Xp Boot Prob - Program Related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

in the last few days I've started to have serious problems booting up this computer. When i boot up, it won't start most times, unless i do the f10 thing, which only works some of the time. i see that as it is trying to boot up, that the number lock key lights up...

i think this may have something to do with some programs i loaded the other day, as i believe this problem only started the following morning. i always turn off my computer at night.

the f8 option doesn't work, if esc or f1 can help me whtn this occurs, i haven't got a clue how...

now here's what's weird, i tried to remove these programs after i finally booted up via f10 - again after repeated failures. however, when i go to control panel - add/remove programs, i ONLY see those programs listed which were preinstalled. all of my programs, the ones i installed myself, are listed on my computer desktop and since this garbage started happening i've been able to use them, or some of them, the ones that i've tried to use since the troubles began...

i thought i might try to do a system restore, but that didn't work either as i suppose the f10 reinstall erased any memory of previous times that the computer was running ok.

i have no idea how the number lock issue comes into play, but now that the computer is running i can turn it off. however, i assume that the next time i have to deal with this it'll show up as on again, as it always does these days or so it seems, when i try to reboot.

any solutions?

[and also , if this isn't a part of the answer you give, i'll pose it separately - how do i get into safe mode, if there is such a thing with xp, and how do burn a recovery cd - if that's even possible with xp. i was told when i got this computer that it wasn't, that xp somehow had solved that problem]

Hi

What is the F10 thing, the F8 thing,come to that what does pressing any of the F keys do,

On my Lappy F2 puts me into the BIOS, and F10 gives me a boot option.

To get into safe mode, you press F8 after the POST screen ( the black screen white writing) and before the XP splash screen appears.

Regards

"What is the F10 thing, the F8 thing,come to that what does pressing any of the F keys do,

On my Lappy F2 puts me into the BIOS, and F10 gives me a boot option.

To get into safe mode, you press F8 after the POST screen ( the black screen white writing) and before the XP splash screen appears."

I'll try to explain. the f10 thing is the key f10, which is one of the three options i'm given at boot up, the first (blue) screen I see BEFORE xp boots up (showing) a black screen with windows xp on it OR before the screen goes from blue to blank, as it does too often these days, meaning it isn't showing the black screen with windows on it, which is what i always see when the boot up proves successful.

the other two options are of course, esc and f1 [key], and that just takes me to some dos looking screen.

As I recall, i used to see 'safe mode' at this juncture on Millenium (around the time i see these 3 options on xp now), but now I can't find it.

What you seem to be saying that you see, Ididmyc600, and I do thank you for answering, sounds a bit different than what I see when i boot up. I'll repeat what I see exactly whenever I boot up

1. blank screen - so I boot up
2. blue screen, with the three options as described above
3. black screen, with windows xp logo on it.

if i get to 3, i'm through and life is grand [actually, it is grand anyway]
but these days, all too often, i always get to step 2, but no further, the screen just goes blank again, as in step one. the only way out of this for me at the moment is to try hitting the f10 key while i'm looking at the blue screen, and that only works 10-20 percent of the time.
as for f8, i was told to hit that key while booting up after doing another search for answers, but nothing happens.

could you please advise, if possible, regarding what you mean if you can in relation to what i'm seeing? i don't know what the post screen is, but i'm guessing it is item 2 as per above... but as i don't know i don't want to mess up until i can be more certain this is what i think it is.

thanks for your answer.

cheers

Hi

Right I'm guessing that you are given some kind of Boot Menu by the PC, this may be because the PC is having trouble finding the correct Boot Device,

When you get the blue screen with the 3 FKeys options, what is written beside each Fkey prompt.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back