XP continually reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdulaOblongata

I have been having a problem with my computer restarting during boot up. What happens is with my computer off I use the power button to turn it on. It goes into its normal boot process but as soon as i log onto my XP account it restarts. It continues this process until I boot in safe mode, where it starts normally. After its fully booted in safe mode I chose the restart option from the "Turn Off Computer" screen. When it restarts it boots normally and I have no other problems (that I know of). I have Windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 with Service Pack 3 installed. When this first started happening I thought it might be some sort of virus but I have been scanning regularly with Symantec Antivirus and it never finds any problems.

Thanks for the help,
Abdula

I would certainly check with some of the far more effective anti-virus checkers - see www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html But in addition, I think you need to do some hardware checking. You may be seeing a hardware problem caused by the computer being cold. Download and run www.memtest86.com as floppy or cd as suits you, and run it all night (7 times minimum), but starting with the PC stone cold please. If no problem turns up in memory checks then find the hard Disc manufacturers test suite download and run that a few hours too, again starting cold. We'll take it on from there.

Disable automatic reboots, in safe mode go to:

Control Panel > System.
Click Advanced Tab
Click Startup & Recovery Settings

At the bottom under this System Failure heading clear the checkbox called "Automatically Restart"

Reboot into normal mode, hopefully instead of an automatic restart you should get an error message (Also known as a Blue Screen of Death)

If you do write down the information on the screen and paste it here along with your System hardware specs, operating system (inc service packs).

If you do NOT get a BsoD when you boot to normal mode try booting with "Last configuration that worked" from the same menu as safe mode.

Or just check EventViewer for any errors

Actually do this:

start->Run-> cmd /c cscript "%windir%\system32\eventquery.vbs /l application /l system /r 25 /v /fi "Type eq error OR Type eq warning" /fi "Datetime gt 03/09/09,12:00:00am" > desktop\events.txt

Then attach the events.txt file on your Desktop to a new reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back