XP Home, USB drivers wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie53

Hello all
Im getting pretty desperate now and i hope you guys can help.
Before i start i have tried to read this up on many forums and absolutely nothing seems to apply.
What my problem is . About 3 weeks ago i bought Two things a Sandisk Flash pen drive and it never at all loaded the drivers it claimed windows held.and never did any of there own such was their confidence in Microsoft. And secondly i bought this Cheap Nasty Card reader C/W USB2.0 port. These both went in around the same time and neither worked.
Then i unplugged my usb controlled Mouse by accident and then plugged it back in only to find once again the drivers won't install. so back to ps2 and fine.
Now i read in one forum that seemed to work for the guy who had a simlar problem as i do but not for me. It was suggested that i uninstalled all my USB controllers in device manager, so i did then each one came up with " windows has found new hardware but when i searched there were none, i even put the XP home CD in (updated with SP3) and it still wouldnt work and the same with XP pro CD.
Then i replaced my new **** card reader with my old relliable one and that now wont load in .
I have been to "my computer/manage/device manager as recommended by another forum
To search for my card reader and NOTHING. Just 2 HDD and 2 DVD drives and 2 Virtual CD drives what ever the hell they are.
Now i have 6 USB ports and 5 of them Give Error Code 1 and the other gives error code 28.
I have tried just about everything and Nothing works. The last thing that i want to do is install XP again because i've been told that i'll lose all my hardware drivers and i dont have the CD's anymore for a few of them. There must be a fix for this somewhere.

I have a HP imeadia PC with Dual processors but no idea what anything else is. I dont even know if i have USB 2.0 ports or 1.1.

Has anyone here got a clue what i could do.

One thing of note is my 2nd PC which has XP pro SP1 the Flash drive worked but not the Tacky Chinese Card reader which wouldn't even fit the Bay properly.

Thanks for your patience.

Wow. you have lotsa things going on

Let's start with some general info...

Sounds like you're already running XP SP3? (which is good) but make sure you are, in fact,
=> Current on all the latest updates
=> From IE, select Tools->Windows Update, click to do Custom updates. Custom provides you 2 categories of "optional" updates. Be sure you install ALL the hardware optional updates (along with the critical ones). Software optional are up to you
=> See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]

Understanding USB device names and power related issues
See [post=752516]How to Check USB Device and USB Hub Power Issues and Limitations[/post]
Thing i want you to understand/learn from that post
=>Understand how to interpret Device Manager devices under USB category
+ Controllers, Root Hubs and Generic Hubs
+ Understand the difference between a USB Port and A USB Hub
=> Understand there are both hi-powered (500mA) and low powered (100mA) hubs/ports.Make sure your devices are connected to ports/hubs that can supply thier power (esp check if they need more then 100mA power)

You may also want to try reinstall both your USB controllers PLUS your motherboard chipset

See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

Finally, some general stuff that may appliy

See [post=752196]How to Check Hardware / Connection Issues with your USB Device[/post]
And note that if you want to report error codes (e.g. codes like in your other post) why don't you do it this way
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back