XP only starts in safe mode, briefly flashes blue screen

Recently changed motherboard, memory, and dvd drive. New board is MSI 785 gtm-e45 with phenom processor. 2gb ddr2 1066 mem. I also switched to a Sata dvd drive because the mboard only has one ITE port.

Before I ordered a new motherboard I tested invidual components and did a pin out of the power supply to verify the motherboard. New components recently came and were installed with anti static procedures in mind. I no longer work with computers so the software is where im having trouble.

The driver cd from MSI will not auto load and an error screen says Failed to Load Harware Monitor Driver so none of the utilities and or hardware devices will install. I tried to install a few manually and a few of them did install but many failed because of a driver related problem. The pc seems to Post well and quickly then when loading the windows splash screen after about 4 passes of the toolbar it quickly reboots to the safe mode screen flashing a blue screen for about a quarter of a second. The comptuer will load in safe mode and I can access the internet. I do not have a true copy of windows, this computer is a continuation of a pc built in like 2004. It is updated to service pack 3 and was running fine until it locked up and had a continuous pc beep a few months ago.

If you have had a similar problem and figured it out please let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks much

Sam Stuard

If you can...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Back