XP Pro Copying setup files error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hi everyone!

I am having a big problem at the moment with my genuine copy of XP Pro SP2. I came to install it on my new computer build after purchasing it several months ago, but the disk somehow seems to be faulty. The setup first of all formatted my brand new seagate hard drive, and when it came to copying the setup files, it got to about 90% before completely stopping and comming up with error messages about how it could not copy certain files. There was an option to skip the file it was unable to copy, so i chose that option, however the same error message came up roughly 20 times before i gave up on having xp installled successfully with everything working.

I have ptetty much come to the conclusion the disk is somehow faulty- Even though it was factory sealed and in mint condition, but i still have the genuine product key!

Therefore, is there anywhere i can download XP Pro- or buy it without the product key (as i dont need it) on the internet, as a new disk should probably solve my problem??

lastly i am unable to get a refund for my product as i purchased it 6 months before i had all of my new computer hardware together!

any help will be greatly appriciated!

thanks in advance!

The error has to do with the CD not being perfectly clean. Just having problem reading file.

Make another copy and see,, gl

First, as suggested, definitely try cleaning the cleaning the CD. Buy a disc cleaner to spray the disk and then one wipes horizontally across the disk (NOT in circular motion) to clean it

you can also try reading it/creating your own personal copy on another machine

>> You can't legally download an XP install disk online and sorry but no one on TechSpot can point you in that direction

Also, i think this problem MIGHT also occur for other reasons (i don't recall for certain)
What are the first two files it complains about? and does it consistently complain about the same first two files? or does it vary?

Can also be a dirty or defective optical drive or memory error.
You can use another Disk of the same vintage, and use your product ID... but that is only helpful if you know where to get the disk... You bought a license... and you have a right to execute that license... but only if you have access to a friend or an office with the same version of Windows... as other versions usually will require a different product ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back