XP SP3 x64 BSOD - Win32k.sys System Service Exception

Hello,

I am having a small BSOD issue. I got my first error last night - stating some issue with my RTKHDA driver - to which, I downloaded and installed the update. (R2.66)

No issues.

Figured, I'd update my video card drivers while I was at it (285.58)- no issues.

Then today, I go to quit playing Left 4 Dead, (I had played Arkham city, Left 4 Dead 2 and Dead Island yesterday and today - no issues whatsoever) - and as soon as I hit quit - Bam! BSOD :

Win32k.sys - System Service Exception

Hoping to get some help in a couple of areas:

1. Figuring out the cause of the BSOD errors
2. Advice on how to identify, and update my drivers as easily as possible
3. Finally, fixing the errors.

I am attaching a copy of each of the mini dump files (2), as well as an updated copy of my dxdiag (txt and xml versions) in order to help facilitate my requests.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC History:

- Brand new motherboard / cpu / hdd last xmas
- 2 Brand new sticks of ram added a month ago

Specs:

XION Power 1000w PSU
AMD Phenom II Black 3.2g Quad Core
12G GSkill Ram
Mainboard - Asus M4A89GTD Pro
HDD - WD Caviar Black SATA3 640G
GPU - BFG GTX 260 896OC (Factory OC)

Cheers.

P.s.

1st BSOD error occurred when exiting a game (Blacklight Retribution)
2nd BSOD error occurred when exiting a game (Left 4 Dead 1)

2 different errors (first was a IRQL not equal or less, 2nd was a system service exception - driver updates to audio and video in between).

Attachments

• Mini Dumps.zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
You should let Windows Update find the drivers for you first. I always update my Nvidia video drivers from here:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You should too. As long as you run Windows Update regularly and you see no yellow exclamation points in the device manager, you shouldn't worry about drivers at all. While you are at it, check here for some info and instructions concerning minidumps and BSOD's:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

Close this please - Took to long to get a reply and was forced to spend 14+ hrs backing up the drive / format / reinstalling

Thanks anyways.

You should always back up important stuff regularly. I can format and get all my important stuff back in 2 hours or less. So don't blame us for you time spent on this...

Back