xp style taskbar choice is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer crashed a few months ago and would not start up properly so I had someone fix it. When I started up my computer again, I immediately noticed that the XP choice was gone from the "Appearance" display properties. It only displays the choice "Windows Classic Style." I have been unsuccessful at finding a solution on the net so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

-xromakx

1. Right click on the desktop and choose Properties.
2. On the Theme tab, choose the Windows XP.
3. If this option is missing, you may choose Browse... to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna.theme
4. The Luna.theme is the theme of the Windows XP.

If Luna.theme is missing: Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Expand Files: Luna.MS_ and Luna.TH_

Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If that doesn`t work,you might have to restart the theme service HERE

No need for that, they probably just disabled the themes service.

Start->Run->"services.msc" (with or without quotes, doesn't really matter in this case): At the bottom of the new window you should see "Themes". To the right it should say "enabled", but they probably put it to "disabled" (for speed; I do this too). Simply double-click the "Themes" service, under "Startup" select "Automatic", and then click on "Start". Then "Apply" and done. Select your XP theme and walla!

Thank you for the swift response but unfortunately, neither of those explanations helped. The Luna.theme file WAS missing and I fixed that but there is still no XP option under "Windows and Buttons" in the "Appearances" tab in the Properties window. And the Themes service was set to automatic as well. As for the fixes on the kellys-korner-xp.com site, I have no idea how to use the Regedits files that you specified, Peddant, so help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks for the attempt though.

Download those three reg files to your desktop,by right clicking on them,then"save to..etc"

When you have them,just double click them.You will be asked if you want to
add them to the registry - click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back