xp works 7.0 word processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought an e-machine last week with 2.6 pentium4 chip and 512 MB memory....nice fast machine....just big enough to cope with AOL 9.0... reason i had to let my old pc go...it couldn't cope with memory needed for AOL front-end loading (in all my days i never known a server provider
to need as much pc memory to connect online).
Another problem has arised...i'm in the middle of sending off resumes by email...all the technical agencies want your resumes posting in word .doc format, my problem is the new machine came with MS works 7.0 which saves in .wps format. The word processor that comes with it is a terrible hashed version of WINWORD..(it is awful)....why are all the new machines being supplied with XP operating system that only allows MS works to run. I've tried to install WINWORD for XP but the system won't allow install....so now i'm stuck with a word processor that saves in .wps when all the agencies use .doc, this must be happening to lots of people out there buying the latest machines, I suppose it will be okay in a few years when everyone is using MS works (this looks the way to go for word processing)....but at the moment they are not.
i've spent the last few days going to sites and forums to look up people with similar problems and there are people just like me with my exact problem, i've looked for any clues or answers but none of them look like they will work so i'm gonna have to rig up my old windows 95 / 32 MB memory computer for word processing in WINWORD and use my new machine for connecting to AOL.
(why do MS have to tinker with things?...they had a good system going with windows 2000 operating system and microsoft office installed)

re..

also...before anyone replies with:
works 7.0 allows you to save as .doc file,.....yes it does, but from what i've been reading on other sites when you open that works .doc file in WINWORD it screws it all up into a mess....I may as well just send my resume as a .txt file in notepad.
Also, there is a convertor software that allows conversion from .wps to .doc, but not all agencies who ask for your resume in .doc format will have this convertor software....and I heard that the convertor software also messes up the document...so there is no way around this. I'll have to wait a few years until i see agencies and companies wanting your resume sent in .wps format.

re:

i've even thought about the option of getting rid of the new XP operating system on the new machine and loading windows 98...this way i can have a big machine for AOL connection and be able to install the old Winword software to save my resume in .doc format.

A friend of mine had the same problem, new Dell PC with that crappy M$ doesnotWorks.
I solved it by installing Office 2000 on that PC, works like a charm.

You would of think they would release an updated converter for Works version 7.

But then they did a great job of hiding the converter that allows you to open Works 4x-6 in any version of Office from 97 to 2003, available here btw:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=EN

Find it funny to find a converter that will allow conversion of works files to be buried in the Works download section ;)

I work at a college IT department help desk so I know about having to convert students Word Perfect / Works documents to an MS Office only campus :(

I didn't know they now allow Works users to save as *.doc, a very welcome feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back