Yahoo email problems with verizon dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi helpful people, i recently (yesterday) installed Verizon DSL and have no problems with it except that when i access my Yahoo mail it takes frustratingly forever to download anything. When i used my old ISP again, as i haven't cancelled it yet, Yahoo worked fine. So i contacted Verizon who told me it was either a Yahoo problem or a computer problem??? When i informed them that it only started when i installed their software, and went away when i used my other ISP, they inferred i was some kind of ignorant *****. They were absolutely no help. So what gives? Am i some kind of ignorant *****, or could it indeed be Verizon stuffing it up? Everything else downloads fine. Could it be that i have mainly Australian Yahoo email addresses, thereby creating some sort of spam problem? I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Doz

it could be many things, but let's start with some basics.
You mentioned Verizon DSL, implying a telephone connection rather than
a cable. Secondly, how do you access your original ISP; dial-up?

Started after loading their software -- what does that package do?
Is it like AOL which presents the whole interface of a browser (totally unnecessary).

With the DSL modem in place, I would bet you could just start any browser and
it would access the Internet just fine - - including your Yahoo Email. Once your
computer has IP, Gateway and DNS addresses, your good to go and all programs
which have tcp/ip ability will run without knowing how or who(the isp) got
installed or configured.

you can verify your tcp thus;
run->enter the word
cmd
hit enter
then type
ipconfig /all

results look like
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxx.adelphia.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B1-3C-CC-1D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . ... . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.111.16.30
Lease Obtained. . . . . . .. . . : Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:39:49 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . .. . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

but your specifics will be unique to Verizon

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Verizon about this problem. My browsers are working fine, everything works fine, downloads fast, goes to any site, except won't work properly on my australian yahoo email addresses. My yahoo email address for USA works fine too, it's just my australian ones that i have a problem with. They take forever to download. I've been plugging AOL dial-up back in to read my yahoo mail from Australia. Waaay waay much quicker than Verison dsl! Is that a joke or what??? After much discussion and remote access to my computer, Verizon eventually admitted, very grudgingly, that it was maybe their fault. But they don't seem to have any answer for me. I think the Verizon software was only for the modem, haven't noticed anything else regarding their software on my computer. I have an Australian ISP also, and Verizon accessed my email account with them no problem, so it's just peculiar to Yahoo. I tried from my husband's computer, and the problem is the same, so it's not my computer.
Doz

ok, so i just spent another hour or so on the phone with Verizon and we practically did loops and headstands to get that darn aussie site working.
We've cleared temp pages and cookies.
Added the site to trusted sites.
Put in manual Tcp/ip
Cleared SSL sites
And a lot of other stuff i can't remember.
Turned the modem off and on and juggled it with the computer on my head.
Still nothing. The 'technician' eventually ran out of options. That would be 'Verizon' options. Which are probably very limited. It's the weirdest thing that yahoo.com.au is the one site that won't work proberly.
I'm sure somebody knows the answer. This is a real challenge, right? I would appreciate any options you guys might have.
doz

mercy! Using Firefox 1.0.6 on a 1.3ghz laptop, my access to
http://yahoo.com.au/ was FAST. I can't verify yahoo email of course,
but this suggests something local to your system. What browser are you
using, IE?

Have you tried running Spywareblaster to get control of ActiveX
or Spybot Search & Destroy to control spyware junk? You unknowingly
might be passing thru a spyware proxy and slowing down because of it.

as well as IE i also have the latest Firefox and the same problem occurs using it. But IE and Firefox download my aussie mail fast with AOL dial up, and any other ISP's i can access on my wireless laptop, so i can't see why spyware wouldn't slow them down too, if that was the case. It's just peculiar to Verizon. But i will try your suggestions re the spyware. I have Adaware which i run frequently, also pc-cillen anti virus has a spyware program which catches a lot of junk. I will run Spywareblaster and Spybot and see if that makes any difference. Thank you for your patience.
doti

Hi Doti,

Is in any way your dial up set up differently that lets you connect to yahoo au, that's not configured with your DSL??

cT

...um..not sure what you mean by that. i just plug the phone line in and go for dial up, no worries there. And when i go wireless, i just pick up a random wireless connection in my building and i have no problems connecting with aussie yahoo. So i guess maybe, yes, Verizon is set up differently somehow, and that seems to be the root of the problem. Verizon sure as hell don't know what's different. I guess i'm going to have to change all my aussie yahoo addies to USA yahoo. I'm really hoping to avoid that as it will cause considerable inconvenience to me, but if all else fails......
doti

try using http://au.yahoo.com/

doz said:
So i guess maybe, yes, Verizon is set up differently somehow, and that seems to be the root of the problem.
doti

btw: your reference to http://yahoo.com.au gets redirected (at least for me on Adelphia.net)
as http://au.yahoo.com/
These are very different DNS requests and could be impacted by a bug called
DNS Cache Posioning (you can't resolve this from your system).

Name: yahoo.com.au has two Addresses: 202.3.14.163, 202.3.14.164

watch this
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: au.w.yahoo.com
Addresses: 202.3.14.159, 202.3.14.158
Aliases: au.yahoo.com

neither of the first addresses is repeated in the latter, so mapping the path

NSLOOKUP on 202.3.14.159, it takes 17 notes to arrive at au.yahoo.com

NSLOOKUP on 202.3.14.163 takes the same number(17)
but has some different nodes in the routing, but arrives at a host that is reasonable.

I do note a strange report for node 4 in all cases:
3 15 ms 10 ms 11 ms 24.48.219.209
4 11 ms 8 ms * 192.168.0.5 <<<<
5 15 ms 12 ms * g4-00-01-00.a1.lax9.adelphiacom.net [66.109.15.89]

this looks bad to me (192.168.x.x) as it should be a private LAN address and
never seen here, althought it *might* appear IF a host was a pass-thru
intermediary used to access another outbound NIC elsewhere at this site.

at any rate, either arrives in Sydney
17 163 ms 161 ms 163 ms p4.syd.yahoo.com [202.3.14.159]
17 164 ms 161 ms 161 ms i3.syd.yahoo.com [202.3.14.163]

http://202.3.14.159/ is a good page
http://202.3.14.163/ is a 404 page not found :mad:

try using http://au.yahoo.com/ instead and see what you get

ok, now i'm confused. when i say i'm having trouble with yahoo.com.au, that is my email addy, i.e. freddie@yahoo.com.au. I don't actually try to reach a site 'yahoo.com.au.' I just log on normally to Yahoo and because i have .au at the end of my yahoo email addies, the yahoo site has trouble downloading my email. Did i misunderstand you? or does that make sense?
doti

doz said:
ok, now i'm confused. when i say i'm having trouble with yahoo.com.au, that is my email addy, i.e. freddie@yahoo.com.au. I don't actually try to reach a site 'yahoo.com.au.' I just log on normally to Yahoo and because i have .au at the end of my yahoo email addies, the yahoo site has trouble downloading my email. Did i misunderstand you? or does that make sense?
doti

you're ok. Try using freddie@au.yahoo.com. This will take you to a different
server, but you'll still get your personal mail box.

The suggestion by ChineseTechie will give email access using the webserver
itself, instead of using your email reader and downloading to your machine.
This provides email access, but you'll not have a history saved on your
machine. This might be a major consideration for business email.

no go. anything concerning yahoo and .au seems to go slower than a stoned lizard. thank you all for your suggestions. Believe me i try them all! This problem is a definite doozie. iI can't conceive why this would even occur. I know it's not my computer, and i know it's not yahoo. I don't have this problem with AOL or any other ISP, except Verizon. Therefore one would logically conclude that it's a Verizon problem, but they're limited in their technical support, and throw them a curly one like this and their brain cogs start smoldering and burn out immediately. But please keep throwing your ideas this way, i'm willing to give anything a go!
doti

That site http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.int=au is just the logon page for aus/nz yahoo. I don't have any problem getting to that page, it's super quick. My problem is once i have entered my details and hit enter, then it takes forever to load. Each and every page takes at least two or three minutes once i enter that site, it's like dial up on an extremely bad day, or in slow motion. I've been reading not so happy reports about my Westell Versalink 327W modem that Verizon supplied and i'm wondering if it could be anything to do with that. But seeing as i'm networking challenged, i wouldn't know where to start if it was.
doti

well, I've created jobauid@ that site and have no problem sending or receiving
using the webmail (ie browser) interface. I assume this is the same means of access you're using (ie not Outlook Express).

I am all out of ideas why you're having problems, sorry

jobeard said:
I am all out of ideas why you're having problems, sorry

just thought of something else. I have seen systems that take long times to
bring-up the mail box due to the VOLUME of of preexisting mail.

Try this, signup for another id and treat it as a throw away.
login, send something to yourself(at this new id), and check for new mail.
log off,
log back on
see if this id is any better/worse.

If it's better, you might like to suffer a login to the original and prune out
old stuff.

Same problem, but with regular yahoo email and verizon dsl

Hello...I just moved and had my Verizon DSL activated on WED. Since then, I've been unable to open my inbox (or any other mail link on yahoo email, for that matter) since I've been connecting to the internet via Verizon DSL. However, when I use the same laptop, but dial up, I have no problem. When, I use the same laptop and connect on the work LAN, I have no problem. When, I use the same laptop and connect to an unsecure wireless link, I have no problem.

However, when I connect with Verizon DSL, I have been unable to view my emails in yahoo email...(please note, this is the US yahoo and NOT the au one). I have tried at times ranging from 1am, 6am, noon, and 4pm - 11pm...over 100 attempts since WED...same for my wife. Additionally, I have another yahoo email which is 0% full and SAME problem.

Any thoughts? Could there be some type of conflict or firmware or driver for the Westall Verizon DSL modem? Any settings to manipulate (like the earlier post, I've cleared temp files, spoken for 90 min to Verizon and they didn't know either).

Please help.....thanks.

Thanks anyway JoBeard, i appreciate the time you spent on this. And i already tried a new ozzie addy, it was one of the early efforts. :)
doti

Same problem

Just wanted to add one more voice to the choir. Added Verizon DSL to my home about a month ago and immediately lost my ability to get Yahoo Mail (and to enlarge Yahoo Maps).

It worked fine when I had a cable modem. Now I can't access it either from my PC running Windows 98 SE or from my Powerbook running OS X. (I can, however, access it from any computer away from home.) I've made two calls to Verizon. The first guy just cut me off after he ran out of options, and the second guy sheepishly admitted he didn't have an answer for me.

I'm just about ready to drop them and get a cable modem.

is everyone here that is experiencing this problem tried going directly from modem to computer, bypassing the routing device on their network.

i have been looking at other forums because this seems crazy... i found one place where one user resolved this problem by updating the firmware on their linksys router.

its a shot in the dark but it may help

Wanted to add one more to the list of people having the same issue.

For me, it seems to be all email. I cannot access Yahoo, Hotmail, even Verizon's own email. I can read my GMail, but cannot reply.

I have had Verizon for two years now, the problem started about the time of the Security Patch 2 rollout I believe. Before that I had no problems accessing the email. All calls to Verizon support have led to nothing, the last one wanted me to call Microsoft to solve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if this will help, but go to Verizon sign in, then go to Help, Announcements, and go to 'Statement From Verizon Regarding Spam Filtering'.
It then directs you to a Whitelist page where you can enter any email addresses you are having trouble with. I did this about a week ago and haven't heard anything yet, but i think it takes a few weeks to get any action, it may not even make any difference, but it's worth a try. Nobody at Verizon even mentioned this problem, or to try their Whitelist to try and solve it???!!!, it was by accident i found it. If all else fails, it's worth giving it a go. good luck!
doti

i just want to add for people having the same problem as me, that about 2 weeks after putting my aussie email addresses on the whitelist, they now work perfectly!!!????? Coincidence??!! it's obviously some kind of international spam blocking that Verizon have, but they don't wish to share that information with their customers, or their technical staff either for that matter!! My already low estimation of Verizon 'customer service' has now dropped impossibly lower.
doz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back