Young people chime in on quitting social media

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Social media has become the primary means of communication for billions of people around the globe, especially younger users. But is being connected and giving everyone a voice 24/7 really such a good thing? Does it improve our lives at all?

To answer some of those questions and more, The Guardian recently asked several younger readers that have quit social media to chime in on the subject. The results may surprise you.

Daisy, a 23-year-old from Manchester, said Facebook made her feel anxious, depressed and like a failure as she watched others with seemingly perfect lives land great jobs, get engaged and so on. Her life changed for the better after deleting social media, she said, as she now enjoys catching up with friends. The experience also made her realize who her real friends were and how social media can zap the joy out of sharing news with people.

George Lincoln, a 17-year-old from Hampshire, said he has been off Facebook for two weeks and hasn’t felt tempted to return. What started out as a place where friends could talk has become much more trivial, replaced with articles others “like” and comments he isn’t interested in.

Ben from Surrey said he’s always seen social media as a platform in which people constantly seek attention and validation through one-upping the comments of others. He notes that we haven’t needed social media for thousands of years yet now some people think their lives are over if they don’t have it which is ridiculous (his words, not mind).

Rosanna Cassidy of Nottingham said she was sick and tired of people trying to force their political beliefs on her and found it depressing that people would repeat views they had heard that weren’t even true. With Facebook three months in the rear-view mirror, she said she feels much happier and more content. Part of that has to do with being able to live her life instead of trying to shape it into one that simply looks desirable online. Very well said.

This subject hits home with me as I personally quit Facebook a little over four years ago. While I can certainly relate to the benefits of leaving social media behind, it’s not quite as simple as it seems. Perhaps one day I’ll elaborate on my journey since saying goodbye in August 2012.

Image courtesy Tom Grill, Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I can add my name to the group of people that was on social media and left. I have not had any regrets. It seems like most people I talk to that has done the same just has the same feeling as I that the Cons just far outweigh the Pros of using it. I just wish we could get more websites and forums get away from making you have to have Facebook, Twitter, etc to read articles or post something in the comments.

To most of those things that those younger people say... dont focus on it. You can be on social media and not take it so seriously. People use social media differently, in some ways... posting articles you like trying to spread good information, or just posting pictures of your dinner every night. People posting political crap, of course it happens, but you dont see it on JUST FACEBOOK. I guess, for some of these points, do they not watch the news? Do they also avoid watching TV shows where people are successful, because it makes them feel worse about their lives? I dont know... I just feel like, if you dont like it, dont read it, dont log into it. Like, deleting the account is the deciding factor. Anyone get what I'm trying to say here?

Never been a real facebook user. I made a bogus account only for online travel deals and to know events near my place. Most post are just bragging what they bought or what they did good that day. In facebook they can talk all they like even without hesitation in a sense if they do not feel the same belief of another person, they post comments not even their mom would be proud of and one of the worst thing is spreading false news like a mermaid caught in a pond or a mom gave birth to 10 babies. Yeah, people do believe.

I'm in my early 20's and I use FB more to keep track of interesting things and some news. Don't really have too many friends on it, and the ones I do are more down to earth and almost no drama. It's also easier to send links and pictures to my friends on FB than by text or email lol

Avid Facebook user here. When I see a political post, I do this amazing thing called, "scrolling past it." It's pretty easy. I see a post I don't like, I just keep scrolling. Pretty simple and drama free. Also, if you compare your life to others, that's your own fault. Try working on those issues.

If you don't want to use social media, that's fine. You do you. But don't blame you not wanting to use it on others. 9 times out of 10, you're the problem, not them.

Besides, it's not really much different from real life interaction. My friends tell me about new jobs and raises and buying a new house and giving birth in real life just as much as they do on Facebook. One uppinig also happens just as much. Soooooo...not really seeing the differences here. BUT, maybe that's just me. We're all different.

I have always taken a limited approach to my social media. One is used for a work project (twitter) and my personal Facebook has always just had people I would actually consider close friends, so all of like 15-20 people are ever on it. I have even had coworkers ask why I haven't added them to my facebook when they request, I am pretty blunt about it, we are co-workers not friends. It's just like in real life, you keep yourself surround by those you enjoy being around and share common beliefs with. I would never want to have 800 peoples opinions and likes put onto a wall everyday for me to read, because there's no way I would care about 99% of it.

I have always taken a limited approach to my social media. One is used for a work project (twitter) and my personal Facebook has always just had people I would actually consider close friends, so all of like 15-20 people are ever on it. I have even had coworkers ask why I haven't added them to my facebook when they request, I am pretty blunt about it, we are co-workers not friends. It's just like in real life, you keep yourself surround by those you enjoy being around and share common beliefs with. I would never want to have 800 peoples opinions and likes put onto a wall everyday for me to read, because there's no way I would care about 99% of it.

Greetings, fellow introvert! Isn't the clarity that comes with not caring about trivial matters amazing?

Avid Facebook user here. When I see a political post, I do this amazing thing called, "scrolling past it." It's pretty easy. I see a post I don't like, I just keep scrolling. Pretty simple and drama free. Also, if you compare your life to others, that's your own fault. Try working on those issues.

If you don't want to use social media, that's fine. You do you. But don't blame you not wanting to use it on others. 9 times out of 10, you're the problem, not them.

Besides, it's not really much different from real life interaction. My friends tell me about new jobs and raises and buying a new house and giving birth in real life just as much as they do on Facebook. One uppinig also happens just as much. Soooooo...not really seeing the differences here. BUT, maybe that's just me. We're all different.
If your friends one up you the way some facebook user do then you might not have great friends. By the way, this is an ironic comment.

I'm 26 and I've been off Facebook for almost a year now (October is the anniversary!)

Haven't really missed it at all, the only thing I do miss is all the updates on the bands I listen to about new releases etc.

I think theres something wrong with the articels headline, shouldn't it be antisocial media? Studies have even proved that it makes people more selfcentered and conserned about their looks and likes and fears and tears..

I have LinkedIN for professional and business purposes. So how am I to judge, but think of this scenario;

You meet an old friend of yours, for the first time in 2 years and you both are active in facebook.
1. You say "hi how are things?"
2. He/she answeres; "Hey great thanks, I just... "
3. You; "Yeah I read about it in facebook"
4. He/she; "oh right, want to go grab something to eat, I know this great place..."
5. You; "Yeah I read about it in facebook"
6. He/she; "Have you seen this review about it on facebook?"
7. You; "Link me, I will read it too"
8. You sit in that uncomfortable silence with your smartphones in your hand reading some F'* review.

Another scenario, same story but without facebook;
1. You say "hi how are things?"
2. He/she "Great thanks I just got married to x and things have worked out really well so far I'm so happy!"
3. You "Wow nice is that the same x you dated back then when we used to hang around?"
4. He/she "Yeah yeah same x, I think I love x. Actually theres this great new restaurant nearby, You hungry?"
5. You; "Ye , Let's go I'm always down for a new place around here, where to?"
6. He/she "Follow me, my friend told me about it, he said they serve the best food in town! So excited to try it out."
7. You; "Nice, hope your friend is right, hehe"
8. You sit in that wonderful joy of good food, few beers, have laughs, reminice the old times, cherish what you both got there as friends, share the experience, share the more important things and both of you listen and give attention back like humans are meant to.

Just think of it. Thanks.

Saying what I was saying, only worded better maybe. lol

I only count "friends" that are alive and are human. Social media is nothing more that "data mining". The moment you logged on to the internet you lost all your privacy. They manipulated you into giving them all your data by "sharing it" with your "friends online". Ask your digital friends to meet you and buy you a coffee. Here is some music while you wait for them to show up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N03Uoj6p9QA

The new social media used be considered anti social behavior when it people were stuck on a pc.

Back