Your thoughts about Lycoris Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be....

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Why these "newbie" distros always look & behave like Window$? Is that really the "easiest" OS for beginners? :dead:

Could it perhaps be because allmost all home 'puters sold are with windows pre-installed? Could it be because that's what most people use at school/work?
Or could it simply be because the windows setup is an easy one to use? ;)

Granted, when you get "into the know" of computers the command line isn't so frightening, nor is it a problem if things aren't located in the same folder, or the windows doesn't look like they do on a windows machine...

But what if you don't really want to learn too much about computers, and just want to use it for recreation/work?
Would you then even contemplate to switch to another platform than the one "everyone knows and loves"?

Most of the linux users want to get more and more people to change from windows to linux... The easiest way to do that is to give the users a familiar setup in which they won't have to use the commandline unless they want to...
Then price it below M$ offerings and start an ad campain...

I've been thinking about trying to get the local government to change from windows to a linux distro to save money, but when I thought of all the training the users (nevermind the admins) would have to go through, it suddenly wasn't feasible!

But with an interface like Lycoris', it wouldn't be all that hard...

Sorry if I sound sarcastic and harsh, but... What other OS is there to look like and still be easy to use?

Mac's? C'mon, how many people do you know who use a mac?
BeOs, not any users left to migrate (ok, maybe a few, but ;))
Amiga? Possibly a good interface, but too few(if any) knows it....
Windows, why there seems to be an abundance of users who know how to use this interface, why not use it?

You get my point :)
Now I'm off to bed, and should be able to use a less annoying tone when I wake up again :D

Point is the average Joe doesn't care whether they run Windows or Linux. They just want to get the job done. That means not having to go to the command line just to get to a get a task done.

ss1.

Originally posted by ss1
To me it looks good for the abosoulte newbie to linux :).

Review here:

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=23186,00.asp

Lycoris product page here:

http://www.lycoris.com/products/

ss1.
I used it when it was Redmond Linux, didn't know they changed names. All was good until the first reboot (even dealt with the windows network I'm on as far as seeing the comps), then I met the GRUB>_ and was like "oh ****" so I scrambled to learn things and basically became frusterated when things didn't work and I wiped the mbr and the linux partitions and the Windows XP partition :( . So that wasn't fun, but I think somewhere in the installation it probably asked me what I wanted for a bootloader and I probably just missed it. I'd like to give it a shot again but would like someone else to do it first and see if it does ask about bootloader, or maybe I could just learn how to boot windows from the grub prompt. Anyway it was just a case of me being less informed than I should have been when I jumped in with both feet.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Why these "newbie" distros always look & behave like Window$? Is that really the "easiest" OS for beginners? :dead:

concurr. its another world! experience it!!!!!!!

Installing Linux (or some other Unixes) does not mean it has to be done from command line. There have been GUI installers for years.
Originally posted by MrGaribaldi:
Sorry if I sound sarcastic and harsh, but... What other OS is there to look like and still be easy to use?

Mac's? C'mon, how many people do you know who use a mac?
BeOs, not any users left to migrate (ok, maybe a few, but )
Amiga? Possibly a good interface, but too few(if any) knows it....
Windows, why there seems to be an abundance of users who know how to use this interface, why not use it?
I know some Mac users. If I had money I'd be one, too. And I recommend BeOS for everyone, though Be, Inc. doesn't exist anymore. Amiga is an excellent choice, I own two of them too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back