YouTube to launch "channels" with scheduled programming

Shawn Knight

Staff member
YouTube will soon be delivering more than a dozen "channels" that will provide regularly scheduled programming covering topics such as sports and fashion. Parent company Google is expected to finalize…

Read the whole story

G

Google is HUGE!!! But really what is the practicality of it when you can just turn on the T.V?

Modena

I never watch tv anymore, well for football. This would be great for watching shows I like exactly when I have time to watch them.

lawfer

Once initial investments have been replenished, YouTube will invite partners in for ad revenue sharing. There?s no word regarding if these channels would come as part of a paid membership or be made free for anyone to view.
Why would they charge users for something like that? More importantly, who would pay to--what is essentially--watch T.V.?

NTAPRO

I wouldn't mind watching CartoonNetwork and Boomerang since I have no cable and CN got funny and left regular cable here :/

treetops

Pssh if youtube obtains hulu half of hulus videos would be taken down. I like the idea but its to bad the shows will be limited by youtubes sensorship.

By the way I was assuming that these would be unique shows not rebroadcasts.

MilwaukeeMike

Wow, Google really takes the cake for coming up with ideas that I completely can't understand the demand for. it's like TV over the internet? What?! So I sacrifice my perfect HD channels with my DVR to watch on the internet with loading, buffering, (and you know commercial breaks), but I don't even get to start the show 'on demand'?! And unless i'm using an HTPC I won't have DVR capabilities to fast forward commercials and pause/rewind. AND, that still only would appeal to people who watch streamed content on their TV and not their computer.

Clearly google has too much time AND money.