ZenBook 3 Review: Asus made a faster MacBook that runs Windows

Scorpus

Staff member

Laptop manufacturers are still striving for the thinnest and lightest products they can develop. Apple has been the leader in this market for some time, producing high quality designs like the MacBook, but over the past year we’ve seen PC manufacturers join the party in a significant way. Just a few months ago I was reviewing the attractive HP Spectre, which was surprisingly decent for a laptop so thin.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been testing Asus’ competitor in this space, the ZenBook 3. Of all the ultrathin laptops I’ve reviewed, the ZenBook is most like Apple’s MacBook from a design perspective. It packs a 12.5-inch display, an edge-to-edge keyboard, and a single USB-C port for charging and all connectivity.

Where the ZenBook pulls away from the MacBook is on the inside. While the current MacBook packs an Intel ‘Skylake’ Core M processor, the ZenBook uses a current-generation, full-powered ‘Kaby Lake’ Core i5/i7 CPU. The performance difference between Core M and Core i7 is significant, and allows the ZenBook to deal with more tasks simultaneously.

Read the complete review.

No matter how thin it gets...

No matter how long the battery lasts...

Whether it has 16GB of RAM or 128GB of RAM...

It can't run OSX and it will never be a "mac".

And that's the reason iOS and OS:X stand alone.

I personally prefer Windows to OS:X, but I'd never choose Android over iOS.

People who spend over $1000 to buy an ultralight laptop are most likely going to Apple. Their computer's build quality is higher - even if other companies produce a lighter or thinner product.

Last edited:
No matter how thin it gets...

No matter how long the battery lasts...

Whether it has 16GB of RAM or 128GB of RAM...

It can't run OSX and it will never be a "mac".

And that's the reason iOS and OS:X stand alone.

I personally prefer Windows to OS:X, but I'd never choose Android over iOS.

People who spend over $1000 to buy an ultralight laptop are most likely going to Apple. Their computer's build quality is higher - even if other companies produce a lighter or thinner product.
This is not an article about mobile OS's but we're all clear on how biased you are.

I think that you are confused as most thin-and-light ultraportables are purchased at the enterprise level and those tend to be from vendors who offer enterprise support like HP.

At $1,099 for the base model with a Core i7-7200U, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD, the ZenBook 3 is a good $200 cheaper than the base MacBook...

This should say i5 :). (Ed. note: fixed, thanks!)

This piece of hardware appeals to me. I've been waiting a long time for PC manufacturers to compete with Apple's build quality. That being said, I'm not your typical end-user and I don't know how much demand there is for something like this. The price is right, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A macbook wannabee! Too bad no matter what they do they can't catch up with the macbook quality and customer support. Resale value for zenbook is below average. At that price and intended use as a portable machine, the macbook is way way ahead.

A macbook wannabee! Too bad no matter what they do they can't catch up with the macbook quality and customer support. Resale value for zenbook is below average. At that price and intended use as a portable machine, the macbook is way way ahead.

I believe that ultimately no one can compete with Apple because of the operating system.

'cause crapple is the bomb in generating sales ... everyone wants to be in the show ... sorry ASSus it has been tried before and failed. Why not try next time to come with a product with useful feats ... you know, a potential customer would actually be interested in. If I want to buy macbooks, I will go to apple, not asus.

"a single USB-C port for charging and all connectivity."

*****IC. Why even bother reviewing such an offensively stupid product then?

If that weren't bad enough, there's the shitty glossy screen. Look at that sheen in those pictures, totally washing out whatever it is you're trying to see on the screen. Are those the "deeper blacks" and "richer colors" some salesman promised you with glossy? HA HA.

Another clickbait article with misleading title:
"Asus Made a Faster MacBook" -- in plain English, that means that Asus manufactured a MacBook. Given that Apple devoutly denies anyone else from creating devices using its OS, this title was an eyeball catcher.

"Asus Made a Faster MacBook" -- in plain English, that means that Asus manufactured a MacBook. Given that Apple devoutly denies anyone else from creating devices using its OS, this title was an eyeball catcher.
Bruce, I stated the same as you but my comments were deleted so will be yours

For those even slightly familiar with the tech world, I think it would be patently obvious that this was in no way intended to "trick" readers into thinking that Asus had actually made a MacBook, complete with MacOS...

Anyone with even a glimmer of intellect should have realized that it meant that Asus had made a PC laptop VERY SIMILAR to the MacBook and designed to compete with the MacBook...

Of course, after typing this, I see your problem....

For those even slightly familiar with the tech world, I think it would be patently obvious that this was in no way intended to "trick" readers into thinking that Asus had actually made a MacBook, complete with MacOS...

Anyone with even a glimmer of intellect should have realized that it meant that Asus had made a PC laptop VERY SIMILAR to the MacBook and designed to compete with the MacBook...

I think it's also a tacit admission that it's more likely than not that people with MacBooks are running Windows not OSX. That's why the Asus can compete with the MacBook; Windows is more important than the hardware.

'
Well, it's still a pretty small number.... but I suppose that could also be true...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/04/using-the-retina-macbook-as-a-windows-pc/
I am not sure of the exact numbers but Apple gave the "official" reason to switch to Intel processors being the superior performance and roadmap for Intel over PowerPC.

Going through the process to officially support Windows though shows that it's a driving force for consumers to purchase their laptops. I'd think it with the way Apple handles customer's wishes (telling them they're "holding it wrong" or that USB Type-A is now a "legacy port") it's bigger than they're willing to admit.

Or it could be that I value truth and clarity in reporting. This isn't a Facebook post, where you can't trust anything people write. This is supposed to be a reputable tech news site.

Or it could be that I value truth and clarity in reporting. This isn't a Facebook post, where you can't trust anything people write. This is supposed to be a reputable tech news site.
And there is nothing about this article that you can't "trust"... Just because you misunderstood the title doesn't mean that the information contained inside was incorrect!

Only the absolute fools actually thought that Asus actually made a MacBook!! Obviously, the title meant it made something very similar - not the author's fault you didn't understand something so obvious!

I didn't misunderstand the title at all. It's perfectly clear what it's about: to draw people in to read the article. Websites like this live and die on pages being looked at.

I didn't misunderstand the title at all. It's perfectly clear what it's about: to draw people in to read the article. Websites like this live and die on pages being looked at.
Yes.... But it draws people in thinking that Asus has built something COMPARABLE to a MacBook.... Only a m0ron would think Asus is actually making MacBooks....

Yes.... But it draws people in thinking that Asus has built something COMPARABLE to a MacBook.... Only a m0ron would think Asus is actually making MacBooks....
I think we've both made our points, and we will agree to disagree.
It's unfortunate that you are incapable of presenting a reasonable case without resorting to personal insults. That's a typical sign of a weak argument.
I will not respond to any more or your patronizing and arrogant comments. If putting down other people is how you get your jollies, I feel sorry for you. Good-bye.

Back