Zone Labs acquired for $205 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Check Point Software Technologies plans to buy Zone Labs, which makes security software for desktops, for $205 million, an effort to broaden its product line.

Check Point also hopes the acquisition will help it better position itself competitively through diversification. Security companies previously had only specialized in a few products. Now most are trying to sell a broad array of products that will work in concert. Symantec for instance, bought two software companies specializing in management tools that, over time, will make it easier for customers to update their security systems.

Read more: CNet News.

I'm surprised Zone Labs sold out. I always thought they were doing very well for business and didn't need to sell their company to anyone else. I could understand if they partnered with Check Point Software Technologies, but they are just selling out.

At least they gave them a stock option, which I think will be very profitable for Zone Labs in the end, when CPST takes off with their newly acquired division.

I wonder if they are going to continue to offer support for existing users?

I wonder what this means for Zone Alarm. I use the free version. Will it continue to be free? Will Zone Alarm even continue or will they scrap it? Or try to integrate it into their own brand name? Mergers bring too many questions about future development of current products...

I hope this does not affect the distribution of Zone Lab's free ZoneAlarm firewall. I use it myself and find it to be quite helpful. If it is discontinued, I'm sure it'll easily become outdated and not so useful anymore. I wouldn't mind paying for ZoneAlarm Pro, but when I get exactly what I need from an already-free product, it kind of stinks to have to pay for another one.

Hope this merger won't affect ZoneAlarm.

I'm sure Check Point Software Technologies will not discontinue the use of Zone Alarm, as there are millions of people who use it. That would be a horrible thing for them to do, lose all those potential customers.

I don't think they would discontinue the free version, this wouldn't be a good move IMO. Though they may decide it is the profitable thing to do.
Another valid concern is integration, they may integrate ZA into another product and not offer it as a separate tool, though that alslo doesn't seem likely. I'm sure there are likely to be some interface changes, and possibly some amount of integration with other CPS products, but hopefully that will not affect the functionality or the ease of use for users of ZA and ZAP.

the newest free version of zonealarm has caused me some problems. on a fresh install of xp, it locks up half-life (and all its mods) after i try to click lan game. my computer then would not respond, forcing me to press the reset button. i enabled half-life as a trusted program under program control and it still messes up. i suppose i will install norton again.

You will still need to 'tweak' the settings to make sure it all works correctly. I haven't used it personally, but I know that some software requires you to add the host servers as trusted services for it to work properly. You will either have to turn ZA off or lower your settings, but those are both bad ideas IMO.

Just a quick observation for those who have cable, isdn, or dsl. Before upgrading to a Pro version of ZA or any of the other software firewalls, you might want to look into using a router even if you have only one computer. With the falling prices (some as low as $20), they are far superior to any software solution. And in my opinion, they are easier to set up and tweak.

Originally posted by {{clewless}}
Just a quick observation for those who have cable, isdn, or dsl. Before upgrading to a Pro version of ZA or any of the other software firewalls, you might want to look into using a router even if you have only one computer. With the falling prices (some as low as $20), they are far superior to any software solution. And in my opinion, they are easier to set up and tweak.

As well, keep in mind that your best protection is layering. Hardware firewall (router), software firewall and good AV with an occasional shot of Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D will keep you, for the most part, in good shape.

Well, whatever's going to happen a new version of Zone Alarm has been released, so seems the acquistions had no immediate effect anyway.

I agree with the above, except for the selling out part... that's the name of the game in business, if you can sell the company and it's what you want, do it. i hate the term selling out. unless it simply meant selling the company.
also, even if they kill the free version, the old ones are still out there and do a great job. i know a lack of updates would stink, but i'd just stick with the version i have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back