Konami on Monday confirmed that Silent Hills, what was to be the next chapter in the popular horror series Silent Hill, has indeed been canceled.
In a statement issued to multiple gaming sites, Konami described the status of Silent Hills as “embryonic.” The publisher did note, however, that it wasn’t abandoning Silent Hill as it will continue to develop the series.
Silent Hills debuted during Gamescom last year. Instead of a simple cinematic trailer, gamers were treated to the world’s first interactive teaser simply known as P.T. It was being developed by Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima and Mexican film director Guillermo del Toro and was to feature the likeness of Norman Reedus who plays Daryl in AMC’s The Walking Dead.
For gamers that have been following rumblings regarding the title over the past several days, the writing was pretty much on the wall.
Last Friday, it was revealed that the game’s playable teaser would be removed from the PlayStation Store on April 29. A day later at a film festival in San Francisco, del Toro reportedly told attendees that the game wasn’t going to happen. That sentiment was echoed by Reedus via Twitter on Sunday.
Fans of the horror genre had been looking forward to Silent Hills ever since its reveal. Kojima told GameSpot last year that they were aiming to create a game so scary that it’ll make you shit your pants. He even joked that a limited edition of the game would come with a pair of pants.