The crashing problem that won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is a problem I have been having for years. I suspect I have a badly put-together system, as it's manifested itself in different ways over the years. It used to be garbled display output, so we replaced the video card - that seemed to sort it. Then it was random freezing-up - we replaced the PSU. The problems always seem to go away for a while and then come back at the most inopportune times.

Right now, the problem is random freezing, BSODs and random restarts. The BSODs are fairly new, even though I haven't installed any new hardware for ages - so nothing's changed. My crash dumps date back to May this year. I've tried using MemTest86 - it came up with errors, but I wasn't sure which stick it was referring to, so I tried using just one, but that didn't work. So I tried just the other one and that doesn't seem to be working either. I've switched memory slots, I've removed hardware, I'm going just a little bit crazy now.

I've analysed the crash dumps, but I don't see any pattern. I'm really hoping someone can leap out with a solution. :(

(the reason there are a few days between some of the crash dumps is that on the days in between, the computer was freezing but not throwing up any BSODs).

Here's some system information:
Code:
[b]OS Name:[/b] Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
[B]Version:[/B] 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
[B]System Manufacturer:[/B] KT266_
[B]System Model:[/B] AWRDACPI
[B]Processor:[/B] x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1540 Mhz
[B]BIOS Version/Date:[/B] Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 27/01/2003
[B]SMBIOS Version:[/B] 2.3
[b]Graphics:[/b] NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X [i]on[/i] 4X AGP slot
[b]Memory:[/b] 2 x PC2100 DDR/CL2.5 (1 x 128MB, 1 x 512 MB)
[b]Sound:[/b] SB16

Also, usually the crashes happen within the first 10 minutes of the system booting...then I'll need to restart a few times and it'll be fine for hours and hours after that. Another thing is that after a random restart occurs, or if I have to restart after a random freeze, the monitor won't come back on and I'll need to keep hitting the restart button, or switch off for a while then try again. Sometimes the BIOS boot sequence freezes just before it gets to Detecting IDE drives.... Occassionally the Windows boot screen freezes too.

Here are my crash dumps. Hoping someone can help. :dead:

Attachments

• minidumps-020806.zip
    95.7 KB · Views: 11
I wondered why so many people had looked at this thread, yet not replied - obviously this is a fairly strange problem. But I think I've cracked it.

I happened to glance around the motherboard while I was switching my memory around today, and there seems to be some slight leakage and bulging from the capacitors. Upon reading the Wikipedia article on capacitor plague, I'm pretty sure this is the source of all my problems. I'm going out to get a replacement motherboard ASAP!

If anyone experiences the same problems as me, check your capacitors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back