CCleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just used CCleaner after finding it recommended on this board.

It has an 'Issues' feature....do you recommend using this as it brings up a rather long list of issues on my PC?

Thanks

In my opinion it`s best to use a standalone registry cleaner to deal with "issues" because CCleaner doesn`t have a restore function.

Leigh said:
Just used CCleaner after finding it recommended on this board.

It has an 'Issues' feature....do you recommend using this as it brings up a rather long list of issues on my PC?

Thanks

I`ve been using Ccleaner for quite a long time. I do use the issues feature, and have never had any problems with it. Obviously when it asks you if you want to backup your registry, it`s a good idea to do so. Then if any problems are encountered, you can restore your registry from the backup.

Regards Howard :)

I used CCleaner recently. Now, every time I run Microsoft Excel 2003, an "Installing..." window pops up. When the installation preload is complete, it asks for my installation discs which I no longer have. When I click "cancel", the installation unloads and I am allowed to use Excel.

Has anyone seen this problem as it relates to CCleaner, and is there a fix short of obtaining the installation discs?

VvWolverinevV said:
I used CCleaner recently. Now, every time I run Microsoft Excel 2003, an "Installing..." window pops up. When the installation preload is complete, it asks for my installation discs which I no longer have. When I click "cancel", the installation unloads and I am allowed to use Excel.

Has anyone seen this problem as it relates to CCleaner, and is there a fix short of obtaining the installation discs?

You have to read the stuff its deleting. You probably deleted the extensions for excel when you ran ccleaner.

You should have unchecked it before you ran the cleaning process

Beware of CCleaner. I used it and drumped it. smore9648 is correct. You must read everything it will erase, otherwise it will erase alot of stuff. I have lost calculator among other things and still some programs need help. I have been working on this for a week. Personally, I will stick with a stand alone registry program and spend more time tweeking it.

If you try to clean you computer with a duplicate file program, go slowly, and watch the dates, this could be a recipe for disaster.

I still get confused with all this user friendly stuff, I was raised on a command line and DOS commands.

Good luck.

smore9648 said:
You have to read the stuff its deleting. You probably deleted the extensions for excel when you ran ccleaner.

You should have unchecked it before you ran the cleaning process

There were many thousands of entries; it would have taken days to read them all. And howard_hopkinso told me to do it :p

Anyway, do you have any idea how to fix my problem if I did in fact delete the excel extensions? Any help is appreciated :)

If you loaded Excel and it is part of Microsoft Officethere is a good chance the entire program is in an MSO file. BUT! before you try to do something that may do more damage. Ask Howard about a file recovery program and which one he would recommend. Every file you have ever deleted is in the computer UNLESS you have reloaded programs and created files that may have written over them.

You say Excel loads? So what .xls files do you mean, your data?

VvWolverinevV said:
Now, every time I run Microsoft Excel 2003, an "Installing..." window pops up. When the installation preload is complete, it asks for my installation discs which I no longer have. When I click "cancel", the installation unloads and I am allowed to use Excel.

I'm not talking about any file in particular. The issue occurs when I simply run Microsoft Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back