List of annoying problems in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

hi,

the other day i started my computer, and i got loads of errors, and dll initialisation failures.
here are some errors:

- 0xc000012d
- 0xc0000142
- 1607: Cannot install installshield scripting runtime
- blue stopscreen error: 0x00000007E
- blue stopscreen error: 0x00000008E (not sure about this one anymore)

i've read several solutions for some of those elsewhere, but i regret to say that i do NOT have a XP install disc :(

Any help, no matter what of these errors/problems, is welcome :|

Thanks in advance...

For clarification, did you have failures prior to 'the other day"? Have you scanned for infections?

0x00000012: TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN
By its very nature, this error means that the cause of the identified problem is unknown. Try to track it down by noting the history of the problem, when it appeared, and what changes were made to the system since the problem first appeared, as well as noting what activity you are attempting at the time the error message appears

0xC0000142: DLL Initialization Failure
Its instances all appear to indicate that an application failed to initialize properly. Usually this is traceable to a DLL initialization failure.

0x8E errors are caused by hardware.

Finding the Errors that correspond to problem may be easier by finding the corresponding Error in the Event Viewer:

Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event viewer>>> You will do the same thing on both the System log and the Apps log>
Click to open the log> right click on corresponding Error> Properties> Click on Copy icon top right, belwo the down arrow and Paste here (Ctrl V)

If there are multiples of the SAME Error, that is, the same ID#, the same Source and the same Description, I only need ONE copy.

Ignore Warnings and Information Events. Use the computer clock for time of error. The logs have additional information which helps find the cause and hopefully the resolution.

@Bobbye: That is going to be a problem i think, because my version of W XP is dutch, not english :/ so im afraid you won't be able to read it! (unless you happen to can)

@Route 44:
-0x00000012: TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN
By its very nature, this error means that the cause of the identified problem is unknown. Try to track it down by noting the history of the problem, when it appeared, and what changes were made to the system since the problem first appeared, as well as noting what activity you are attempting at the time the error message appears0x8E errors are caused by hardware.
it got this erro around the same time all other problems occurred. And for the activity, well it's probably when i try to launch ANY .exe, the one time i get the 0xc000012d error, the other time the 0xc0000142.

what can i do to track down the DLL causing the 0xc0000142 error?

Marty, can you follow the direction for opening the Error properties? Note the Event ID#, the Source and the Description. Can you give me that in English?

I will try A.S.A.P , I'm, again, getting the 0xc000012d error when entering the Error Properties!

Do a system restore to your latest restore point before the problems?

If you have that disabled, re-enable it, create one manually. Then download the network/standalone install of SP3 and run that (it will make its own restore point, or should, but I like manual ones better).

I don't know that this will fix it, but quite a few system files will get replaced/updated. It is probably a good idea to run an online virus scanner first too. I'd suggest this one: http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

The "Thing" on my computer has disabled all restore points from the past, and i can't enable it anymore. But could you give me some more info on downloading/installing (or what so ever) of the SP3? You mean i should just download the whole SP3 update again, or i should download an illegal copy of WinXP pro SP3?
and if I reÏnstalled SP3, what should i do with the newly created restore point?

I'll try the system scan, but isn't ESET just something like Housecall? (I'll run it anyway)

@Bobbye: I notice around 100 to 250 red marks :S that would be like 3 hours copying/pasting, here are the most often reds though:

- source: Loadperf | ID# differs from 1000, 1001, 1002, to 3001, and 3011
- source: MsInstaller | ID# 1008
- source: Nview_info | ID# 1
- source: Application Error |ID# 1000

these were the most recent, and common ones. I'm sorry i did not get the description, but my PC refused to show any text in the description windows :(

I'm sorry i did not get the description, but my PC refused to show any text in the description windows
You have to right click on the Error> Properties to show the Description. I can't do anything until I know what's happening!

Event 3012, Source: Load Perf, may be> Description The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted. The Record Data contains BaseIndex value from Performance registry in DWORD 0, LastCounter value in DWORD 1, and LastHelp value in DWORD 2.

Event 1, Source: Nview is related to drivers for graphic cards with NVIDIA chipsets. Try installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA, or if this problem appeared after you just installed the latest drivers try to rollback the drivers and see if it helps you to get rid of the problem.

Event 1008- is it MSI Installer? Description may be 'The installation of <file name> is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.
This problem occurs if the Windows Installer process has insufficient contiguous virtual memory to verify that the .msi package or the .msp package is correctly signed.
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;925336

IF Event 1008 IS Source MS Installer instead it has to do with the MSExchangeAdmin with description of 'Unable to move mailbox <mailbox name>. <error message> <error ID>. '

- source: Application Error |ID# 1000> I can't do anything with this as I don't know what the application is.

But could you give me some more info on downloading/installing (or what so ever) of the SP3? You mean i should just download the whole SP3 update again, or i should download an illegal copy of WinXP pro SP3?
Its perfectly legal, its just a standalone SP3 installer like I said. Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
I recently had SP3 give some errors off of a regular Windows Update install, so I got the network install and it again installed, so yours should be able to as well. Turns out the error I got wasn't able to be fixed by a reinstall of SP3, but that taught me that you can 'reinstall' SP3, and I think without your Windows disk that is the best way I can think of to replace corrupt system files.

and if I reÏnstalled SP3, what should i do with the newly created restore point?
Hopefully nothing. The idea would be that corrupt system files/drivers get overwritten. Its kind of a long shot, but until you can get some answers about your event viewer I can't do anything other than suggest what I did.

I'll try the system scan, but isn't ESET just something like Housecall? (I'll run it anyway)
Yes, so. I said I suggested eset's scanner. I didn't think I was going to have to explain why I suggested it, but since you don't appear to be happy without every detail spelled out I'll tell you. Housecall seemed to work fine for me several years ago, but probably 10 out of the last 10 times I've tried to use it on various systems, whether it be my personal XP or Vista machines, or a couple different XP machines at work, or a 'client's PC, or my dad's laptop I have never had much luck getting it to work. As in it didn't work at all, no scan, nothing, this is with trying both the ActiveX and the java ones with IE6, IE7, FF2, and FF3. ESET's ran perfectly fine on the only 2 computers I've tried it on, and I've seen it pick up things that AVG Free 8 did not.

You've kind of gotten yourself into a mess here without having a real copy of XP, because you can fix corrupted system files with that. But I guess even with one you'd need to make a slipstreamed one with SP3. When problems suddenly come up, its more common that you've got something nasty software wise rather than hardware. But what you should be doing initially is running things like Memtest on your RAM, ESET's online scanner for viruses, updating video, sound, motherboard chipsets, ect drivers. Also effectively noting what causes the errors and if its reproducable in the type of error it causes, noting what the error is, checking event viewer, and other things.

So I would make sure you do all of that first, before trying my reinstall SP3 from a network/standalone installer suggestion.

You've kind of gotten yourself into a mess here without having a real copy of XP

Marty9231 is your copy of Windows legit ?
ie Do you have the COA product key (sticker) attached to your computer?

I seem to be missing something here. The user said he did not have the Windows XP CD-- a lot of people don't get it with a new system- I didn't.

But I don't understand the reference to:
should just download the whole SP3 update again, or i should download an illegal copy of WinXP pro SP3?
Where does the SP3 come in. You don't include it in your question- your 'list' of problems.
It's my understanding that your Windows OS in in the Dutch language. But why are you asking about downloading it using an illegal copy and just where does SP3 come into the problems you're having?

Then download the network/standalone install of SP3
To me, telling someone to get SP3 on an unstable system is not the best idea.

Kimsland, I think you might be on the right track.

To me, telling someone to get SP3 on an unstable system is not the best idea.
To SNGX1275 defence, he already stated that!

Also effectively noting what causes the errors and if its reproducable in the type of error it causes, noting what the error is, checking event viewer, and other things.

So I would make sure you do all of that first, before trying my reinstall SP3 from a network/standalone installer suggestion.

Mind you, I've tried it (Why Not anyway?) But I agree with SNGX1275, find the problem then resolve it, then install SP3.

Again Marty9231 please answer my last post above (my post above), before anymore replies. The issue is, that non legit versions of Windows can have undesirable effects, that can be the cause of all your issues.

A lot of these problems like you describe are caused by errors in your registry.

Try downloading and running "Free Windows Registry Repair 1.5 "

Once your done compress your registry using "Free Registry Defrag/Compact (Freeware) - Version 2.35"

Sorry I can't post the link because I'm new to this forum. Just google the names and I'm sure you'll get them.

If anything it will do some good as not many people never truly look after their registry. Let me know how you go...

Buck

Thanks buck247 for your input!

I should also say that I noticed you have posted the same thing on 3 other threads (except you decided to go bold on one of them

By the way, if you do want to support members especially regarding registry, I would recommend that you also add a line stating to bakup the registry first. Don't you think?

If anything it will do some good
No sometimes it will stop Programs or even Windows from loading
Best to pinpoint the specific registry error first, so which one do you think it is buck247 ?

But thanks for posting on everyone's threads though :grinthumb !

Okay, first, I'm sorry for the late response, I had to go to school...

Second, the reply to my legit version of WXP... this is rather complicated:
My version of windows did not come with my computer, though i barrowed a perfectly legal version from a friend, with SP2. So i did'nt get a serial number (sticker) with it. This version of windows was made for school purposes (multi-use serial). But then, I decided I preferred Vista, so that was installed (also a legit version). But my computer then got an unrepearable Virus, so i had to format, and ended up with the same, barrowed, Windows XP again.

Now for the MSI/MS Installer, this tunred out to be MSI Installer.

And about the website for the above error... It said this:

CAUSE
This problem occurs if the Windows Installer process has insufficient contiguous virtual memory to verify that the .msi package or the .msp package is correctly signed.

and then this:

RESOLUTION
A supported fix is available for Windows Server 2003. There is no fix available for Windows XP. ¬.¬

that's not going to help much i think.

And mind that the description of the errors will still be in dutch, I'll give the translation my best shot, but don't expect to much!

Then for the registry, I have tried several programs, like CCleaner and Eusing free registry cleaner, which both found multiple (sometimes up to 800) wrong registry keys. They were resolved, but later i had another 150 wrong keys... (at another check) So something on my computer alters the keys undetected.

And Kimsland, should i download/run the registry defrag/compacter?

And Kimsland, should i download/run the registry defrag/compacter?
Nah, doesn't matter. It may help speed up your registry access (ever so slightly) Most users use these things once then never again, no big change seen really.

As for the student key, does it start with V2C47
Because that ones a tad illegal.

A "Perfectly Legal version" will include the product ID. Always. Even a multiuse version. Isn't part of your problem the fact that you are using the multiuse version other than as intended? Or that you simply do not have the memory resources on that computer?
How much memory is installed?

1GB Ram memory... but i should mension that it has run perfectly before, I think it started to show problems around the time i updated my video drivers. Also, does the "Product ID" mean the serial number? like the one you need to enter to install it?

No they're different

To find your PID, go here: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pidwin

Or read here:

Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
In the Category View, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the Classic View, double-click System.
On the General tab, the Product ID (PID) is under Registered to.

Microsoft Windows Vista
Click Start and then click Control Panel.
In the Category View, click System and Maintenance, and then click System. In the Classic View, double-click System.
Under the Windows Activation section of the page, the Product ID (PID) is a 20 digit number next to Product ID.

MS need it, Actually I've never understood why there is two numbers myself :confused:
one is the key
the other is the product ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back