Help with mapped drives and XP AV 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEY! LOL i did, didn't i? Thanks for pointing that out!

But i expected to hear the sound of all those coins flying out like when all those wheels line up on them nickel slots!:haha:

I have tried Acronis disk director , but used to work in school and we had ghost running where I coul dpop in a Cd/DVD image, and it woudl boot from the cd and reinstall the image to any Pc we had in the system, since we had used sysprep. The new ghost now seems to be more geared towards the casual user, or home user. I found Ghost Solution Suite 2.5, but tryig to get it to recognize my WD usb external HD in dos is a pain.
the main pc was using a simple sharing folder for out accounting software package. Peachtree and Dell both couldnt figure it out and Dell even told me on phone while talkign to him he was lookign in Technet on MS site for answers,. which I had already done.

so it sounds like you're runnning the pc's as peer-to-peers?

if it's simple sharing many of the variables involved get removed from the puzzle..

but still... those "Access Denied" messages could drive one bonkers given all the possible failure points that might occur between client and server machines!

true, and it was working, till we had the XP antivirus 2008 on the main pc and cleaned it with malwarebytes program. So, did the malware cause it, or the trojan program? which came first, the chicken or the egg, is similiar in driving me bonkers,lol. I am having al users here ask me about things before they just install things

I looked at that post you referred me to kimsland, and that oen deals with network cards and ghost, it looks like, not trying to save a ghost image i dos to a usb drive, but thns. I did see that one when I was looking, cause seen stuff out on internet about how to do it, but nothign seems to work. I want a backup of my computer on the ext usb hdd, so when somethign happens, can just reghost it, I run the ghost install off of a usb flash drive, but might need to try to do it off Cd, then see if that works. If I get this all to work, wil lhave to post here for all the other techs. I find ghost for dos is best for backups, imo.

now that ya have the time to breathe again.....

you might want to look at the debug/trace data you can get by taking advantage of Windows audits. can tell the id sent by client, whether server ran user authentication or Guest, also the message you;ll find in Security Event Log for failure reason generally is much more helpful then what the user sees on the screen (e.g. distinguishing between bad password or and/or userid vs. logon not granted (implies an issue with policy and rights) and some more stuff..

Other handy tool (but don't think it could have helped for the failure).. don't know if use the Shared Folder Management Console? start->run-> fsmgmt.msc

When client / servier connection actually establishes you can see the userid client used PLUS a Y/N Guest Authentication flag so you know where they authenticated as Guest or userid? (tho if ur in simple sharing.. that detail is less important.) but the sum total of info from that console can be helpful

If I get this all to work, wil lhave to post here for all the other techs
Actually please do.

I'd like to know the big long Ghost command line and what drivers are needed and so forth.
Presently I either image HardDrive to HardDrive, or HardDrive to DVD, using a single bootable floppy. (it took me a while to get my autoexec just right, including mouse support and Dos clickable menus too.

oh. and i haven't gotten to play with it yet....

but there is also an audit for object access i would think (hope?) could also help provide even more trace data at the object/permissions level. Where you know something even to know the request doesn't even make it that far and know lots about the permissions access if it does.

I did a repair installation of XP, then deleted the AV2008 with Malwarebytes program. I then rebooted, and reinstalled SP3. The other 3 computers now, get an access is denied error when trying to connect to the mapped drive on the main computer.

I just happened to re-read the thread and i think the answer was there all along.

Too bad you never had the chance run a simple logon audit

Your problem started when you did a repair install. I had a hunch and checked. Sure enough, repair install resets values to defaults. Which includes resetting Guest's network logon right to Deny! The main computer ("server") was authenticating the 3 computers ("clients") as Guest but after the repair install logon was failing due to logon rights!

Well looking around, you may be right, and have another one for you. We have same issue now, with the clean install,and I think I know what happened, but cannot find out to clear this. My boss is running the main pc, that has the clean install, from before. He added a password to his account , then clicked on make private for his folders. I undid his password, rebooted the Pc, but still have no access to 2 folders now that are shared. Is there somewhere in GPedit or one of the policy groups, that I can clear this out?

Well looking around, you may be right, and have another one for you. We have same issue now, with the clean install,and I think I know what happened, but cannot find out to clear this. My boss is running the main pc, that has the clean install, from before. He added a password to his account , then clicked on make private for his folders. I undid his password, rebooted the Pc, but still have no access to 2 folders now that are shared. Is there somewhere in GPedit or one of the policy groups, that I can clear this out?

Hi

Hope to be able to help again.

Couple questions to be sure i understand your situation right.
1. You are using Simple File Sharing on the main pc? To confirm Simple File Sharing From Explorer, click Tools->Folder Options, View tab, scroll down to see Use Simple File Sharing and is it checked? or not checked.
2. When you say "still no access to 2 folders now that are shared", Do you mean the folders your boss marked "private"? or are there still other folders involved other then the two private folders?

3. I'm guessing you're problem is you can't uncheck the box in boss's folder to "Make private"? It';s greyed out?

If you could answer questions above would help lots. Gotta run out a while but should be able to get back to you this afternoon. (Well 10am in chicago now, so relative to Chicago's afternoon :) )answers. Would think should be able to fix. Be more certain once i know and am clear about the questions i asked.

talk again later

the folders we have shared on on the desktop. After we reinstalled the Os and apps, moved the folders to the desktop, and shared them, with simple file sharing, and it is on. Once the user,(boss) made password for his computer, and then clicked on the , make folders private tab, we lost access on the other 3 pcs to those 2 folders. I had him delete the password, reboot the pc, and still cannnot see the folders on the other pcs. the folders were never marked private, but, became private when he made his accoutn private, Now it is not private, but still somewhere, the access rights I think are makred private for those folders.

I believe "Make Private" takes action on the NTFS permissions of the folder.
Saying that, I fear that someone will immediately jump to the conclusion to
add <Everyone> Read/Write.
I do hope it is not necessary (security issue) and some other setting will suffice, but I need to keep
an appointment in 30mins so I have to run.

thnx Joe, and will wait yoru reply and any others, as this issue , now that I know what caused it, wil lhopefully get corrected soon.

OK. Whatever got you into the problem, i think this should get you out. (Am also guessing, as jobeard mentions, making it private changed permissions giving you this net effect)

To fix this, suggest turn off Simple File Sharing from Explorer (i mentioned in earlier post.) Uncheck the box, OK. Then reboot

When back up you
  • Should be able to see Share and Security tabs for problem folders
  • Adjust permissions on each as needed (remembering its the most restrictive of the two which applies to a network access, just Security if local access)
  • If you need remote access (sounded like did), since you're using Simple File Sharing Guest is the narrowest access you can allow. Be sure you see that Guest allowed on both the share and security permissions tab
  • When done with changes, switch it and reboot back into Simple File Sharing.

just fyi, should you find it helpful, you can use Accesschk tool to get handy display of Security (NTFS) permissions (it doesn't apply any share permissions). You choose between a list of accounts with access to a file/folder (e.g. accesschk “C:\Program Files”) or have it list the account permissions for each object in a file/folder (e.g. accesschk joe “C:\Program Files”)

I like it

Here's an example, assuming AccessChk resides in your Desktop\accesschk folder (seeming that's where it extracted to!)

Example:

cmd /k "%userprofile%\Desktop\accesschk\accesschk.exe" /accepteula Administrator <path>

Please change <path> to a specified folder, like C:\Windows

So from Start-->Run-->
You would copy the run line: cmd /k "%userprofile%\Desktop\accesschk\accesschk.exe" /accepteula Administrator c:\windows
Then press ok
Which would open a command prompt, then show only RW (Read\Write) access to all files inside C:\Windows

I haven't exactly worked out how to check every folder from C Drive on the entire disk at once, because the "-D" option (check Directory only) I can't get to work!, except on one folder only ie:
Start-->Run--> cmd /k "%userprofile%\Desktop\accesschk\accesschk.exe" /accepteula -d Administrator c:\windows

Edit:

I did it !

Start->Run-> cmd /k "%userprofile%\Desktop\accesschk\accesschk.exe" /accepteula -d -s Administrator c:\
This checks every folder on the entire of C Drive for Read/Write access

Edit2:

If you add -n it only shows the folders that don't have Read/Write access (but checking the entire of C Drive takes a while, so you might not see anything in the command prompt window for a while)

cmd /k "%userprofile%\Desktop\accesschk\accesschk.exe" /accepteula -d -s -n Administrator c:\

Edit3:

Actually after all this I like AccessEnum better !

Actually after all this I like AccessEnum better !

But you were really getting into accesschk there for awhile!
:D

I think one good way to use accesschk is figuring out Access Denied" when file sharing.

Once you rule out network issues and logon authentication, you finally have to arrive at permissions. There's two tabs on Properties of a shared object
- Share (which defines the share permissions)
- Security (which defines NTFS permissions)

Is generally straight forward to understand share permission and how it applies to a userid

Often not so easy for security permissions. So just run accesschk for the userid in question and let it list everything it can access for you

Ok,
I found out what the issue is, hopefully, and maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. I noticed, after doing all the steps that Lookinaround told me to do, that the folders we are having issues with, are both marked Make Private, in the properties area for sharing. This happened when the boss added a password to his account, and made it private. After I had him undo his password, reboot, then repassword it, I figured it woudl make it public, but it hasnt. any way to go into registry and unmark that folder as private?

Well, I want to thank everyone for reading and responding to my issues here. I ended up adding the Everyone user, and that gave all the other computers access to those 2 folders, so life is grand again here in the office. Thanks and will have to hang around more offtne and see if I can help people with their issues.

Ok,
I found out what the issue is, hopefully, and maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. I noticed, after doing all the steps that Lookinaround told me to do, that the folders we are having issues with, are both marked Make Private, in the properties area for sharing. This happened when the boss added a password to his account, and made it private. After I had him undo his password, reboot, then repassword it, I figured it woudl make it public, but it hasnt. any way to go into registry and unmark that folder as private?

Making a folder "private" just causes XP to modify its permissions and i'm guessing your problem still revolves around permissions. I believe making it private removes all permissions except for owner. In fact, it probably also removes folder sharing as well. Probably, also an issue of "inheritance" so may need look at objects within the folder as well.

Suggest you look at folder NOT in Simple File Share mode so you can see both Share and Security.
1. Check Security permissions. Probably need start by giving Full Control to Admin Group
2. Check if sharing is on or not tho i'd first get local access permissions working before adding sharing back in
3. Verify Security permissions by either
  • using the accesschk tool i posted before to verify access by user or check invidiual permissions
  • Or from command prompt enter: cacls "folder name"
  • Or effective permissions tab under Security tab to tell you the right assigned the user or group you indicate

And look at this link Establish the correct file-sharing permissions in Windows XP
and related links it supplies should help understand permissions issues.. but feel free to post back with questions as needed

by the way, can you get to that folder at all? if easier, see if copy the contents to a new folder you create makes an easier

/************* EDIT *********************/
And just in case, another approach would be taking ownership
- How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
- How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP

Sharing vs NTFS permissiones

XP Pro users without a Domain Controller environment (ie almost all non-commercial home users),
should elect the Simple File Sharing model
My Computer -> click Tools -> Folder Options
slide to the bottom
check [+] Use Simple File Sharing (recommended)​
This model greatly 'simplifies' the process and makes your life far more pleasant
(hence the name :) )

Alter the Guest Account and set a password, then disable the account.
You will then not need to add all of your users to every system with shares.

NTFS settings can get compounded quickly, but when done correctly, give a fine grain control over who gets to do what to whom.

This article will help you understand NTFS better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back