Windows Logon Password Box Fully Populated Coming Out of Hibernation, Why?

TheBigFatClown

I've recently configured my Windows 10 PC to go into hibernation after a passing of time. And that works as it should. But everytime the PC is brought out of a sleep or hibernation state, the Windows 10 logon screen password box is filled with the hidden character symbols.
So, first thought everybody thinks is, "Oh a bad/stuck repeating key on a keyboard, right?" Well, no because I'm typing this message right now on the same PC and there are no issues whatsoever.
Now, let me give a small history. I have PowerToys installed and it has a module called "Awake" (I think thats it) to keep your PC on all the time and I turned this on briefly once to keep the PC awake for a long download. I subsequently turned that module off in the PowerToys settings. So, this could be a PowerToys bug that is lingering.
But if anybody has experienced this bug as I am now, please let me know your soltuions.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I've recently configured my Windows 10 PC to go into hibernation after a passing of time. And that works as it should. But everytime the PC is brought out of a sleep or hibernation state, the Windows 10 logon screen password box is filled with the hidden character symbols.
So, first thought everybody thinks is, "Oh a bad/stuck repeating key on a keyboard, right?" Well, no because I'm typing this message right now on the same PC and there are no issues whatsoever.
Now, let me give a small history. I have PowerToys installed and it has a module called "Awake" (I think thats it) to keep your PC on all the time and I turned this on briefly once to keep the PC awake for a long download. I subsequently turned that module off in the PowerToys settings. So, this could be a PowerToys bug that is lingering.
But if anybody has experienced this bug as I am now, please let me know your soltuions.

Thanks for reading!
This hidden character issue after hibernation is an interesting one! While it might not be a widespread bug, here are a couple of things to try:

1. Disable Fast Startup: Fast Startup is a Windows 10 feature that creates a hybrid shutdown state, combining elements of hibernation and sleep. Sometimes it can cause issues waking from hibernation. Try disabling it:
    • Search for "Control Panel" and navigate to "Hardware and Sound" > "Power Options" > "Choose what the power buttons do."
    • Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable."
    • Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" and save changes.
  2. Reset PowerToys: If you suspect PowerToys might be the culprit, try resetting it:
    • Open PowerToys Settings.
    • Click on "General" and then "Reset PowerToys to defaults."
If neither of these solutions work, consider searching online forums for similar experiences with your specific PowerToys version. This might help narrow down the cause and find a more specific fix.

Back