Defragmenting your Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Dragon

Defragging your hard drive is time consuming and boring. I believe that is why many people often neglect to do it regularly. I recently tested out a program that makes it less time consuming and less boring, and it does a great job. The program tells you when it needs an update when you launch it every few weeks, the update installs right on top of the current install within seconds.

Not to mention it is made by the same company that makes CCleaner. The program is called Defraggler. The biggest advantage that I found is the ability to defragment only files that are fragmented vs. deframenting the entire drive. It cuts an hour of defragmenting into less than 5 minutes. Of course if you want to defrag the whole drive you can.

The other advantage I found is for Vista users. Vista doesn't have a GUI for the built in windows defragment tool. You can't see what it is doing or how much progress has been made. With defraggler you can see the progress and it has a nice GUI that makes it much less boring. I tested this on Vista.

logo.gif
Defraggler
  • You can download defraggler from HERE
  • Select download latest version in the top right corner
  • Save the installer to your Desktop or someplace easy to find it.
  • Double click the installer and follow the prompts to install.
  • It's a good idea to run a temp file cleaner first to reduce scan times (CCleaner or ATF Cleaner)
  • Once you Launch the program you will see the following GUI
  • After you click analyze you can select file list to simply defrag just the files that need it.

defraggler-2.jpg

Nice.. looks like a really useful tool. Wuld you like to write a little more about its uses etc perhaps we can turn it into a guide/tutorial for the guides section, or put it up at the TS downloads section.

yea, guess I was behind the curve on that one. I have been using if for about 7 months, but never saw anybody talk about it

I tried an older,... beta i think, version of defragler, and did not find an improvement in features or performance to make me ditch my Diskeeper 2008 pro on XP. I know, I know DK is not free etc, but I already have it and haven't found anything better yet, so no impetus to switch.

Interesting - I gave it a try and found it both better and worse than the one I was previously using - Smart defrag

Smart defrag takes a long time to analyse, but is extremely quick to defragment therafter.
Defraggler is very quick to analyse, but takes a lot longer to defragment.

However, there is a big difference. Defraggler is not just defragging, it is also compacting the data to the start of the drive, which Smart defrag does not do - unless you ask for it, in which case it takes as long or longer than Defraggler !

Hard choice, so I am keeping them both.....maybe would vote for Defraggler if pushed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back