Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfantryOnline

I was playing my game last night and my ping shotup to 1000-2000+ and I couldn't play so I disconnected from the internet then I restarted and I got this error.

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I need help PLEASE!

No, It's a game I play, thanks ;) but the only thing that sucks is this

Discussion

This can be caused by a missing or invalid default= entry in C:\Boot.ini, or if Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in C:\Boot.ini.

To resolve this issue:

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. When Press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console appears, press R.
3. Select the Windows installation and enter the administrator password at the prompt.
4. Type "bootcfg /add" and press Enter.
5. When a missing Windows Installation is located, respond Y to add the installation to the boot list.
6. At Enter Load Identifier, type Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition).
7. At Enter Operating System Load Options:, press Enter.
8. Exit the Recovery Console and select the first item on the boot menu.
9. After you log on, edit C:\Boot.ini to remove the improper entry.

NOTE: A typical C:\Boot.ini file contains:

[boot loader]
timeout=7
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I don't have a windows xp disk..

I didn't do a restore either. Do you know if there are any alternative ways?

Can you try using a 98 boot floppy and checking your boot.ini file to make sure it is pointed in the right direction. If that is your problem, that it got messed up, maybe try editing it. Just another thought.

He won't be able to read that boot.ini if the primary partition is in NTFS, the W98 bootdisk won't be able to access that partition.:dead:

Perhaps the setup floppies available from Microsoft's website also have the ability to bootcfg /rebuild

But I really don't know much else you can do without the CD.

Originally posted by me(who else?)
JUst curious...how did you get Windows XP without having a disk?
Well giving him the benefit of the doubt, he could have some store bought system that has no XP cd, only the restore cds.

And he stated he doesn't have the recovery disks, so the only way you can get those is to call the manufacturer and ask them to send you another set.

If you lack a recovery disk, you might consider making a boot disk equiped with the software to edit .txt files. I can't remeber the URL, but in Google search "make bootable CDs" to find a guide to making a bootable CD with custom apps. Then find yourself a bootable CD with a DOS-based text editor.

edit:
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Anyways, I'm not gonna press the matter too much ;)

Originally posted by me(who else?)
If you lack a recovery disk, you might consider making a boot disk equiped with the software to edit .txt files. I can't remeber the URL, but in Google search "make bootable CDs" to find a guide to making a bootable CD with custom apps. Then find yourself a bootable CD with a DOS-based text editor.

Or you could look at the bootdisk.com link in my signature which contains "how to" guides to doing that.

;/ Well They decided to get me a new harddrive.. (It was 18GB right now..) it's sad but I only use 45% but they are replacing it I can't wait to see the specs

InfantryOnline said:

Discussion

This can be caused by a missing or invalid default= entry in C:\Boot.ini, or if Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in C:\Boot.ini.

To resolve this issue:

2. When Press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console appears, press R.
3. Select the Windows installation and enter the administrator password at the prompt.
5. When a missing Windows Installation is located, respond Y to add the installation to the boot list.

[boot loader]
timeout=7
[operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Please explain on how to edit the C:\Boot.ini file when it is read-only and i cant see the physical file in windows explorer

I have a similar problem...

I recently bought a 300GB Maxtor HD from TigerDirect and triple partitioned it (F:, G:, H:)as a slave to my regular 10GB Maxtor HD(C:). I was hoping to later make it the master HD so I installed Windows XP Pro on the first partition (F:)and logged into windows using the new installation with no problems.

I got this when I switched jumpers on my new HD to master and the old one to slave:
"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. could not read from the selected boot disk. Check the boot path and disk hardware..."
Currently I have 2 installations of Windows XP Pro! DOH! One works, the other gets the error!
I then switched all the jumper settings back to the way they were originally and only my old HD works. My PC doesn't even recognize my new HD. I'm gonna try what I have read here in this forum and see what happens. I know it must be something easy, I just know little about PC Repair... But I'm learning. Glad you guys are around to help!
-kornerdspider-

I need help! I am new to this but found this discussion through Google. I spent the last two days upgrading to XP pro from XP home, reinstalled everything. Then doing what I was told, I went to Windows website and looked for any updates or patches. They had one that was first on the list, a free Windows doctor of some sort, that would analyze and check for problems. I did it. Upon restart, I got the message Windows Could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. I tried following the instructions in this discussion. I put in the Windows XP upgrade cd, then booted from the CD. It started the install, but it never gets to the repair screen! It says that something is corrupt. I am about to scream, please help.

Can anyone help?

I need help! I am new to this but found this discussion through Google. I spent the last two days upgrading to XP pro from XP home, reinstalled everything. Then doing what I was told, I went to Windows website and looked for any updates or patches. They had one that was first on the list, a free Windows doctor of some sort, that would analyze and check for problems. I did it. Upon restart, I got the message Windows Could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. I tried following the instructions in this discussion. I put in the Windows XP upgrade cd, then booted from the CD. It started the install, but it never gets to the repair screen! It says that something is corrupt. I am about to scream, please help. :mad:

ok im having the same problem as first posted... one differance... i would have just reinstalled windows... or even repaired it, but when i boot from the disk it doesnt really think that windows is there. i have an option to format... and an option to to keep program files and such... but windows, documents and settings directories are over writen... to me these options are a no go... weird how this can happen so easy... i left my computer for 2 hrs.. came back and it was not a happy OS... microsoft is no help either... emailed them and there all like EHH consult your OEM... i read somewhere on their site that Western Digital hard drives can cause this message... than noticed that i was using a WD HDD... ALSO it was a drive out of an external... jumpers are correct and all but im just throughin ideas out to anyone who might be able to help... thanks guys... just a little topic bump :)

Solution

Sometimes simplicity is the best option to fix a complex problem. I had the same problem when starting windows. I tried the recovery console and I tried deleting the old boot.INI file and replacing it with a new one. Nothing worked. So I finally flipped and tried a last resort. I opened up my computer, unplugged both the power and data cabled from both my hard drives, plugged them in again exactly the way they were and my problem went away! She booted up like normal. I hope this helps someone.

Discussion

To resolve this issue:

[boot loader]
timeout=7

Thank you very much for this post! It solved my issue. I was about ready to cry, then pull my hair out, then reformat.

It helped me so much, I created an account just to post a Thank you!

Tanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back