BSOD with 0x00000024 STOP Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Before I start I just want to let you all know that I'm quite new to all this, so forgive me if I have left anything out! :)

I have a Compaq V5101AU laptop computer with Windows XP Home Edition.

A couple of days ago I tried turning it on, and after the Windows start up screen loaded it came up with a BSOD with the following error message:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83178AE0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I have identified this error from a previous post titled: Stop Error 0x00000024 (03-06-2006)

I have followed the directions as instructed by howard_hopkinso but it doesn't seem to work.

The CD starts to load and comes up with a black page with white text.

At the end of the text it says a mouse is not connected. I have checked the mouse and have tried it in all the other USB ports, and have even unplugged the mouse, still after 20 minutes nothing happens.

I stupidly put a password on my BIOS Setup a while ago and cannot remember it, but I can get to boot screen by pressing ESC at start up.

Is there anyone that can please help? I am not the most tech savvy person out there, and have already spent over 5 hours trying to work this thing out :(

You will most likely need to post this eventually in the Mobile forum but you can try the following:

1. Go to Hewlett Packard's website (they bought Compaq), find your model and download their latest drivers for your system. Does this bring you stability.

2. Sometimes CD Drives go bad. You might need to replace it.

Here is your error as described by auhma.org:

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

1. Run ChkDsk (just as it is spelled) in your Run box found in your start menu. This doesn't take long. There are 3 steps; when it completes step 2 does it tell you it is recovering lost files?

2. Find the make of your harddrive. Go to the harddrive manufacturer's website and download and install their free diagnostics utility and let it diagnose your harddrive.

3. Disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities and see if you can reproduce your BSODs. By the way, what security software are you running, i.e., antivirus, etc.?

I can't actually get past the BSOD, all I can do is restart the computer from there and then we're back to square one - can't get into the start menu to run ChkDsk.

I cannot disable file system filters as I can't actually get onto my computer to do so. I do not have any security software at present.

So basically I cannot do any of what you have suggested, my computer won't allow me to log on, hence the reason why a boot disk was created. This did not work for me.

Okay, then try a standard diagnostic step by running memtest on your memory. This test will take over almost immediately long before the Windows screen even shows.

Since you have the BIOS password thing presse esc as soon as possible.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS; but in your case this won't be doable) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back