Comp can't detect new hard drive

ok i went to device manager and uninstalled it, then re plugged everything back up... it says adding new hardware and that its adding a drive...

i restart...

its still not there! the hell...

ok i went to device manager and uninstalled it, then re plugged everything back up... it says adding new hardware and that its adding a drive...

i restart...

its still not there! the hell...

You have to "follow the Windows trail" meaning.... the disk must appear

1. First in Device Manager. Is it there and installed OK?

2. Only when after verifying it's in DevMgr, then next check Disk Management. Is it there?

3. Only after it's in Disk Management, then you can next check in My Computer and Explorer

/* edit */
Also.. you say it does NOT appear in BIOS but you said it appears in DevMgr? That doesn't sound possible.. unless you were looking at hidden/ghost devices in DevMgr?????

Rt click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management

Start by looking at lower pane in the window which shows:
> Physical disks
> and partitions on each disk

excuse the double post, but as i know you're seeing my replies in near "realtime"

btw.. is the new physical disk formatted??? does it have a partition defined??? If NO, it'll still be Disk Management but won't be in My Computer or Explorer

OK. yea.. just double checked.. and since it's a new disk, you'll see Initialize

New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard will appear, so you can initialize the disk.
So, right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk; in the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize

ok i initialized it... but its not showing up on the top part of disk management or at my computer

Woo-Hoo! Good news :grinthumb

it never said anything bout BASIC disks or nothing though.
I just meant if you read any instructions about XP Disk Management ignore any instructions about setting up Dynamic disk. You probably won't see XP ask about Dynamic disk by default.

Laterz.... :)

one last problem im having trouble with then im out your hair.

i took the cd-r out of my old computer, and put it in the new one where the zip drive was... but the comp doesn't detect it. i went to new hardware wizard but it can't find nothing new connected. do i gotta get the driver for it first in order for it to appear?

one last problem im having trouble with then im out your hair.
No problem at all!

As to your CD drive problem.. you need to do the same as before and "follow the Windows trail"!

Windows doesn't need drivers to detect a device. It just needs the driver to actually use the device.

Start with BIOS if it's an internal drive. Then check Device manager. Any sign of the CD drive in device manager? Also check to see if you see a category called Other in DevMgr (it might also appear there if problems). Do you see anything???

You can also
  • Make sure all your devices (including that CD drive) is connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, also let me know

Back