Can't launch system applications. Several application errors.

RebKit

Recently my computer has started displaying the "svchost.exe Application Error" message. There is also another window that appears frequently that says "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" and then "Generic Host Process for Win32 Service has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Usually after I close these messages, or have been using the computer for a little while (maybe 20-40 minutes, it depends), my computer starts freaking out. Everything starts running slow and freezes (and sometimes un-freezes a few minutes later), the toolbar at the bottom of the screen will freeze (so I cannot access the Start menu), and the taskbars at the top of windows (and usually the toolbar) will revert to a Windows 98 type look.

I don't know what to do to fix these problems, your help and advice will be much appreciated!!

First thing, you should alwasy state your OS and computer type (notebook or desktop) when requesting help. Also if possible the exact "svchost.exe Application Error" error as this it too generic.
That said:
Have you tried a restore point to a time when it was performing correctly?
You can also do a file run: SFC /Scannow to repair missing windows files. This will require you Windows CD unless you have a restore partition.
Since this is happening after the computer is running for a while, are you having overheating issues? Especially essential with notebooks.

Have you run an updated Virus Scan? Malware scan such as malwarebytes or Superantispy?

Run a checkdisk and a defrag?

More info please RebKit

It's an HP mini-notebook, OS Windows XP Pro 2003 Sp3, no cd drive, no internet. Please let me try to explain the state the system was in when I began working on my sister's laptop 3 days ago and where I am today. When I first started working on it I couldn't access anything except Task Manager. Windows would freeze after logon and the svchost.exe application error would pop up (see below).

svchost.exe - Application Error
The instruction at"0x73411c8b" referenced memory at "0x00000007". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on cancel to debug.

If I Click OK I get another one that says:
svchost.exe - Application Error
The instruction at"0x75abae15" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on cancel to debug.

After these errors the desktop would black-out and lose its formatting like Win98. The system would come to a halt while the start menu, desktop icons and right clicking of the mouse didn't work. I could hit 'Ctrl' + 'Alt' + Del to pull up Task Manager where I opened command prompt to type rstrui.exe, but when I'd hit enter I'd get a message saying "The command is not recognized..."

After many failed attempts of trying to access System Restore (even tried in Safe Mode), I entered chkdsk f/ r/ in CMD and restarted Windows. After about 4 to 5 hours of scanning Windows restarted to the normal Desktop background with working start menu, desktop functionality.

I still get the svchost.exe application errors, along with a win generic host error and some other errors.

- I tried changing the registry to close ports 445 and port 135 to make the errors stop (according to some people it worked for them) BUT this has NOT worked for me.

- I tried installing Avg free to scan for virus' but when I try to open it I get this error... C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgui.exe The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

- I installed Malwarebytes and did a full scan but it showed no infected files.

- I downloaded and installed TFC to clean temp folders.

- I downloaded GMER and did the rootkit scan but it didn't produce anything.

- I tried DDS but it didn't produce any files

I think I just about covered most of what I've already done. Please let me know if you have any questions. Oh, I'm in the process of scanning the registry with CCleaner. Thanks for your help!

I see same post on Bleeping computer from Kitskn, you?

I would suggest a fred langa no format re-install but that requires booting from the XP CD. How do you do a re-install on such a creature, USB?

Since you cannot install AVG, please try Stinger.
You can find it and directions at:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

I forgot to mention here are some of the applications /services I cannot open: Device Manager, Services, Events Viewer, My Computer's Properties, System Information, Disk Manager, ... When I try to open them (using Run command, command prompt or double clicking) the service launches in Task Manager but the interface does not open.

I see same post on Bleeping computer from Kitskn, you?

Yes, I must admit it is I. I didn't want to post on several tech sites but I got desperate when no one responded after two days whole days. :)

I would suggest a fred langa no format re-install but that requires booting from the XP CD. How do you do a re-install on such a creature, USB?

I'm to the point where I just want to reformat the computer but you're right it's hard to do without an external cd rom. My USB flashdrive is 1 GB. I have a few 4 GB Sandisk Memory cards but the laptop isn't reading my USB Sandisk reader. The little HP Mini-notebook didn't come with any installation disks. I have Dell's Windows XP Pro Installation CDs but I don't know if it'll work on the HP, and if it did how would I get the files to load on there with the equipment I have on hand?

Since you cannot install AVG, please try Stinger.

I see that my sister has an anti virus program called Viper installed on her computer. I haven't used it yet because I never heard of it. Do you know if that's a reliable anti virus program?

Sunbelt has an anitvirus call Vipre, but I have never read a review. so if that is a typo then try an update and a scan, if it cannot update then she probably has serious problems.

Try the Stinger it is a standalone exe that doesn't require installation. Mcafee puts it out and it has helped me out numerous times in the past twelve or so years.

Hi Rebkit

1) If you're going to a reinstall and reformat, that's certainly one way to get your computer restored

2) If you wanted to get Malware specific assistance in removing any infections from your computer Start here for Virus/Malware removal Instructions Attach your logs for review in Malware removal forum and post a new thread

Thanks 'Pjamme' & 'LookinAround' for the instructions. Stinger is scanning for viruses, then I will rerun the other scans and post the logs in the Malware Forum.

Is there a way to disable script protection using command prompt? When I ran DDS earlier it didn't produce any files.

Thanks 'Pjamme' & 'LookinAround' for the instructions. Stinger is scanning for viruses, then I will rerun the other scans and post the logs in the Malware Forum.

Is there a way to disable script protection using command prompt? When I ran DDS earlier it didn't produce any files.

These are all questions you're best to post/ask the malware experts in the malware forums. They'll tell you what they need and any workarounds if need be, if you;'re having problems with running the 8 steps and attaching the logs it requests

Back