HDMI Org says Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI cables are illegal

Matthew DeCarlo

If you've been meaning to pick up a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable, you may want to act quick and get 'em while they're hot. According to HDMI Org, the committee that oversees the HDMI specification, such wires are illegal and could disappear from stores. Speaking with TechRadar, the group claims that any cable with a male Mini DisplayPort connector on one side and a male HDMI connector on the opposite side is unlicensed and shouldn't be on your local Best Buy's shelves.

Backing its claims, the organization underscored a few lines from the HDMI specification. One line specifies an HDMI cable as having only HDMI connectors -- anything else is unpermitted. If that's not convincing enough, the group also said that all HDMI products undergo compliance testing as defined by the Compliance Testing Specification. Since mDP-to-HDMI cables aren't mentioned in the HDMI specification, there are no tests associated with the product, so they can't be approved.

Interestingly, cables with a male mDP connector alongside a female HDMI receptacle are fine because a licensed HDMI cable can be attached. Apple is currently one of the largest proponents of mDP and happens to sell one of the unapproved cables online. It's unclear how HDMI Org will address the situation, but it does acknowledge that there is a market for an mDP-to-HDMI cable instead of a dongle -- they just want to do it by the book. It's worth noting that MonoPrice has already discontinued its mDP-to-HDMI offerings.

Permalink to story.

I'm tired of reading about these proprietary complaints. What difference does it make. So the cables are not completely HDMI compliant, it's a converter cable to be used with a Mini Display Port.

Instead of stopping production, simply put a non-compliance sticker on the cable. It's not as if we haven't seen non-compliance stickers before. Sometimes we don't care for full compliance if the device will in fact work.

Sucks about monoprice... Literally just yesterday I was watching a video on my MBP and it was more than a few minutes, I would have liked to be able to run the video to my TV. I mean I still can, but not as elegantly as a simple cable.

I understand the point of making a port to be "standard" and keep it untouched for the sake of culpability, but this is an adapter....

I personally dont like those "mini" ports, they are so small that i feel they are gonna break or get loosy and have contact problems.

good thing HDMI is almost done it's life cycle and frankly HDMI Org. bite me, who are you to tell me what I can and cannot mate together. Arrogant SOB's

What about a DVI to HDMI cable? That's what I have from my PC to the TV. Bet that's illegal too?

I have a usb to playstation 1 converter I use on my pc that I bought from china for 3$ on ebay. I bet this is also "illegal". If it goes off store shelves ill buy one from china. I need one right now too but I am short on cash. It has to be the easiest way to stream movies and pictures from my cellphone to my tv.

"Interestingly, cables with a male mDP connector alongside a female HDMI receptacle are fine because a licensed HDMI cable can be attached."

This makes no sense. What is special about these cables. Are they guaranteed to be shielded and braided a certain way. I think not. And how many non licensed HDMI cables are sold daily. I bought a 12ft HDMI for $10 and I guarantee it wasn't licensed and the beauty of a digital signal is it doesn't matter. The quality is the same.

Can't someone just make a non-licensed version under a different name (not using HDMI)?

Please, add ethernet to audio/video conection.. no more bizarre cables

Oddly, most if not all reference VGA designs have provision for VGA, DVI, HDMI, and display port available. As we well know, there are few to none manufacturers that take advantage of this by enabling all four connections.

The joke here is, two of my IGP boards have all four types of connectivity implemented! So, I can run my TVs and monitors off these boards without adapters.

Good thing, since some monitor manufacturers are deleting HDMI in favor of display port. My new IPS 24" HP, ($400.00), has display port only.

This is a beat the license fee maneuver, plain and simple.

I know it's not the most convenient, but most boards have SPDIF sound out, which helps to eliminate the HDMI dependency

Hmmm, I wonder if 'by the book' translates directly into 'we get more money'. They're the *****s who made of the definitions of the cable that it has only HDMI connectors and now they are paying the price... oh wait, they aren't, we are. *sigh*

"Since mDP-to-HDMI cables aren't mentioned in the HDMI specification, there are no tests associated with the product, so they can't be approved"

Wouldn't the simplest solution be creating a test, since there isn't one. It's bit much to ban it altogether, especially considering the market demand. Seems smarter to work together and cash in, as opposed to shut it down completely.

"According to HDMI Org, the committee that oversees the HDMI specification, such wires are illegal and could disappear from stores. Speaking with TechRadar, the group claims that any cable with a male Mini DisplayPort connector on one side and a male HDMI connector on the opposite side is unlicensed and shouldn't be on your local Best Buy's shelves."

[Can't blame Best Buy. I just read in industry news that they're a hot item together.]

"Backing its claims, the organization underscored a few lines from the HDMI specification.One line specifies an HDMI cable as having only HDMI connectors -- anything else is unpermitted."

[Leviticus - 404. And the HDMI Org said unto thee, "You shall not pass".]

"Interestingly, cables with a male mDP connector alongside a female HDMI receptacle are fine because a licensed HDMI cable can be attached."

[Licensed and blessed by an ordained minister.]

"It's unclear how HDMI Org will address the situation, but it does acknowledge that there is a market for an mDP-to-HDMI cable instead of a dongle -- they just want to do it by the book."

So HDMI Org isn't saying that it's a bad thing. In fact they are open to the idea of it. They are just saying that they should be tested before one of these days something bad is transmitted and ends up getting somebody hurt. And I agree. If we are going to have a male Mini DisplayPort and male HDMI stay together then they should be smart playing it safe and by the book. We just need to first update the book.

I went to buy an HDMI adapter at Apple for my MBP, and the guy was like "yeah, well we have male-to-female adapter, or we have this long cable that just goes straight from one to the other". So I was like "well, how much is the cable?" The cable was $45, and the adapter was $30. Being that I already have like 5 HDMI cables, and that I didn't want to pay $45 for a proprietary cable, I decided to get the adapter.

I know I still got ripped off, because even my school co-op (which is famous for overcharging on tech equipment) sold the same piece for $10 cheaper, but I wanted it right then, so I was willing to throw an extra $10 for the instant gratification.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the next replacement for HDMI cables may be ethernet cables. What a bloody clever idea, if only someone could have thought of this a few years ago. Then we wouldn't need these sh17e cables that detereate everytime you unplug it, or are screwed if you kink them. The only concern I understand is that someone may plug an internet cable into the display connector and end civilisation as we know it. I can't understand who came up with these **** cables in the 1st place, I hope he was sacked who ever he (or she) is.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the next replacement for HDMI cables may be ethernet cables. What a bloody clever idea, if only someone could have thought of this a few years ago. Then we wouldn't need these sh17e cables that detereate everytime you unplug it, or are screwed if you kink them. The only concern I understand is that someone may plug an internet cable into the display connector and end civilisation as we know it. I can't understand who came up with these **** cables in the 1st place, I hope he was sacked who ever he (or she) is.
Many people were involved in creating the HDMI standard. All of whom were hell bent on making you extremely unhappy. That, I'm sure, was their single minded goal. Try not tying your cables in knots. The signal gets confused running in circles. And here's a few asterisks, "******", to let you know I feel your pain....:rolleyes:

Back