I can't access my E-Mails in Outlook Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilaryjonesred

Hi, I'm new here. Found this site in desperation. When I booted up my computer yesterday morning, Outlook Express started with a blank screen and there were no mails saved. However, I know that they're still there as the storage folder still shows them. I've tried copying the storage folder and importing them again both in Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora and Mozilla. I've even tried copying them it onto another computer and trying to import them.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Hilary
Vienna, Austria

Well, what it sounds like to me is that maybe Outlook needs a kick in the ****. Go into Windows Explorer (not IE) and find the location of your storage folder. IF you're running XP, it's likely going to be within your personal settings folder unless you moved it (Example: C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook) If not, do a file search for 'outlook' or put in a wildcard *.dbx

Once you know where it's stored, make sure Outlook Express is set for that folder. Go to TOOLS>OPTIONS Click the Maintenance tab, click "Store Folder" button. It will show you the current path that is set. If that doesn't match the actual location of the storage folder, change it.

Try that, and post back with the results.

Thanks for the reply. I did all that already - the storage folder is set correctly. When I check in windows explorer all the folders are still there and the data is still in them as I can tell from the size of the files. However, when I open outlook express all that shows on the screen is the empty inbox, outboox, etc. I've tried creating a new identity and using the original folder as the storage folder, but that doesn't work either. It's so frustrating as the information is there and I can't get at it.

If all else fails, you could always install Mozilla's Thunderbird email-program.
This is highly recommended ANYway. Tbird can import all your OE-files.

I tried Thunderbird already and it didn't pick up those folders. It imported the mails from all the other identities, but not that one. I'm totally exasperated. Did I see in one of the threads that you're from near Liverpool? I lived in Waterlook Park, Crosby for 9 years before moving to Vienna.

Hilary

Waaaayyyy off. I live in Dublin, Ireland.

Here is a convertor for DBX-files. That company has tons of other converters as well.
Get the trial version, to see if it can read those specific files.
http://www.thebeatlesforever.com/processtext/abcdbx.html

Can you tell us some more about the identities?
Which ones could it import, which one is the obnoxious one? Could it be password-protected or encrypted?

Thanks for all the very prompt advice - I downloaded the OE Recovery trial and it showed up all the locked mails. My boss has agreed to pay for the full programme as it's a very useful thing to have.

Hilary

Well guys, it worked. I managed to retrieve all the mails. It's a bit of a nuisance as you have to do it folder by folder, save the mails to another folder and then copy them into OE. This programme is very useful to have.

Thanks for your help.

Hilary

Hilary, I think I'm having the same problem as you had. Can you clarify, please, how you fixed your issue? did you use the DBX-files converter?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays

Willie in NY/CT

Yes we bought the programme and it worked. However, I think there are free programmes out there. Will try to find the details again.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Hilary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back