Firefox guide

TS | Thomas

As you might be aware I've been working on one for a few months now (Slowly, so very slowly). Anyone got any suggestions as to what they'd like to see in it? I'm aware there's a few out there at the moment though I'd like to think that so far I've got a few things differently to the "norm" (recommendations wise at least I know I have).

I think one important addition to the guide would be a Top 10 (or could be 20), editor's recommended Firefox extensions, of course the staff and users could help pointing out a few for you. After all the extensions are the heart and soul of Firefox customization and one its biggest key features as well.

Phantasm66 said:
Do you know anything about doing your own themes?
Nope. I was planning on just pointing to a few places where you could get them, or learn how to do them.
At the rate I'm going I'm hoping to have it finished this week anyway :)

Thanks, I was thinking something similar when I got here. It would be neat to have some sort of "staff recommended" extensions. Probably 10 or so we could agree on, or at least I could narrow down anyway. Heck, maybe even a new thread I could link to just for extensions.

Some more good extentions -

TabMix
-The best of many tabbing extentions, including code from the buggy but feature rich 'Tabbrowser Extensions' and many others, this is perhaps the best tabbing extention.
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensio...ation=firefox&category=Newest&numpg=10&id=625

Foxytunes
-Control, more or less, any mediaplayer from Firefox
http://www.iosart.com/foxytunes/firefox/

Sage
-Light weight RSS reader. For those who don't like Livemarks.
http://sage.mozdev.org/

EDIT
It appears there is an update for ForecastFox (0.7.6) on the developers website which is not listed at addons.mozilla.org. Many new icons added, radar views (US only :() and a new weather provider. Exciting stuff.
http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

firefox

Hey why dont u try adding a feature that will allow a firefox user to import & export there bookmarks like on IE??? I think tat would be a very use full feature. :hotbounce

Firefox already imports and exports bookmarks in html format, just like IE can do. This is how I keep my bookmarks syncronised between the two browsers.

TS | Thomas said:
As you might be aware I've been working on one for a few months now (Slowly, so very slowly). Anyone got any suggestions as to what they'd like to see in it? I'm aware there's a few out there at the moment though I'd like to think that so far I've got a few things differently to the "norm" (recommendations wise at least I know I have).
Why don't you just make an Opera 8 Guide?

Seriously? At least consider this alongside a FireFox guide.

Opera 8 (and 7) incorporates 90% of the extentions that the above posts have mentioned. In Opera you don't need those extentions, those abilities are there by default.

In Opera its so much easier to just get things to work, no need to fumble around with dling whatever version of whatever.

For those of you that complain about the banner: The banner takes up less screen realestate than 1/3 of the bar that includes 'back' and 'home' in Internet Explorer.

I probably will do Opera if this turns out alright. I've decided to go with 10 extensions, so far being (In no particular order);

Flashblock.
Netcraft Toolbar.
Session Saver.
Mouse Gestures.
ForecastFox.
Web Developer.
Adblock.
FoxyTunes.
About This Site.

Migrating from/to

I'm well aware Ms Ie has updates to updates and patches
that patch those updates.
As often as I like to try out beta ver of various proggies,
I only just DL'd and installed firefox and thunderbird two days ago
and would'nt mind just dropping IE all together.

Seems to me all of you have shown inncredible patience conserning
everthing on TS forums! thx!

How about a forum just for mozilla.
I don't even know what all the security features are let
alone pluggins and extentions.

Socrates,
Mozilla have their own extensive websites and forums, no need to double up here.

Click your Firefox Bookmarks and follow the "Firefox & Mozilla Information" link.

Thomas, no coverage for a Tab Browsing extension? IMHO that has to be one of the most exploitable features of Firefox.

I think you may want to go with TabMix, seems to be way less buggy to me. It has happened to me on two different computers that I install Tabbrowser Preferences and it never works properly while TabMix has without a hitch.

Great guide!

I think you took to long for the guide! I just checked out a complete PDF Firefox tutorial guide at www.firefoxmentor.com. You have to pay for it, but it covers everything I could think of and a few cool things that I didn't! Did you know that your homepage can be more than one website URL? I didn't? Ok, maybe I'm a dunce :dead: , but it has pictures in it so I can follow along.

It's good check it out.

SimonC
I am NO American idol! :evil:

Back