Internet Explorer VS. Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVEO

Internet Explorer VS. Firefox - Which is better?

I am currently using IE but have heard that most people are switching to Firefox.

I haven't even seen Firefox much less used it, so I dont know if it is any good? :confused:

Can ANYONE give me where a good unbiased revue compairing the two?
:stickout: [Gee i'm a poet and didn't even know it.]

I think googling firefox vs. ie would be a start.

Personally I use firefox, I used to use ie.
Not everything works in firefox(most normal webpages do), for example sites that use active x don't work, like windows update, so you still need to keep ie around even if it isn't the main browser. I really can't stand using ie anymore after using firefox, mainly because of tab browsing, although you can achieve a similar effect by just opening ie several times, or installing a browser add on like maxthon.

But IMO, Firefox is way better, I love tabs, and the find as you type thing is nice too, plus there are extensions that let you add features that you like, and themes to change the look.

As well as the features outlined by vnf4ultra. The main reason I would recommend Firefox, is because it`s just more secure.

There is a very good guide to Firefox HERE

I urge you to give Firefox a try. If you don`t like it, you can always uninstall it.

What have you got to lose?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

one of the best features i find is the cookie options. what you dont want you dont get,GREAT

Yeah, the simplest thing to do would be just give it a try. The benefits over IE from my point of view are;
Cookie management
Tabbed browsing
Extensions/Plugins
Security (No Active X, although as popularity grows Firefox IS & WILL be exploited more & more - they keep fixing them though :))
Advanced configuration options

IE's benefits are;
Compatibility (You might come across a few sites that don't load in Firefox; I've noticed this has decreased though; while certain site features are unavailable, e.g. Creative Auto-Update site, Windowsupdate)
Umm, that'd be it for me ;)

Another vote here for just giving it a try. I'm an IE user, but I do use Firefox as my primary browser in linux. I personally have issues with it on Windows and Mac so I don't use it there but the only way to really get an unbiased (actually you want a biased report as long as it's your own) is to use it. It's safe to install and uninstall if you don't like it - unlike realplayer. :snicker:

As well as the features outlined by vnf4ultra. The main reason I would recommend Firefox, is because it`s just more secure.

hmm is it really?? Well yes it is , obviously, insipte of what symantec says ;). But if security is on the top of your mind, then Opera wins hands down , no 2 questions about it. check www.secunia.com - I have never seen Opera have even 1 unpatched issue.
As for IE, I think its an absolute insult to any browser which is compared to it. yes its that bad! :p

While you are trying it, download Opera too, its free. It also has all those advantages Firefox does over IE. And its got superior tab management to Firefox.

I agree with trying firefox. I was inspired by the gang here to use it more about a year ago. I really like it .I personally use it for general surfing, and IE for sites that don't like it+microsoft update.
Read a report at www.zdnet.com ; It seems that Firefox may be more secure simply because it has not been so prominently used, and in fact the Internet terrorists are beginning to set their sites on it .Witness the number of security updates at Mozilla in the last 8 odd months.
It is a shame ,but what can you do but keep patchin!

Firefox is what I use, after years of using IE. Man, I gotta tell ya, after using FF, IE SUCKS. It really SUCKS. Trust me. I find that when I use IE, browsing the net becomse as a whole much harder. I get rampant popups that keep on going even after the program is closed, and I have never gotten any spyware using FF. When I used IE, I would do a weekly scan. Over 1,000 critical objects would be cited. Then I switched to FF, 50 critical objects. Isn't that reason enough?

I do use IE a lot without many problems. I'm either lucky, careful and attentive, or a combination of both. I use firefox to an equall degree though.

I consider myself a bad example in the browser stakes - I tell everyone ese to use firefox. If I get in a mess I can usually clear it up myself as and when it happens - not that I often get such events. About 3 months ago was the last time I got something serious (simple run-of-the-mill adware) I think.

What I do like about firefox though is the patches. Firefox can have just as many reported vulnerabilities at any one tmie as IE, but in Firefox they get patched as their reported. Moreover, the people working on it are happy to hear from independant researchers. MS aren't. A lot of IE problems are well known, but not officially recognised.

Plus there's the fact that Firefox interacts with Windows in a much more secure fasion than IE does. Of course, this is all the stuff that you don't really see - at first anyway. On top of this, you have all the wonderful features that IE doesn't - plus the more people the move away from MSIE, the stronger the message it sends to MS...

...fix your damned browser! lol

Of course, if FF was the most popular browser, it would make the web itself a much more exciting place. Web developers could acctually do new an innovative things with the standards all browsers adhere to, except MSIE. It's a shame, but MS refusal to make IE comply to the latest standards kinda brings the web down to the lowest common denominator really.

Many of my above remarks may well be relevant to browsers such as Opera too. I must add.

DAVEO said:
I am currently using IE but have heard that most people are switching to Firefox.

I haven't even seen Firefox much less used it, so I dont know if it is any good? :confused:

Can ANYONE give me where a good unbiased revue compairing the two?
:stickout: [Gee i'm a poet and didn't even know it.]

Don't worry. You can have IE and Mozilla Firefox together.
I'm studying Webmaster's Diplom and we use Firefox. I think for using
differents languages(Html, JavaScript, Php y Asp), it's a good compromise.

TS | Thomas said:
Extensions/Plugins
Security (No Active X, although as popularity grows Firefox IS & WILL be exploited
BTW: There is a plugin that enables ActiveX in FF.

My personal opinion is, this reduces FF to IE insecurity; ActiveX is the backdoor
to major security problem in IE. It is also the cause of websites that only work with IE (big surprise? not).

For a better browser experience (ie: secure, performance, adherance to W3C specifications),
stick with OEM Browsers, as they have the motivation to be compliant and foward compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back