SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A not reading all dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vaio FS series with SONY DVD+-RW DW-D56A dvd combo drive. For the past few days it has suddenly stopped reading most dvds. however it does read/writes cds perfectly. It is also able to burn dvds and read them as well

strangely it also reads some dvds when inserted but may not read them when removed and inserted again.

I have done the latest firmware upgrade and also tried installing the drive again (including removal of upperfilters, lowerfilters keys from the registry)

I am using windows xp pro and nero..

I have the exact same problem. Just started yesterday. Randomly stopped reading all DVDs. I tried the same dvd for a while then I restarted... it played it once now I haven't been able to get any DVDs to play. It's a Sony VAIO FS-680W. My cd's play fine though. I also tried the delete the upper and lower filters/uninstall reinstall. Still doesn't read DVDs.

hmmm... iv also got this problem. i bought a new philips DVD/RW with liteScribe and it worked fine for a few weeks all of the sudden it packed in and stopped reading DVD's.

Thinking it was a dud i gave it to my bro to use as a cd/rw and purchased myself a new HP dvd840i Super Multi DVD Writer after installing it i soon found out that the problem i was having with the philips drive was now happening with the HP one.

Iv tried updating firmware for the HP but there is nothing new out yet as the drive is pretty fresh. Im assuming this isnt a problem with the drives but something to do with windows. This problems a bit over my head so any help is very much appreciated. I want to watch my christmas DVD's and cant :(

DVD drives generally have 2 lesers, one for reading CDs one for DVDs. May be the leser for DVDs is not working properly. Sony has a drivecheck utility. You may try that.

well as i said earlier im having the same problems with 2 different brand new drives, iv read a few other threads and found that i hadnt set the region for this HP, something id forgot to do but i had set that with the philips. However this hasnt helped so im now trying the remove filters fix fingers crossed this will work after reboot.

hmmm this still hasnt worked... iv now installed an old DVD out of my dads pc and that works problem is this isnt anygood for me as its just a reader :( anymore suggestions anyone?

Mine reads/burns DVD's but cannot read or burn CD

Hello all,

Such a frustrating issue, perhaps it would be the easiest to replace the drive... Someone here mentioned that the dvd/cd combo drives have 2 seperate laser for cd and dvd, so maybe my cd laser is no longer working? but this laptop is only a year old...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ok, I am having this same problem. Strangely enough, just after my laptop went out of warranty (DELL). I dont know much about this kind of stuff but have tried cleaning, uninstalling/installing the driver. Could this be some kind of virus? Whats next to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back