Orphan Files recovered became CORRUPTED or 0kb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to everybody,
first of all sorry for my poor English and for the errors I will surely make while posting (I'm also a newbie!).
I have @ home an AMD64mb 3000+ , ASUS K8v motherboard and MAXTOR 200Gb HD (quite new, some months old) divided in 2 partitions (1 for Windows XP Professional with SP1 about 20gigs and one for data that is 180 gig).

Two days ago I brought my HD to a friend, we put it as Slave (of course we had to) and I had a quite big surprise: CHECKDSK (the one that starts automatically before loading Windows) found ORPHAN FILES and it deleted or recovered them.
Well, I had on the data partition (180 gig totally) about 150 gig of stuff, after the chckdsk (at the first launch of WIndows) I discovered to have just 120 gig !? A lot of files were 0Kb (!?! they were 700mb files !?) and other went corrupted. I treied yesterday @ my home but I still see corrupted files and 0kb files. I tried a complete checkdisk on my pc and a lot of applications but the files are always there corrupted and unreadable.

The pc of my friend was an Intel with Asus Motherboard BUT with windows 2000.

Hope somebody may help, thanx in advance!

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday...

I was doing a Windows reinstall, so I backed up all my data on my second HD and took it out. Something horrible always happens when I reformat my HD, so I like to keep my files out of reach...

When I plugged it back in, Scandisk pops up during startup saying the drive needs to be checked for consistency. After a few minutes of "Rebuilding Index"es "Recovering Orphaned File"s, Windows loads and 60-70% of the files on the drive are corrupt.

The PC was always unplugged when transferring drives... What went wrong? And is there any hope for my data?

Chkdsk sometimes causes a loss of data because repairs usually changes the disk’s file allocation table.

So does anyone know how to solve this problem yet, because I am having the same problem with 250 gigs of data potentially gone!

none of the files were deleted; the drive was not formatted... there has to be a way of getting these files back.

please help!

...250 gigs of data potentially gone!
...200Gb HD divided in 2 partitions (1 ... about 20gigs and one ... 180 gig)...
hum; LBA HDs loosing/corrupting data --- sounds like a bad configuration.
CHKDSK is your friend, EVEN if it finds crossed-linked files. you just can't allow
that to continue and expect to keep your data.

1) power recycle frequently.
had a friend that left a server on 24/7. went to install a UPS and upon restart, lost >50% of the data due to cross-linked files! At least recycle power one/week.​

2) beware of file sharing with multiple concurrent updates to the same file.
shared updates from multiple users on different systems requires special programming techniques {ie a variation of flock()}.
few programs are written with this intent and thus fail to protect the data properly.​

3) once you have ZERO byte file sizes, your only prayer is your LAST BACKUP.

I've been trying different data recovery applications (recover my files, pci file recovery, file recovery pro, many others...) but the one that has worked the best is GetDataBack. I think it actually fixed the mft that chkdsk screwed up. found all the orphan files and restored the indexs etc.. - it recovered most of the data; including the original directories and original file names.

Now i've encountered another problem.. when I begin to copy the data to the good drive (especially in large amounts), sometime after the process my good drive becomes corrupt!

i.e.,
c:\docs&settings... nethood is corrupt and unreadable
c:\docs&settings... my documents is corrupt and unreadable
c:\docs&settings... start menu\programs is corrupt and unreadable
c:\docs&settings... sendto is corrupt and unreadable
c:\ is corrupt and unreadable

This is the second time this has happened (1st time after I tried to copy over a large amount of data from one of the still intact partitions on the bad drive, over to the good drive) - after that i had to reformat good drive and reinstall windows.

Now it has happened again, and I'm gonna have to reformat the drive again etc. I'm lucky i still have internet access, nothing else works.

Any ideas as to why this is happeneing? is it because i'm moving too large amount of data (2-3gigs) at one time??

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back