Recovered Files Won't Play

I need help. I had some video files on a large external hard drive that I deleted folder by folder. I have never used that hard drive since I deleted these folders. I was able to recover all of the data but none of the videos or pictures will play or display. I don't understand since I did not add any new data after I deleted everything. How do I fix the files I recovered? I have tried to use some video repair tools and none of them seem to work.

On the assumption that your Undelete was a success,
1) Did you copy the actual files or their shortcut links? What are their sizes?
2) What are the file extensions? How were you playing these files earlier? What software?

Last edited:
On the assumption that your Undelete was a success,
1) Did you copy the actual files or their shortcut links? What are their sizes?
2) What are the file extensions? How were you playing these files earlier? What software?
I used a recovery software (Recuva) and saved the actual files it recovered. Combination of files types since this was a media drive for work. Mostly mp4, mpeg and some other video/photo file types. Not a single one works even though the recovery software says it was recovered.

The chances of making these files work is remote. There are paid for solutions but I think it would be a waste of time and money to pursue this.

Are you using the same pc and the same applications to play the videos and view the photos that you used when you made them. You said they were on an external hdd so you could be using a different pc with a different os and applications, if so you might go to the properties of the application and click the compatibility tab to see if you can change compatibility mode.

Last edited:
I used a recovery software (Recuva) and saved the actual files it recovered. Combination of files types since this was a media drive for work. Mostly mp4, mpeg and some other video/photo file types. Not a single one works even though the recovery software says it was recovered.
You can try this.
Install VLC player.
Run VLC player and from the file input choose the recovered file. It might ntry a repair and play the file. What error message does it give?

Are you using the same pc and the same applications to play the videos and view the photos that you used when you made them. You said they were on an external hdd so you could be using a different pc with a different os and applications, if so you might go to the properties of the application and click the compatibility tab to see if you can change compatibility mode.
Yes to both. What's weird is the recovery sw says they aren't written over and healthy and I can see the data size and everything. But not a single file opens in any player or app. Yet on another HDD that I did the same thing on, those files are playable. I have tried 2-3 diff recovery software too. Is there now way to repair these files at all?? I didn't write over them or anything. Simply deleted them at one point. and I deleted them folder by folder instead of just all as one large delete.

Sadly nothing has worked. But I can see the properties, data size of each file and recovery apps says the files are healthy and fine. Yet not a single one opens in any app or player. I don't get it and this is years of work too. Very depressing.

That's how it goes. I've just lost a load of files when my SSD suddenly died. Although most are backed up to USB stick I lost a large and important folder. We all make mistakes. In the past I've tried some of the available recovery software and none of it worked. It just deepens the exasperation. Unless you have access to one of the major international security or law enforcement agencies it's likely game over. When it's gone it's gone.

Yes to both. What's weird is the recovery sw says they aren't written over and healthy and I can see the data size and everything. But not a single file opens in any player or app. Yet on another HDD that I did the same thing on, those files are playable. I have tried 2-3 diff recovery software too. Is there now way to repair these files at all?? I didn't write over them or anything. Simply deleted them at one point. and I deleted them folder by folder instead of just all as one large delete.
What error get VLC? Have you tried convert files to other format for example with Any Video Converter?

Back