Task Manager has been disabled by the Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkeen

I recently got a virus that turned off my task manager and i have been unable to turn it back on. When i hit cntrl+alt+delete i get a message that says "the task manager has been disabled by your admin"

Any one have any ideas?

You need to type regedit into the run box. Then modify the registry as per the instructions in the link I gave you.

It does say near the bottom of the article, that if you are using xp home, use regedit.

Regards Howard :)

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: DisableTaskMgr
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager

Since i dont have pro this is what i did to try and fix my problem and to my suprise the value was already 0, but my task mgr is still disabled.

-----------------

Click Start
Click Run
Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK
In the Group Policy settings window
Select User Configuration
Select Administrative Templates
Select System
Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
Select Remove Task Manager
Double-click the Remove Task Manager option

---when i do regedit - i get none of these options, or i just missing it some how.

Copy and paste this into the run box,it`s another way of achieving the above.That doesn`t mean to say that it will fix the problem.

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

it reset and is now off again. i know i can cut/paste that line in and fix it when i need it but there has to be a way to fix it permanently
:suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back