Daily BSOD -- Need help diagnosing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is part of one dump file.

Problem has been occurring now for a few day. Most stops occur at night while the computer is idle. I have two dump files.

Dump 1:

BugCheckCode 1000000a
BugCheckParameter1 00000016
BugCheckParameter2 00000002
BugCheckParameter3 00000000
BugCheckParameter4 804f8e2a

Dump 2:

BugCheckCode 1000000a
BugCheckParameter1 00000016
BugCheckParameter2 00000002
BugCheckParameter3 00000000
BugCheckParameter4 804f8e2a

At least they are consistent. Here is my computer configuration.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-12BD4479E0
System Manufacturer Magnell
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2640 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1013, 4/7/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

Any help diagnosing this would be appreciated. I have attached the two dump files.

looking at the bugcheck , it seems like some of the .sys files (drivers) are not updated enough. If possible try to update all the drivers . Now there is a way to narrow down the list of drivers that need to be updated. However try to update as many drivers as possible

and also try to update the antivirus.

hopefully this might help.

Thanks and one more question

I will work on updating all the drivers. I am interested in the statement you made about the feasibility of isolating the offending driver. Could you give me an idea of how to isolate the driver that is causing the problem?

Both crashes are caused by Comodo Firewall. I think you're using the latest version. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling, otherwise you may have to try another Firewall.

BugCheck 1000000A, {16, 2, 0, 804f8e2a}
Probably caused by : cmdmon.sys ( cmdmon+7e2 )
Image name: cmdmon.sys Timestamp: Sun Jan 28 21:03:29 2007 (45BC9111)

isolating an old driver is a time consuming job...however if you want to know :)....first you will have to download microsoft mps report tool from microsoft downloads website. Run that tool on your computer.It might take 10-15 mins. This will create log files on you computer at the location c:\windows\MPSreports\setup . Now all these logs are a bit tricky to read and sometimes difficult to understand . However if you want to check the versions and date of the driver, open driver.csv. This will open the list of drivers ,use filters to remove the fields that are not required and also uncheck all the microsoft drivers using filters. This will give a list of all the third party drivers with their versions and dates....update any driver that is before 2003 .... from the log files you can check anything that goes on your computer , and its all in one place.

peterdiva said:
Both crashes are caused by Comodo Firewall. I think you're using the latest version. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling, otherwise you may have to try another Firewall.

Image name: cmdmon.sys Timestamp: Sun Jan 28 21:03:29 2007 (45BC9111)

Excellent. I have now gone 20 hours without a BSOD. This is looking good.

I do have one further question: How did you identify Comodo from the dump file? I did not see it in the output from the dumpchk utility. This is a skill I would love to pick up.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look at this short tutorial on how to analyse minidumps.

You will see that both minidumps crash at cmdmon.sys. This is part of your Comodo firewall.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cmdmon.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for cmdmon.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This is Great!

You all have been extremely helpful. The debugging reference was superb!

I am smarter today than I was yesterday.

Thanks

Ziggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back