High Quality Performance
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.00GHz) LGA775
- ASUS GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)
- Inno3D GeForce 7900 GS (512MB)
- Gigabyte GeForce 8600 GTS (256MB)
- Gigabyte GeForce 8600 GT (256MB)
- ASUS Radeon HD 2900 XT (512MB)
- ASUS Radeon X1950 XT (512MB)
- ASUS Radeon X1950 Pro (256MB)
- ASUS Radeon HD 2600 XT (512MB)
- Microsoft Windows XP Pro (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
- Intel System Driver 220.127.116.110
- Nvidia Forceware 163.67
- ATI Catalyst 7.9
As you can see Enemy Territory : Quake Wars is a lot more kind to those using the lower-spec GeForce 8600 and Radeon HD 2600 graphics cards. Like previous games built on the id Tech 4 engine such as Doom 3, Quake 4 and Prey, this latest title favours Nvidia-based graphics cards. That said, the GeForce 8600 cards are only slightly faster than the Radeon HD 2600XT, all of which provided very playable performance at 1440x900. Even 1680x1050 was quite playable on these mid-range graphics cards using the high quality visual settings.
The GeForce 7900 GS was borderline playable at 1920x1200 which is impressive, while the Radeon X1950XT fared very well at this resolution.
Needless to say the more expensive Radeon HD 2900XT and GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB provided excellent frame rates at 1920x1200. The GeForce 8800 GTX was the anticipated champion dominating all resolutions across the board.
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: