5G is safe, so why do people believe it makes them ill?

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Claims that 5G can cause health ailments have been populating the internet for some time, gaining traction as Covid-19 spread across the world—some say the next-gen networks caused the virus. Studies have shown 5G does not negatively impact humans, so why do so many people believe the opposite?

Engadget looked into the phenomenon of unexplainable symptoms, which is called “Idiopathic Environmental Intolerance,” often known as multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS) or environmental illness. It refers to a set of recurrent symptoms that can’t be attributed to diagnosed medical issues.

Professor Omer van den Bergh, a professor of Health Psychology at the University of Leuven in Belgium, said that people often blame these symptoms on environmental causes. It used to be that common items such as perfumes would be singled out as the problem, but in the modern world, the symptoms are attributed to electromagnetic radiation in the environment.

“Our whole society... seems to assume that if there is a physical symptom in our experience, there must be a physiological cause,” said Prof. Van den Bergh. People then become willing to believe any potential answer as they look to address their symptoms. “If you have, for example, activist groups or other groups that are also sharing a belief that it might be caused by, let’s say, electro-magnetic radiation, then you become selectively sensitive to that,” he added. “You start to perceive correlations between your symptoms and the sources of electromagnetic radiation.”

The belief that electromagnetic radiation causes health problems isn’t new. People have blamed everything from 3G to WiFI for causing unexplained illnesses, which has led to some individuals living ‘off-the-grid’. Fans of TV show Better Call Saul will remember Chuck McGill believing that he suffered from electromagnetic hypersensitivity—though his brother proved it was all in his mind.

Fear of 5G is becoming a serious issue and has led to phone masts in the UK being set on fire. Some social media sites have banned the promotion of the idea and YouTube has been removing videos. Others are profiting from the situation: a company is selling a $346 USB stick that uses “quantum technology” to protect from the effects of 5G, though it turned out to be a $6 thumb drive.

Back in March, a seven-year study by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) found there is no evidence that 5G mobile networks pose any threat to human health.

Prof. Van den Bergh believes those who experience symptoms shouldn’t be mocked or shouted at and emphasized that they really are suffering. Make sure to check out the full article on Engadget.

Image credit: BradleyStearn and Kevin J. Frost

Permalink to story.

Most people don't understand what radiation is. Whenever they hear the word, they just think of nukes and Chernobyl.
They don't even understand that 5G waves have less energy than radiation on the visible spectrum.
Imagine someone being afraid of radiation from a lamp post.....

This is a very biased writing.

Fans of TV show Better Call Saul will remember Chuck McGill believing that he suffered from electromagnetic hypersensitivity—though his brother proved it was all in his mind.
He didn't prove anything. Where did you get that?

There are many people like Chuck, whose condition isn't psychological.

...5G waves have less energy than radiation on the visible spectrum.
Oh boy.., If you went into a 12th grade physics class (in eastern europe, a decade or more ago) with a claim like that, you would have been laughed at, and probably ridiculed.
It would be like saying: As a mathematician, I can tell you that 2 + 2 = 3.67 ..because electrolytes! (brought to you by Carl's Jr.)

I assume you believe that microwaves ovens don't exist?!?
But don't worry, to most people reading your comment you will sound knowledgeable...

There is a true reason behind everything. But the media is paid to advertise only the imbeciles, as diversion. And the mass believes everything the picture box says. Everything nowadays is paid to be safe. All the scientists who approve something are just random people from the street who got paid $$$ (3 digits enough for trust) to sign the paper of being a scientist. Nobody verifies anything. Nobody questions anything. People just believe absolutely everything told on picture box. And with extreme pride. And then they spread what they heard, aggressively denying everything opposite.
What's really behind the fear of 5G? This video on YT ("5G Apocalypse") explains something:
Who know, those know, if not better. And who doesn't want to know, eh, who cares...

Simple: The same governments that say "5G is safe" said back in february that "coronavirus isnt a major risk at this time" and said in march "masks will not help you, wash your hands" then in april changed their tune "you MUST have a mask to stop the spread and were gonna require them if you want to go outside", then in may after antibody testing showed a cFR of 0.1-0.4, and a cFR of <0.01 for those under the age of 50, said governments still say we need to lock down and hide from corona, that people are dying everywhere, that "were in this together" while they pull their fat checks and disobey their own rules as the economy and people's futures crumble aroudn them.

This is only a very simple course of events, leaving out much nuance. Still, trust in the government is at an all time low. So is trust in "experts" that have repeatedly shown they will cave on certian subjects if they upset the twiiter mafia; whose paperes are written to gatekeep anyone who cant decipher a college report filled with unnecessarilly long wordage. Add in "experts" being unable to determine if fat, or sugar, or coffee, ece is good or bad for you, with opinions changing with the wind, or the DSM being re-written constantly movind definitions or removing transsexual dysphoria as a mental disorder but including "gaming disorder" with 0 scientific basis, then the same "experts" telling people how games are great ways to cope with the house arrests, or the "experts" that praised 12a refridgerant as being so much safer for the enviroment, then switching tone and badmouthing 12a while praising 134a, conveniently as 12a's patent ran out, then doing the SAME THING TODAY with 134a and 1234a, despite 1234a being somewhat EXPLOSIVE. So regardless if 5g is "safe" or not, many people dont trust those in power to tell the truth.

This is what happens when governments and experts obfuscate data, abandon transparency, and are then called out on it, repeatedly, decade after decade, you build generatiosn of mistrust that eventually boil over.People are not stupid, they recognize patterns, and regardless of 5g's saftey, the powers that be use the same methods to promote said safter they used for all the BS written above, and so naturally people dont believe them for a second. "the boy who cried wolf" comes to mind.

Last edited:
BUT what too many choose to ignore is the amount of and power required in order to meet all those claims. While it's not ionizing radiation, enough of any radiation has the ability (over long terms) to cause damage to the body. To reach the claimed power AND be able to be received inside buildings, etc. you are talking about clusters of antenna that be bombarding anyone near by for 24/7. Sorry, that study has yet to be properly conducted so the claim it's safe simply has not been verified.

Just like all the 5G articles on here, the comments section is full of rubbish.

I'll ask all the crazies above me, once again, why aren't you scared of 4G LTE but you are of 5G? Please, for the love of god, explain why 4G LTE hasn't killed you but 5G will?
I think Wifi is even more similar to 5G from a layman’s perspective. Why hasn’t Wifi killed you? I’ve been living in the same house as that electromagnetic radiation for over half my life. Why am I so damn healthy?

I'll ask all the crazies above me, once again, why aren't you scared of 4G LTE but you are of 5G? Please, for the love of god, explain why 4G LTE hasn't killed you but 5G will?

^
this is what I first thought when I saw all this 5G paranoia

"What do they think it's more damaging with 5G than with 4G or 3G or 2G?"

Oh boy.., If you went into a 12th grade physics class (in eastern europe, a decade or more ago) with a claim like that, you would have been laughed at, and probably ridiculed.
It would be like saying: As a mathematician, I can tell you that 2 + 2 = 3.67 ..because electrolytes! (brought to you by Carl's Jr.)

I assume you believe that microwaves ovens don't exist?!?
But don't worry, to most people reading your comment you will sound knowledgeable...

You a right. I oversimplified a lot and passed the wrong information.

What I should have said was that the spectrum that 5G uses, has a lower frequency waves, than daylight spectrum. Putting it further away from the ionizing spectrum.

This is a very biased writing.

He didn't prove anything. Where did you get that?

There are many people like Chuck, whose condition isn't psychological.

In a season or two the guy was back to normal.

There are people who are sensitive to light (a form of EM radiation) because of bad light cell or wiring. They get seizures or headaches from strobe/bright lights etc.

In one picture they misspelled stealth. I think that says something about their intelligence.

Most people don't understand what radiation is. Whenever they hear the word, they just think of nukes and Chernobyl.
They don't even understand that 5G waves have less energy than radiation on the visible spectrum.
Imagine someone being afraid of radiation from a lamp post.....

I'm not saying 5G is harmful but there have been studies that have shown changes in behavioral patterns in mice.

Here's a rundown of the broader pictures, including what you stated: https://www.howtogeek.com/423720/how-worried-should-you-be-about-the-health-risks-of-5g/

I'd simply call for more studies on the topic before pressing for mass rollout.

I'm not saying 5G is harmful but there have been studies that have shown changes in behavioral patterns in mice.

With doses orders of magnitude higher than what you will get from 5G towers, and in poorly controlled studies. Dosage is everything as all drugs or even food will kill you if you take too much. Remember the woman who killed herself by drinking too much *water* for a PR stunt?

The bigger problem with 5G is that it sucks indoors, so as a tech it seems DOA.

With doses orders of magnitude higher than what you will get from 5G towers, and in poorly controlled studies. Dosage is everything as all drugs or even food will kill you if you take too much. Remember the woman who killed herself by drinking too much *water* for a PR stunt?

The bigger problem with 5G is that it sucks indoors, so as a tech it seems DOA.

All the more reason to test it properly then :).

and yes, 5G does suck indoors.

That's a very weak logical argument. The power each one uses increases generation by generation. Some things kill slowly over a long period of time. Take cigarettes for instance. Your argument is just bizarre. Plus, 5G is the first technology ever to be weaponized and used by the military for crowd control. That's a fact you can verify right now per the governments own websites.

Very weak argument. Try again.

I'm very happy to see that the majority of the people responding on this thread don't just roll over like a little dog and believe anything they're told.

I'm open and willing to debate the issue but you better come with arguments that make logical sense. Not "why are you afraid of 5g if you aren't afraid of 4g". :)

Last edited:
Back