Adobe confirms Flash 10.1 coming to everything but iPhone

By Emil
Oct 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. At its MAX conference, Adobe not only announced Air 2.5 for phones, tablets, and TVs but it also confirmed that it would be bringing Flash Player 10.1 to Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, RIM's BlackBerry OS, HP's WebOS 2.0, Symbian, MeeGo, and the LiMo platform. Unfortunately, there's still no timeline for a release on each platform; Adobe is only saying that Flash 10.1 is "expec...

Read the whole story
  2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

Alright, one more reason to give phones running windows a second chance.! lol
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,329   +377

Let's hope this Flash is more secure than previous versions. It's been a mess so far...
  4. VitaminC

VitaminC Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Reading this article right after flash made my chrome v7 crash has left a funny taste in my mouth.
  5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,489   +302

All the more reason to dump this iPhone, sadly, if the website is popular and the flash content is either a game or Video, theres usually already an app for that (Examples include BBC News and Farmville)
  6. oasis789

oasis789 Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

wtf apple. another reason to switch to android
  7. crzydave

crzydave Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

Does anyone know the reason why apple is not supporting flash on their products? Is it a compatibility issue or something else?
  8. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 195

I have not done research, but I think Apple does not support Flash because they do not own Adobe,
    if they can not make the profit, they do not want to let the software on their devices.
    Come to think of it, Apple would actually make more sales if they allowed Flash on their devices...
    and more sales would mean more profit.
    That argument does not make any sense, maybe Apple just thinks Flash is to insecure.
  9. rtfmx9

rtfmx9 Newcomer, in training

What's the big deal with flash? I have iPhone and never felt I missed anything on the web by not having flash on it. Even on PC, I find it annoying to have to use special add-on for Firefox to get rid of flash adds. I say - good riddance, I don't need more adds on my phone :)

I understand people's habits are different and many may feel need for flash on their phone but that's why there are other companies out there who support it. I don't miss it.
  10. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Flash On Windows Phone 7 tastes delicious on my lips. :)
  11. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Especially if it utilizes the GPU like the rest of Windows Phone 7 does.

12. VitaminC

VitaminC Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Even though Apple is in this one for itself (as is the case with any corporation), i stand to benefit from the fight it's putting up. Apple supporting HTML5 (open standards) as a way to access information on the web, is a way friendlier approach than having to have a plugin in my browser standing between me and my goals on the web, whatever they may be.
    I feel the same way about silverlight. Why the hell should i have to have some random corporation's plugin sitting on my computer just to "see" certain things on the web.
    Think about it.
  13. rebelinhyd

rebelinhyd Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

flash and shockwave make my browsers crash more often than anything else but i somehow feel worse about silverlight!
  14. frodough

frodough Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

what a disgrace, apple rather save face than make a friendlier product. this is on apple.
  15. like using itunes to "hear" my music
  16. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

Apple: Flash is a lethal desease, exterminate it, it's...evolving! I still don't see the true point of their decision yet.
  17. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Apple feels HTML5 is simply a better technology than flash. Apple has been doing things their own way ever since 1982 where they attempted to make their own form factor of floppy drives. Even after that was criticized they continue to make their products incompatible with industry standards like flash, games, OS, peripherals ect. Because they want people to conform to what they feel is best, not what we feel is best.
  18. topcoach

topcoach Newcomer, in training Posts: 43

It appears that Apple is shooting itself in the foot.
  19. tacobfm

tacobfm Newcomer, in training Posts: 59

Lmao. GG apple. Way to ignore the competition
    However its understandble of apple to do this. Everything theydo is closed and come with their own standards
  20. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

Frankly, I do not mind apple not using Flash. It is brining some interesting flavour to the market. Yes flash was ubiqutious, but without Apple as a user, it is allowing other standards to come into the market.

That being said, my next mobile device will be android based.
  21. bioflex

bioflex Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

yep...your are right about that.
  22. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

Iphone is old news apple has a strangle hold on there products and wont let anyone do anything without there says so i say i hope apple learns from this as i see a lot of market share being lost to android based phones in the near future.
  23. kakarot27

kakarot27 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

jailbreak get flash substitute.
  24. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 389   +35

If you think about it though, Flash killed Quicktime (good riddance) so Apple is sour over that whole ordeal and they have little hesitation to flip Flash the bird and say no more. Rightly so as well I think, considering Flash is (I assume) poorly coded and as a result is a buggy, unstable, bloated resource hog. I can see why they don't want it on their streamlined systems. But probably 95% of video on the internet is flash based and plenty of websites run their entire user interface in flash. So yeah, sucks for iPhone users.
  25. Eddo22

Eddo22 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 149

Everything... cept apparently no flash updates for Pocket Pc.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.