TechSpot

AMD dabbles in DRAM, intros Radeon-branded DDR3 memory

By Matthew
Aug 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Undiscouraged by plummeting DRAM prices, AMD has begun elbowing its way into the system memory market. The prominent chipmaker has announced three new DDR3 RAM series: Entertainment, UltraPro Gaming, and…

Read the whole story

2. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +11

Looks good. Super fast ram from AMD lets see how this plays out for them

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Super fast ????
    it's 1333 @ 9-9-9-25 and 1600 @ 11-11-11 !

The thing going for it is that it's GUARANTEED to work with AMD boards.

I'm not entirely sold on AMD linking itself with something so budget and low-specced- it doesn't seem to be sending the right signals if you know what I mean.
    Given that the profit line for RAM modules is abyssmal (especially taking into account warranty replacements), I really don't see any upside to AMD rebranding the lowest binned Hynix modules in existance.
    2GB modules are also somewhat late to the party.

4. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

At Least I know I´ll have 1600Mhz in my next buil for sure!

5. HiDDeNMisT

Oh wow I didn't even see the latencies of the modules. That's horrible. I'm surpried that there modules are so low specced. I also agree with you that there is no upside. There just going to lose money making all those. Computer techs won't buy it. I kinda want to see the price tho. Watch it be real expensive.

6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Price : Real, Real Cheap

Cheap enough to persuade someone who builds/upgrades? No

Cheap enough for HP and Dell to toss into generic grey boxes? You bet.

7. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

This is just generic RAM branded by AMD. Not even close to the real competitors.

8. HiDDeNMisT

yeah i agree

9. Add a new memory frequency of 1866 MHz DDR, with reasonable timings, and the modules may actually be interpreted as products designed for the incoming Bulldozer architecture.

Otherwise, it is just another generic memory brand...

10. I'm not impressed with the timings and the look of the chips (lack of heatspreaders), but this is a smart move for AMD. Being able to offer a complete platform is kinda cool.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.