AMD vs. Intel

By larryiam
Jul 11, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok as you know i am buliding me a computer. I have already got the most part done dvd burner antec earthwatts 500w psu etc...... Now i am trying to decide which would be better amd or intel i've got a budget of around 150$ that im sticking to for a cpu, mobo, and ram. I don't game all i do is encode video and i would like for it to be fast. with the occasional HD movie.

Now here is what i am considering on intel:
    Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz

ECS GF7050VT-M LGA 775 GeForce7050 / 610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

WINTEC AMPX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    OR
    WINTEC AMPO 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

And the AMD:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz

WINTEC AMPX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

And the video card i am debating on all i want is a video card for HD video and iTunes visualizer. Here is a major consideration but im still open for suggestions. :)
    ZOTAC ZT-86TEG2P-FSR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB

I am open for suggestion on any and all. :D
  2. tragicallyhip

tragicallyhip TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106   +9

The Intel E2180 is a ultra budget chip,dont be fooled into thinking this dual core chip will perform any better than an old P4 chip.If your serious about an upgrade that will keep your machine on track for now and down the road only consider a chip E6550 or higher.
  3. larryiam

larryiam Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 577

Well im on a budget can't afford much more. There is always room for an upgrade in the future.
  4. josephjosephson

josephjosephson Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

consider cpu socket

just make sure your mobo socket will be appropriate for what may be a plausible cpu upgrade for the future otherwise you'll be upgrading both if you want to change out that cpu
  5. godsclown

godsclown Newcomer, in training

Do not put down the E2180 so fast, it is a gem for overclocking. You can easily push it to 2,8 GHz, and if you have the heart for it, you can push it over 3 GHz, maybe 3.2 GHz.

***​

As for the GeForce7050 motherboard graphic card, don't discard it without a thought or two. Even if integrated,, this card's memory can be pushed at around 490 Mb --they write 512 Mb, but I have my doubts about it.

I played Crysis without any problems. I have a DualCore Intel Pentium E2180, initially at 2000 MHz; motherboard Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2; GeForce7050 motherboard graphic card and 2 Gb of RAM (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM). Nothing fancy, eh? But the latest games (I am in chess and first person shooters) and playing/editing movies are not a problem at all. I admit that for some games, I will only play at medium graphic qualities, but for less than $350 CA for a home built computer, I am a very happy trooper. Plus this computer is easily upgradable.

If I rambled :rolleyes: :haha: about first person shooters gaming, it is because larryiam wrote:

So the GeForce 7050 with integrated HDMI capabilities should have its share of respect. ;)

:zzz:

Woops, put myself to sleep there :haha:

godsclown
  6. tragicallyhip

tragicallyhip TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106   +9

There you go,imperical evidence that your prefered choice may be the right one and I stand corrected.Good luck and keep on posting :)
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

You Had to know This Was Coming.....

I have 3 systems. When I use Nero 6 "Recode" for Video "Advanced Analysis", this is what happens;

1. P4 Prescott (519) 3.06 Non-HT)
    1.5GB 333Mhz DDR
    GAG915 Intel mobo Outputs about 350 FPS (frames per second)

2 Prescott 3.06Ghz Celeron
    1.0GB 667Mhz DDR2
    MSI 410 ATI 200 chipset mobo Outputs about 350 FPS

3. Intel Dual Core E2200 2.2Ghz
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM (Kingston Value RAM)
    Gigabyte Intel G31 chipset mobo Outputs 800 FPS Avg. Up to 1100FPS

Strangely enough, I consider this improved performance over a run of the mill P4.
    All rigs are running at stock frequencies.

The only advantage the E2200 has is the fact I don't have AV installed on that machine.
    That G31 is Intel's cheapest current chipset. At stock the E2200 is only .2Ghz faster than the E2180.
  8. larryiam

So would you go with the my intel setup or change it or wat? i need to keep the budget around 150$ so anywhere from 140-160$ will b ok........
  9. larryiam

I'm dumb I know

I think i am going to go with the AMD build because i would run into more money on the intel build because i have a IDE HDD an i would have to buy a SATA HDD so Should i go with the AMD?
    Oh here is an update this is the processor i am going with AMD. It has a lower manufacturing tech. Is that good?
  10. godsclown

godsclown Newcomer, in training

The intel Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 motherboard has one IDE connection port, so you can connect either 2 IDE HDD or 1 IDE HDD and 1 IDE CD/DVD drive. Of course, there are more SATA ports (4). Check your choice of intel motherboard if it does not have an IDE connection.

By the way, folks, the OS in my brain is in french, so you might run sometimes in some english glitches but I don't think it will lead to a crash or a blue screen of death ;)

godsclown
  11. larryiam

But doesn't it slow down when you hook a HDD and CD/DVD Burner up to the same IDE cable?

12. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

yes it does. but the hard drive will take priority over the CD/DVD so u will not see that much loss.
  13. larryiam

Ok well thats good! So would u guys recommend the a intel over amd then? What would be the best intel setup for around 150$ CPU, RAM, and Mobo.
  14. captaincranky

Well........

The ECS Intel board you're showing (ECS GF7050VT-M LGA 775 GeForce7050 / 610i Micro ATX Intel Motherboard) has a PCI-E socket. I always like to buy boards with onboard graphics since you can wait, save up and get a video card later. Then when you blow it up, (the video card), you always have the onboard to go back to.

If all you want is hi-def TV, you could even drop to a GT7500. IE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141065

This MSI board is a giant step backward in time; {MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard}. It doesn't have any SATA connectors, and while IDE works just dandy, you'll probably want SATA sooner or later.

The memory you're suggesting is unfamiliar to me. I always use Kingston "Value RAM". You will hear pro and con about this product. It works for me, always. It isn't an overclockable product, just generic RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117

AMD vs Intel is an argument that could go on for a while. There is a lot of performance for the dollar in what you've chosen, once you allow for the fact that you're sort of painting yourself into a corner if you go that route.

Oh, BTW all you need do is set the IDE HDD as master and you probably won't lose much performance.

You could always use an IDE HDD and SATA burners with the other board, but that being said, It sounds like an idea that would provoke a fairly long thread, should it go awry.
  15. larryiam

Wow well captain thanks for the info! Um not saying anything cauz im not that knowledgeable but that msi board that i linked has 2 1.5 GB/s SATA connectors. So Which system would be better for me and what i do? Ok well one reason i picked that MSI Mobo is because my chipset is a via and i just have to update the drives not install the os again when i get the new board.......Thank you so for your time!
    EDIT:Oh and wat would be a good Mobo for the intel system if its better? respect budget. :D
  16. captaincranky

Whoops......

I stand corrected. I simply missed that when I read the specs. I offer up my standard humble excuse, "I can't read, I used to work for the post office".

Here's a bunch of G31 Intel boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138121

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186145

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135063

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130177

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138125

Since I would likely spend a couple hours, a couple of times, trying to figure out which to buy, and misery loves company, I offer this compilation.

Again, I think that the onboard graphics are good enough to get you going, so that saves you some money. This unless of course you need HDCP from the jump, then you could look at that Biostar GT8500 card I linked. I bought the damned thing last week, before the rebate. Stuck it in, installed the driver, no problem, worked right off the bat. It does play regular DVD movies well, but so do the Intel GMA3100 onboards. OK, it's also plenty fast enough for Scrabble, (little joke there), beyond that, I don't know.
  17. larryiam

Well people make mistakes so i hold nothing against you! :D I am sticking with the onboard graphics like you suggested because i simply don't have enough green to cover the video card to. :) Now the question i come to is would it be better to go amd or intel? As for the Mobo I think ill stick to the one i linked above if i go with the intel but i just don't know which would be better..........so which one would you go with?
    EDIT: If i go with the Intel Mobo Can i use THIS ram in the board? It says single channel support only wat does that mean? Care to explain?
  18. josephjosephson

josephjosephson Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

if you want to overclock dont forget about the $55 e2160 that will do 3-3.4 ghz
  19. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

20. larryiam

Well i have looked and found this on the amd side and im considering these products.

Biostar

AMD

RAM

So is that good?? Suggestions.......
  21. captaincranky

It doesn't seem like 1GB of RAM would make you happy, would it? (AMD rig)

The Muskin Ram you linked is the correct voltage and timing for an Intel chipset, it should be plug and play.

The AMD versus Intel issue has been going on for years, it's not reasonable to believe that one thread will solve it.

That said, the 2 rigs you're suggesting are similar in capabilities. The Intel, (I think), would offer more potential for performance through upgrade, the AMD slightly better at stock settings.

Anybody want to climb on that assessment?
  22. larryiam

No one gig will please me....i was just wondering. Can the ECS Mobo i linked support dual channel ram? And i see wat u mean about the intel amd thing......ok ill go with the intel setup. Gb of ram......the penitum d..and idk bout the mobo....want a Mobo with dual channel ram support for later upgrade.......and ruling out amd........ :) Thanks guys for your help!!!
    Wait the ram i linked to the AMD build is 1GB.....not 2...
  23. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

I didn't read through alot of the posts above me....

So, i would say (being an intel fan) Intel ftw!
    Quad cores are be FAR better at "video encoding and hd movies" but at $150...you'll need at least $50 more. So i would say the E7200 because its built on 45nm. If that ≈$130 is too much, go for an E4600 like me :).
  24. larryiam

well i need a mobo....ram...and cpu for ~150$ so.....yea........
  25. captaincranky

NO, it's single channel
    Sorry, the AMD 680 chipset is single channel memory, the intel P31-G31 chipsets are dual channel.
    You're quite welcome.
    I vaguely remember mentioning that.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.