Asus reveals 14-inch ROG G46VW gaming notebook with i7, GTX 660M

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Asus has revealed a new gaming notebook that packs everything a strapping young gamer needs to frag enemies on the go: Ivy Bridge and Kepler in a 14-inch form factor. The ROG-branded G46VW is said to be Asus' first 14-inch gaming notebook, with previous G series machines measuring 15 or 17 inches. Despite being the smallest member of its family, Asus says the system doesn't compromise performance.

The G46VW will ship with your choice of an Intel Core i5-3210M or Core i7-3610QM, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM and Optimus graphics switching technology, up to 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, and storage options including one mSATA SSD and one 2.5-inch HDD or hybrid HDD. To start, Asus says it'll only offer a 1366x768 anti-glare display, but this will be expanded with more resolutions.

asus rog releases series g46vw gaming notebook

Given the G46VW's smaller size, Asus decided it would be best to exclude an optical drive, and that's probably fine with so many PC gamers relying on digital services today. Other specs include an HD camera and array mic, 2.0 stereo speakers, three USB 3.0 ports, a card reader, gigabit Ethernet, 802.11n or 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0, a VGA port, 3D support via HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2, and optional Thunderbolt.

Although it's smaller than other G series notebooks, the G46VW is said to have the same dual-cooling setup with independent fans for its CPU and GPU. Aesthetically, the G46VW is similar to Asus' G55, though the company notes that the newcomer's rear vents are a little more angled. You'll also find a backlit chicklet keyboard and a single-piece brushed aluminum wrist rest with a slight frontward taper for ergonomics.

asus rog releases series g46vw gaming notebook

The G46VW measures 13.7 x 10.3 x 0.9-1.5in (34.8 x 26.1 x 2.3-3.8mm) and weighs 5.5lbs (2.5kg). It's unclear how large the battery is, but Asus says up to six hours of run time is possible if you're running off the integrated graphics solution via Optimus -- an awfully optimistic figure in our opinion. Full pricing and availability details are unavailable, but Asus notes that the G46VW will be limited to the US upon launch.

Permalink to story.

I am still pissed for the G1 Asus laptop I bought back in the day when the "gaming series" Asus laptop begun. It broke 2years later because of nvidia embedded graphics chip. Stay away from asus gaming laptops. It is a real shame to pay a load of money and get faulty parts!

I never had any issues with my ASus G73sw thats a year and half old now. Added a 120Gb ssd to it and never been happier. But a 14 inch version would be too small to game on. But it is cool to have it scaled down and lighter. I wouldnt use this to game on but for everything else I do it would be nice to have.

I am still pissed for the G1 Asus laptop I bought back in the day when the "gaming series" Asus laptop begun. It broke 2years later because of nvidia embedded graphics chip. Stay away from asus gaming laptops. It is a real shame to pay a load of money and get faulty parts!
You did just state that this was an Nvidia graphics chip error, not Asus' fault. And it was probably just a random thing that occured - you can't keep away from a manufacturer that easily. Besides, Asus have always seemed like a fantastic company in terms of helping customers with faulty parts. I see them on Newegg quite a lot, if people have a problem with a product they bought.

it's not so much Asus but rather Nvidia's mobile chip.

Nvidia's mobile chip has been plaguing laptops since the early days 2007. my last HP laptop also had faulty mobile chip that was later found to be faulty. 2010 Macbook pros with Nvidia's 330m chip is also causing a lot of bricked laptops.

You did just state that this was an Nvidia graphics chip error, not Asus' fault. And it was probably just a random thing that occured - you can't keep away from a manufacturer that easily. Besides, Asus have always seemed like a fantastic company in terms of helping customers with faulty parts. I see them on Newegg quite a lot, if people have a problem with a product they bought.

I couldn't care less who's fault it is when I buy a laptop from Asus. I bought that laptop because I knew Asus and the wonders the company has done with electronics (specially mobos). It was irresponsible to launch that laptop which competed with alienware laptops and the cost was high, shipped with faulty parts. And yet again now with nvidia again.

I couldn't replace that chip, I could repair the laptop, I was out of warranty and it was because Asus shipped that mobile gpu. Anyway I can't do anything about it than troll about that experience and let any1 know that it sucked hard. Stay away from asus laptops! :D

I have been enjoying my ASUS G51J laptop for quite some time. It's also a member of the ROG series, and while it's now 3 years old it still handles all the Source games at fairly high settings. Some newer games that are coming out I've been forced to use 720p instead of 1080p and perhaps medium/lower settings.

Give me another year or 2 and I'll consider an upgrade.

Ah damn, initially limited to the US only?! Damn, I'm looking to buy a high end netbook and this would've been on top of my list spec wise.

Guess I'll have to look further, ... Macbook Air, XPS 12 Ultrabook or the Alienware M11x I guess I should consider? Any others?

Back