Asus reveals 14-inch ROG G46VW gaming notebook with i7, GTX 660M

By Matthew
Oct 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Asus has revealed a new gaming notebook that packs everything a strapping young gamer needs to frag enemies on the go: Ivy Bridge and Kepler in a 14-inch form factor. The ROG-branded G46VW is said to be Asus' first 14-inch...

Read more
  2. nickblame

nickblame Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

I am still pissed for the G1 Asus laptop I bought back in the day when the "gaming series" Asus laptop begun. It broke 2years later because of nvidia embedded graphics chip. Stay away from asus gaming laptops. It is a real shame to pay a load of money and get faulty parts!
  3. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

I never had any issues with my ASus G73sw thats a year and half old now. Added a 120Gb ssd to it and never been happier. But a 14 inch version would be too small to game on. But it is cool to have it scaled down and lighter. I wouldnt use this to game on but for everything else I do it would be nice to have.
  4. danhodge

danhodge Newcomer, in training Posts: 80   +13

You did just state that this was an Nvidia graphics chip error, not Asus' fault. And it was probably just a random thing that occured - you can't keep away from a manufacturer that easily. Besides, Asus have always seemed like a fantastic company in terms of helping customers with faulty parts. I see them on Newegg quite a lot, if people have a problem with a product they bought.
  5. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

it's not so much Asus but rather Nvidia's mobile chip.

Nvidia's mobile chip has been plaguing laptops since the early days 2007. my last HP laptop also had faulty mobile chip that was later found to be faulty. 2010 Macbook pros with Nvidia's 330m chip is also causing a lot of bricked laptops.
  6. nickblame

nickblame Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

I couldn't care less who's fault it is when I buy a laptop from Asus. I bought that laptop because I knew Asus and the wonders the company has done with electronics (specially mobos). It was irresponsible to launch that laptop which competed with alienware laptops and the cost was high, shipped with faulty parts. And yet again now with nvidia again.

I couldn't replace that chip, I could repair the laptop, I was out of warranty and it was because Asus shipped that mobile gpu. Anyway I can't do anything about it than troll about that experience and let any1 know that it sucked hard. Stay away from asus laptops! :D
  7. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 490   +75

I have been enjoying my ASUS G51J laptop for quite some time. It's also a member of the ROG series, and while it's now 3 years old it still handles all the Source games at fairly high settings. Some newer games that are coming out I've been forced to use 720p instead of 1080p and perhaps medium/lower settings.

Give me another year or 2 and I'll consider an upgrade.
  8. JamesR404

JamesR404 Newcomer, in training

Ah damn, initially limited to the US only?! Damn, I'm looking to buy a high end netbook and this would've been on top of my list spec wise.

Guess I'll have to look further, ... Macbook Air, XPS 12 Ultrabook or the Alienware M11x I guess I should consider? Any others?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.