AVG 9.0 recommends removing ZoneAlarm and Comodo - nonsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou3

After using NOD32 for a year, I decided to go back to freeware and downloaded AVG 9.0. The installation process detected my ZoneAlarm, warned that there could be conflicts with AVG, and strongly recommended that I remove it. I thought it would be a good opportunity to try Comodo, so I replaced ZA with it. When I tried to install AVG again, it gave the same warning about Comodo. I don't buy it (more to the point, I'm not about to buy the AVG security suite over this dubious warning), so I want to try another antivirus.

I'm thinking about Avast, but I also noticed that Comodo offers a free antivirus. Have you tried Comodo's antivirus or heard anything about it? Also, while searching TechSpot for answers to my questions, I found a post in which somebody said that Comodo slowed down his Internet connection. Is this a common observation? Any word about ZoneAlarm vs. Comodo (effectiveness, stability, light on resources)?

Try Avira Antivir and Ashampoo Firewall instead. Both are freewares and causes no conflict on my system. Sorry don't use ZA and only heared of Comodo just now.

Best to use Windows Firewall (disable Remote Assistance change Remote Desktop for computers on your network and not for computer on the internet, then tighten Group Policies and SRP (Software Restriction Policy) Then change the DEP to software. For AV - Avira PE is okay Rising Antivirus 2009 Free is better can be found on http://www.freerav.com/ If you use that then get Rising PC Doctor (I use this to patch/repair the OS) http://www.rising-global.com/products/rising-pc-doctor.html

Those who want to know how to tighten Windows Firewall just post your request here.

I'm using Windows Firewall too on my PC and installs Ashampoo on others. Tighening your firewall is easy by just blocking UDP TCP ports inbound and outbound

I decided to install Comodo Internet Security, which is the firewall and antivirus together. So far it's working fine. It seems stable and light, the firewall isn't affecting my Internet speed, and the antivirus scans quickly and updates without issue. After I've gotten some longer-term experience with it, I'll post a more complete review.

I've read in other posts about Windows' firewall being sufficient with some tweaks. I might look into it one of these days, but for now I feel better with a third party application.

Hi Lou3

Your post doesn't indicate your OS. Don't rely on Windows Firewall if XP.

/* edit */
Oh. your specs DO say XP!

The troubles with AVG 9.0 mount... We avoid AVG now, where as the AVG 7 was awfully good for the time.
I would think that the engineers at AVG could design antivirus software that would work with two of the premier free drive protectors. For that reason alone, I would continue to avoid them.
There are plenty that work better... including Avira Antiv, Alwill Avast, Kaspersky, Nod32, and others.

AVG seems to be sliding down the slippery slope.

Raybay, that's why I switched from AVG to NOD32. It started slipping too much. When I tried NOD32's trial, it so completely outclassed AVG that I didn't even look back.

Good to know. All my friends are sold on Nod32... while I am still happy with Avira Antivir... But so disappointed that AVG didn't keep up the good work... they were once do good...

MS Security Essentials is garnering quite the support. I installed it and it caught a trojan I had for a few months that AVG could not detect. I had both AVG and MSSE installed at the time of detection.

MS's product has garnered good reviews, so I would recommend giving it a try for a while.

Bad news

I did some more research on Comodo and found the following unflattering review of the antivirus: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333814,00.asp

The review basically says that Comodo's antivirus did a horrible job of detecting and cleaning. The thing that instantly broke the deal for the whole suite for me, though, is this:
The real-time protection on one test system kept reporting the same threats over and over but couldn't manage to quarantine them. The full scan couldn't remove them, either. At the end of the scan, Comodo admitted defeat and offered a link to "learn more about Comodo malware removal products." This led to a page offering live-chat support with remote-control virus removal—but only if I paid $39 for the Pro edition of the product. That sort of bait-and-switch won't go over well with users, I imagine. It made me mad.
Needless to say, I dumped Comodo right there. I installed ZoneAlarm and Avast. Now that I see Avast, I remember trying it for a short while. So far I prefer NOD32, but I'll keep Avast for a couple weeks just to get a better feel for it.

I just use Comodo Firewall Only I don't use the AV has it's weak. Firewall is solid. AV you need to use any of the others available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back