AVG reports malware from Techspot Lingo ad

TJGeezer

This is weird - I clicked on a large top-of-page banner for the Lingo phone service (it was at one of the top TechSpot stories, forget which one) and AVG blocked the linked page as a malware loader. I know AVG isn't 100% free of false positives but I sure wasn't going to ignore the warning.

Unfortunatey AVG's link to "more information" only led to a general virus encyclopedia so I can't give more detail at this point. (AVG hate hate hate)

Anybody know more about the supposed threat from CNet's Lingo promotion ad?

I really don't know what to tell you, I saw that ad yesterday but not today so I haven't had the chance to click and see what's up with that.

Like you said false positives are a possibility, more so considering the ad is coming from our tier 1 ad partners which only deal with high quality advertisers on an individual basis, compared to Google AdSense which uses a free market approach instead.

I will keep you posted and thanks a lot for the note.

i just got the same thing From avira on a TS page it popped up "web page.gen" called it malware

On a TS page or upon clicking on that ad? I believe this Lingo company is a VoIP provider like Vonage. If we find there's something wrong with their site we will have them removed from rotation of course.

Mine was just on a TS page, first time ever i have seen that, probably a false positive, just thought you might want to know Julio. i can pull up my Avira quarantine list and get you the exact details if you would like.

TS Avira malware

Hi Julio,
This is what popped up while on TS earlier. I dont know what page it was as I had three tabs open and all three were TS. I do not believe I clicked on the ad,not intentionally anyway. hope its of assistance. (see attached)
oh yes, I meant to ask you https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127959.html post #8 relative?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• TS avira.JPG
    TS avira.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 8
I will check tomorrow on my own machine with the antivirus' resident protection turned on, though I use avast nowadays instead of avira or AVG.

If other members can bring some extra feedback I will appreciate it (issue or no issue using AVs).

PS: @red1776, no relation, I was named after my grandfather :).

On the Lingo banner

On a TS page or upon clicking on that ad? I believe this Lingo company is a VoIP provider like Vonage. If we find there's something wrong with their site we will have them removed from rotation of course.

It happened when I clicked on the Lingo banner ad. I was curious about the $4.95 and month offer and their international service, since I live in Mexico. Plus, it didn't hurt that ad clicks generate revenue for TechSpot.

But the resulting AVG warning was a bit of a shock, so I wanted to report it.

Back