Best firewall for Windows 8

Barney

I recently installed Windows 8 Pro (Dual boot with Windows 7) on my computer and also Avast Free Antivirus 7. I am looking for best free firewall for Windows 8 Pro. I have been using Comodo Firewall in windows 7 and I love it, but Comodo is not supported in Windows 8.

Thanks in advance.

I too ran Comodo for a long time, as you noted, it's not useful in Win/7. I opted to use the default Win/7 FW and found that I could get the same level of control I had with Comodo - - just peek under the Advanced settings.

Both windows defender and windows firewall failed miserably on tests

I recomend comodo firewall only (comodo.com) and avast a.v.

I keep things simple on both OS 7 and 8.
WFW + WFC 64-bit (Windows Firewall Control Free) add-on for WFW = Windows Firewall) That's all you need. No app needs to call home and that's what WFC will let you know which one does and you can kills that connection.

Get decent router + some thing with hardware based firewall...

Software based firewalls are always going to be vulnerable at some point and yes windows firewall is enough if setup correctly.

I disagree. windows firewall is basic,,, , you need to disable windows firewall and install a nice firewall like Windows Control Firewall

Why would you disable windows firewall and use this program? This program was designed as a add on for windows firewall. They both should be running.
@ Barney, Your best bet would to be to run windows firewall. Their is really know need for a third party one in win 8. Unless that is what you want. If you are behind a router. Then you should be fine with windows firewall.

Back