TechSpot

Best firewall for Windows 8

By Barney
Dec 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I recently installed Windows 8 Pro (Dual boot with Windows 7) on my computer and also Avast Free Antivirus 7. I am looking for best free firewall for Windows 8 Pro. I have been using Comodo Firewall in windows 7 and I love it, but Comodo is not supported in Windows 8.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

I too ran Comodo for a long time, as you noted, it's not useful in Win/7. I opted to use the default Win/7 FW and found that I could get the same level of control I had with Comodo - - just peek under the Advanced settings.

learninmypc and DragonMaster Jay like this.
  4. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,310   +238

As jobeard says, the default firewall is just fine. No 3rd party firewall is needed.

5. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Maniac Posts: 518

I disagree. windows firewall is basic,,, , you need to disable windows firewall and install a nice firewall like Windows Control Firewall

drensmith likes this.
  6. drensmith

drensmith TS Rookie Posts: 86

Both windows defender and windows firewall failed miserably on tests

I recomend comodo firewall only (comodo.com) and avast a.v.

7. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

Post links to tests, please. *nerd*

learninmypc likes this.
  8. Erik

Erik TechSpot Staff Posts: 293   +10 Staff Member

9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

I keep things simple on both OS 7 and 8.
    WFW + WFC 64-bit (Windows Firewall Control Free) add-on for WFW = Windows Firewall) That's all you need. No app needs to call home and that's what WFC will let you know which one does and you can kills that connection.

LookinAround likes this.
  10. Reconix

Reconix TS Rookie

Get decent router + some thing with hardware based firewall...

Software based firewalls are always going to be vulnerable at some point and yes windows firewall is enough if setup correctly.

11. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Why would you disable windows firewall and use this program? This program was designed as a add on for windows firewall. They both should be running.
    @ Barney, Your best bet would to be to run windows firewall. Their is really know need for a third party one in win 8. Unless that is what you want. If you are behind a router. Then you should be fine with windows firewall.

learninmypc likes this.

12. Vikash Tirkey

Vikash Tirkey TS Rookie

Use Windows 8 inbuilt firewall.

learninmypc likes this.
  13. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,310   +238

Yep, W8 firewall. MS has improved its firewall.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.