BSOD after WinXP screen on startup, STOP: 7B

wiremonkey

I have an HP Pavilion dv5000 with the following specs:
Processor Type: Genuine Intel CPU T2300
Processor Speed: 1.66GHz
Total Memory: 1536 MB
Video Memory up to: 128 MB
BIOS Version: F.15

It starts up normally until just after the Windows XP loading screen and then displays the BSOD with the following technical informaiton:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78AE524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I am also unable to start it up in safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is the description of the error:

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

What did you do before this started to happen?

This is the description of the error:

What did you do before this started to happen?

My DVD drive stopped working and i reinstalled the driver software for it. Could that be the problem? If so, how should I go about reversing that?

Hit the F8 key at start up, then select Last Know Good Configuration and hit Enter.

That should get it back to before the driver was installed. Try it and report back.

XP should have suitable drivers for your CD/DVD drive, why did you need to update the driver? Did you get it from the manufacturers site?

I tried what you said about starting it up with the last known good configuration and it showed the XP loading screen for a few seconds and then the BSOD appeared again.

It had said the CD/DVD drive could not be found and to try reinstalling the driver, so i downloaded it from the HP website.

Ok, I have removed the CD drive and booted the computer up, it got until the XP screen and then went to the BSOD again after a few seconds.

OK, reconnect the CD drive and put your WinXP disc into the drive. Boot up and go into the Bios and set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order. Reboot, follow the prompts to install XP, you will first receive an option to use the recovery console then you will come to a screen with the option to Repair XP, select it by typing R. Follow the prompts to repair the OS on your hard drive.

Hopefully after this has completed you will be able to boot normally all the way to the desktop.

If it still crashes start the process again and select the Recovery Console, at the cursor type in chkdsk /r (exactly as I have typed it with a gap in the middle) and hit Enter. Follow the prompts and let it complete the test, this may take a while and might appear to freeze, leave it to complete and see if any errors appear during the process.

If the test doesn't report any errors and it still crashes at boot up you should go for a clean install. If you need to retrieve any data from the drive hook it up to another PC to copy your files, but you should first scan the drive for any Malware just to be on the safe side.

When complete you will have to reinstall all your mobo drivers and those for any graphics card, wireless cards, etc. DO NOT install anything for the CD drive, leave it with the generic windows driver.

If you get stuck anywhere or there are some bad errors reported from the chkdsk routine post back with your observations with as much detail as possible.

Back