BSoD on Booting XP Pro SP2: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

This occurred once on startup, some time ago, can’t remember what I had done before.

Recently, I get a BSoD almost every time. It occurs towards the end of startup, just when it seems that things are OK. Once the system manages to stay on, it doesn’t occur again, till next startup.

Error messages:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x5E8CE7B6, 0x00000009, 0x00000000, 0x5E8CE7B6)

My Error Event 1001 agrees with above:.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:
0x000000d1 (0x5e8ce7b6, 0x00000009, 0x00000000, 0x5e8ce7b6)

My system: XP Pro SP2. I’ve installed SP3 but the problem continues just the same.

I searched, but could not find clear cause and solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, especially in the stressed condition I find myself. Thanks in advance to anybody replying.

0xD1 errors are caused by either a faulty driver or buggy software. When your Blue Screens come up is there driver mentioned along with the code number?

Thanks for the interest Route44.

No driver is mentioned on the BSoD. Also the Device Manager seems in order.

I've also done virus scans & HD test.

Have you changed any your software or added software recently before your BSODs occured?

Thanks for the continued interest.

As I said, it first happened on boot-up some time ago and I don't remember what I had done on the previous day. As the computer then worked, I didn't think of investigating then. But recently it recurred and is now happening on most startups.

Okay, attach a few of your minidumps: My Computer > C Drive> Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. It is these files that we need.

How do I attach files? I tried clicking the paperclip, seemed to work but I can't see the attachments.

I also cannot open these files. If you can't open them either, I'll download a suitable MS tool and try again. I'll need some guidance on this.

Click on manage Attachment > click on Browse to Upload File from Computer > find Local Drive:C > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files > Open the Files > Upload.

WinDebugger is what opens and reads minidump files. I believe Major Geeks has instructions on how to install and set-up.

Thanks again. Till I install WinDugger as you say, since it appears I also need to install Symbols of about 200 MB size, I attach 2 Minidump files as they are, just in case you have the means to open them.

However, there is an important new development, which may shed more light:

This morning, though the BSoD occurred at about the same time just at the end of startup, I now got a different error message on it, which seems to locate the fault in a Windows driver (?!):

[QUOTE}
A problem…

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Fastfat.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time…

Check to make sure …

If problems continue…
If you need to use safe mode…

Technical information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xCCF77861, 0x00000000, 0xF768714A, 0x00000000)
Fastfat.sys – Address F768714A base at F7683000, Datestamp 48025b94

Beginning dump…
Physical memory…

Contact your system…
[UNQUOTE]

I searched for the file Fastfat.sys on my PC and found it in 4 locations as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ 140kB System File
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers 141kb System File
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 141kb System File
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cf8ec753e88561d2ddb53e183dc05c3e 141kb System File

I also searched the MS site & the web for the above message, and again it seems cause and cure are not clear.

Do you believe the 2 kinds of error message have the same cause or that Fastfat.sys is suspect, though it seems to be a Windows driver?

Please advise me what to do next.

0x50 errors can be due to faulty RAM as well as L2 RAM cache or video RAM. Other causes can be virus software.

Your one minidump is 0xD1 and these are caused by faulty drivers or buggy software. Unfortunately it listed a core Windows driver which isn't much help because it is too general.

The main one of interest is your other minidump which is 0x23 and it lists Fastfat.sys which indicates your file system drive. As per auhma.org here is the description.

0x00000023: FAT_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within a read or write to a FAT16 or FAT32 file system drive. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of FASTFAT.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Run a full haddrive diagnostics on your harddrive. You can get a free utility from your harddrive manufacturer. Run both the S.M.A.R.T. and Long Tests, especially the Long.

2. Try the other suggestions auhma gives such as ChkDsk.

3. Just for peace of mind run MemTest for a minimum of 7 Passes. www.memtest.org

* You may find that after trying all of these suggestions and yet your problem hasn't been resolved that you may want to do a Windows Reapair.

Thanks for the analysis and suggestions. I’ll see what I can do, and if I have any news I’ll come back.

For now, I just have a small query as regards Memtest86, which may also interest other members.

The tool appears to have 2 versions, both free and both 1.75 MB, but the higher version is older!:
Version 3.4a dated 27 Dec 07 http://www.memtest86.com/ (free d/l on left)
Version 2.1 dated 21 Feb 08 http://www.memtest.org/

Do you know what is happening and which one do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back