TechSpot

Can i use my Computer as a Upscaling DVD player?

By cartera
Jan 3, 2010
  1. Quite literally as the title says, can it be done? I don't want to buy a up-scaling dvd player unless i have too. I know it is certainly possible but i am quite sure my computer currently does not do it!
    Many thanks in advance,
    AC

Computer Specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    4GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800MHz Ram
    Nvidia 9800gtx+ Graphics card with DVI - HDMI Output
    LG 37" Full HDMI Screen.

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,875   +1,220

Your graphics card is responsible for the upscaling component.
    You should be able to use PowerDVD (or any other media player) in conjunction with the FFDShow ( for picture sharpen/denoise/deinterlacing/colour/warp/resize etc.) codec.
    FFDShow comes bundles as part of the K-lite codec pack which is available as a free download from this site http://www.techspot.com/downloads/775-klite-codec-pack-full.html
    The codec pack is available as Standard, Full or Mega -and remember to update it to the newest version. The codec pack is a VERY USEFUL addition to any media centre as it also works with MPEG-4 encoded video (XviD, DivX H.264 etc.) and has the latest sound updates.
    Hope this helps.

3. vectorsigma32

vectorsigma32 TS Rookie Posts: 154

lol more thenenf power lol just get a codec pack and u will be sw3t wat os r u using ?

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,978   +1,570

Question for DividebyZero;
    Is this New Zealander slang then mate?

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,875   +1,220

Not the New Zealand I'm from- sounds like our poster might have spat out the Thorazine while the nurse was distracted.

6. vectorsigma32

vectorsigma32 TS Rookie Posts: 154

wat i mean to say is u hav more then enf grunt behinden u to use it az a dvd player XD u just need a good codec pack and there a few u can get depending on ur os

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.