Chrome 71 now rolling out with improved ad blocker, user's billing protection

Polycount

Staff
In brief: As the use of ad blockers grows, some websites have resorted to displaying abusive or irritating ads to make up for lost revenue. With Google's Chrome 71 update, though, the company will be combating these practices by automatically blocking every ad on a given website if even a handful of harmful ads are allowed to run wild.

Google Chrome 71 is now rolling out for Windows, Android, Mac and Linux.

Anybody who has used the internet for an extended period of time is probably familiar with the many ways advertising can go wrong. Though the worst offenders are pretty easy to spot -- pop-ups, for example -- they aren't always easy to avoid. Ad blocking browser extensions are the obvious answer to most advertising woes, but they aren't perfect. Some of the more sinister ads out there can still mysteriously bypass that type of protection, redirecting users to shady websites, or locking their browser down with fake, unskippable warning messages.

If you're reading this article, you probably already know how to deal with those problems. However, less tech-savvy users fall victim to predatory advertising every day. To help reduce that possibility, Google is rolling out an improved anti-abusive ads feature. The feature will effectively block every ad on a website if it regularly displays abuse advertisements such as the ones mentioned above. This means even ads Google would ordinarily consider harmless will be blocked if site owners do not pull them within 30 days.

Chrome 71 will also warn users if they visit a website that is known to use shady or misleading billing practices. Specifically, Google is taking aim at sites that use your cell number to hit you with additional fees on your monthly phone bill.

While every website handles advertisements a little differently, for our part, we try to avoid running any form of intrusive ads in the first place. We have strict guidelines regarding the advertising formats that are allowed to run on TechSpot, and as a result, you won't ever see us running pop-ups, overlays, or other irritating (and potentially harmful) ads here.

Ad impressions are one of the primary ways TechSpot stays afloat, so it's in our interest to provide you with the best user experience we can. That means we tend to show fewer ads per page than other publications, while also using asynchronous loading to reduce page load times.

You can take advantage of Chrome's abusive ad protections now, version 71 of the browser is available in all major platforms via auto-update or direct download.

Permalink to story.

Oh really now? Now that we've all gotten so comfortable with our ad blockers it seems to be a problem? Hmm... HOW ABOUT THAT!? Too little too late IMO.

Edit: ads have been causing issues since I was 13 year old on my parents PC. Whether it's just tricking people to click on it, or intentionally trying to get malware on someone's PC. I've been teaching myself since then to ignore advertisements... that's even effected my life today, in canceling cable TV and focusing on my own Plex server. It's not that I have an issue with paying for things... I just don't want to pay for things AND have to watch advertisements. I understand how it all works... I just don't care. If I pay for something I dont want to ****ing watch ads!!! Also, I found myself watching little NEW content on cable TV. I figured I could watch all the ad-less reruns I want on my own Plex server... but I digress. ;) lol

Will they ban their selves as they are the most harmful entity in advertisement? All ads are basically lies and deception, we need better laws on ads. If ads were just name of product and what it does I would be fine with them. Ads should have no music, people or emotions of any kind. Price and unaltered picture of the product could be allowed. Good that people are waking up to the fact that if a product has an ad it's a bad product as they need to lie to sell it.

Hmmmmm ..... this sounds like a sucide threat by Google ..... shouldn't we arrest them and put them in a mental institution until they are cured? Could ... would certainly take a loooooong time!

I would bet this is just a sly attempt at CENSORSHIP of advertisers. CENSORSHIP of "free" speech is rampant in tech!!

Corporations are not government. Freedom of speech does not apply. They can ban and silence anyone using their platforms as they please.

Great just what websites want, Google playing world police. I can't see any way in which that might benefit Google...............................................................................................................

No thanks google I will continue to let my router handle the ad blocking.

I was just planning on doing this, however, I sometimes come across stuff not working with my current browser addblocker, and then I just switch it off with the press of a button. Things like my ISP's internet tv webpage won't load vids for example. Isn't it tedious to quickly circumvent your adblock on the router if needed?

Cheers!

I would bet this is just a sly attempt at CENSORSHIP of advertisers. CENSORSHIP of "free" speech is rampant in tech!!

Corporations are not government. Freedom of speech does not apply. They can ban and silence anyone using their platforms as they please.

So you think that anyone should be able to refuse business based on personally opinion? Because that is what it comes down to at the end of the day, someone making a personal opinion on what is acceptable and what isn't. We make Gods of men when we surrender our rights to others.

So you think that anyone should be able to refuse business based on personally opinion? Because that is what it comes down to at the end of the day, someone making a personal opinion on what is acceptable and what isn't. We make Gods of men when we surrender our rights to others.

It's literally law of the land. My personal opinion doesn't mean anything. It's a black and white law. Corporations are not a form of government, therefore you have no constitutional right to freedom of speech while using their services.

I was just planning on doing this, however, I sometimes come across stuff not working with my current browser addblocker, and then I just switch it off with the press of a button. Things like my ISP's internet tv webpage won't load vids for example. Isn't it tedious to quickly circumvent your adblock on the router if needed?

Cheers!

If I run across sites that have issues with the blocking its just as easy to whitelist them on the router. Or to temporarily turn off all blocking to check the site. Only a little more work than the 1 click browser option but still pretty quick. I don't want to go the browser route because at the router level it does it for all devices connected and I don't have to bother with installing ad blockers per device.

Great just what websites want, Google playing world police.
They certainly don't want me on the policing team. It is my opinion that all ads (that does not exclude Google) are abusive.

If I'm watching a Youtube/Facebook (Facebook mostly they bypass my uBlock Origins) video and come across an ad. I will stop the video and refuse to watch it. I waste my time on things I want, not what others want. The sad thing is. Even though I cancelled the video, ad viewing was probably credited as soon as it started.

Huh why? uBlock Origin is best around, better than AdBlock.

If you like problems with having uBlock crash unexpectedly and letting in things that it really shouldn't.
By all means have at it the original adblock is pretty much hated by any ad developers.
So in my books thats a real +1, it stays on my chrome, firefox, and shitty edge browser.

Great just what websites want, Google playing world police.
They certainly don't want me on the policing team. It is my opinion that all ads (that does not exclude Google) are abusive.

If I'm watching a Youtube/Facebook (Facebook mostly they bypass my uBlock Origins) video and come across an ad. I will stop the video and refuse to watch it. I waste my time on things I want, not what others want. The sad thing is. Even though I cancelled the video, ad viewing was probably credited as soon as it started.
If I hit a news site and the video starts right off with an ad, it's click and gone. Tolerance for ads is approaching zero. We are flipping inundated with the damn stuff. It's gone too far.

Huh why? uBlock Origin is best around, better than AdBlock.

If you like problems with having uBlock crash unexpectedly and letting in things that it really shouldn't.
By all means have at it the original adblock is pretty much hated by any ad developers.
So in my books thats a real +1, it stays on my chrome, firefox, and shitty edge browser.

The original Adblock is a memory hog and much less efficient overall than uBlock Origin.

Even better than the latter is the Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender combo, which hides your ad blocker from most sites that won't let you browse until you disable. Best combo for Chrome.

Go to https://www.detectadblock.com/ to test. uBlock Origin alone fails it, the Nano combo passes it with flying colors.

Even better than the latter is the Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender combo, which hides your ad blocker from most sites that won't let you browse until you disable.
I don't know about the others, but I'm happy with blacklisting those sites.

Back