TechSpot

Dell restocks Adamo XPS, retracts previous claims

By Matthew
Mar 18, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retracting its previous claims, Dell has restocked its Adamo XPS. Earlier this month, the company's online store stopped selling the ultra-thin notebook, and only a limited stock was available through a handful of major retailers. When questioned about the sudden lack of supply, Dell explained that the Adamo XPS was intended as a special edition "engineering marvel" meant to show off the company's capabilities.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

You have to wonder about a company that just flat-out lies like that. There's nothing wrong with saying they're going to restrict inventory at first release. Nintendo does that every time with their gaming consoles and publicly announces it way in advance.

Bad way to run a business in my eyes....

3. Eddie_42

Eddie_42 TS Rookie Posts: 213

The phrase, "you got played" comes to mind. props to the marketing department for keeping everyone one there toes, and not having to deal with the wrath of "we just decided to stop making them for a bit so our factory could catch up"

4. levar

levar TS Rookie Posts: 232

really?! So there was never anything wrong in the previous related news about the Adamo stopped due to bad hinges and what not and being about to get in in the UK and there where only like 3 or 4 left in stock?! Now this, I agree bad way to run a business and still if you're even thinking of purchasing this I'd take a second thought and buy an Apple instead.

5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I wonder if this is because lots of people rushed out to buy one because they heard it was going to be a limited edition, so then Dell decided to restock them because sales were finally picking up. Obviously "lots" is a relative term in this case, because I can't imagine they sold many to begin with.

6. ansarimikail

ansarimikail TS Rookie Posts: 40

A bit too expensive for my tastes. It is pretty though, and probably nice heat transfer from below. On my laptop you could cook an egg, and thats right on the WASD keys.

7. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

that's why i love apple too ;) ... Dell XPS machine is still one of the top 5 of my fav machine on my wishlist.

I till can't buy a desktop PC, so have to check out all laptops around. Price can be a major deciding factor but i need peace of mind most.

cheers!

8. jjbeard926

jjbeard926 TS Rookie Posts: 69

Uh-huh. Yeah, now this makes Dell sound so believable. Spin some more Dell, spin some more.

I'm putting my money on a resurgence in interest in these after the story of their scarcity came out and that Dell had planned on ending the product life cycle due to lagging sales previously.

9. Tizzlejack

Tizzlejack TS Rookie Posts: 26

You had better buy one of these quick before they pull them off the shelves again.
    AMIRIGHT!?

10. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

The unit is really cool. I like the Adamo model, because of how competitive it is compared to other companies' small laptops.

It does not even compare to the netbooks. :p

11. Renegeek

Renegeek TS Rookie Posts: 96

I think this is the worst laptop ever, they should discontinue it...

12. alexandrionel

alexandrionel TS Rookie Posts: 94

Why won't Adamo XPS just go away? Please ...just go away.
    I am starting to hate this laptop because of DELL strategy with it (overpriced,ugly design, the so called "limited edition").

13. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

It looks neat :) , but ya I doubt I'm a target for this product and have no interest in it. Dell's misstep here seems to be the left hand not knowing what the right is doing...maybe this is why they are starting to slip in the overall computer industry /shurg.

14. tripplejjj

tripplejjj TS Rookie Posts: 28

This was the case where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. If the sales reps were so misinformed, then Dell has a serious issue with communication within its corporation. This would also explained the existence of the Adamo XPS.

15. megrawab

megrawab TS Rookie Posts: 93

So the company lied the first time that Dell Adamo stopped from being sold?.... Or maybe they just changed their mind about their plan for Adamo and there's nothing wrong with it... Dell Adamo looks like its going to break but Dell's other laptops are really cool...

16. megrawab

megrawab TS Rookie Posts: 93

So the company lied the first time that Dell Adamo stopped from being sold?.... Or maybe they just changed their mind about their plan for Adamo and there's nothing wrong with it... Dell Adamo looks like its going to break but Dell's other laptops are really cool...

17. pipopaz

pipopaz TS Rookie Posts: 70

Well I still think I wouldn't buy an overprice good looking computer like this one, aren't they losing money rather than making it? The target audience for a $2000 price start must be really restricted with today's economy.

18. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Haven't you heard...the economy is bouncing back! And I'll be tending to my money tree garden :p

19. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

LOL, Dell seriously just be honest the first time.
    Dell should really still update this PC and lower the price.

20. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

good way to drum up demand and then sell more product.

21. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 TS Rookie Posts: 102

hey what has happened to dell?
    is there any demand for XPS?
    i dont know! really!
    but its a good marketing technique! :D

22. IamBD

IamBD TS Rookie Posts: 31

Just another "status" computer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.