Demonoid operators arrested in Mexico, Anonymous vows revenge

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Fresh details emerging this week have helped answer some ongoing questions about the orchestrated takedown of Demonoid. Knocked offline by a DDoS attack on July 24, early reports suggested that the torrent tracker's downtime would be somewhat temporary, pending repairs by its IT administrator.

That prognosis took a rapid turn for the worst Monday when Ukrainian authorities announced that they ordered ColoCall, the nation's largest datacenter and Demonoid's host, to disable the site and fork over data. At the time, the move was obviously part of a coordinated international effort, but it was unclear to what extent, besides speculation about Demonoid being a "gift" from the Ukraine to the US, proving the former is "serious" about addressing copyright infringement.

The IFPI, a London-based international record label consortium, and INTERPOL have since revealed their involvement in organizing the strike, which isn't just limited to the Ukraine. In addition to the site being disrupted via ColoCall, Mexico is conducting criminal investigations into alleged Demonoid administrators and has reportedly made several arrests along with seizing assets. Unfortunately, additional details on this front are currently unavailable.

"Demonoid was a leading global player in digital music piracy which acted as unfair competition to the more than 500 licensed digital music services that offer great value music to consumers while respecting the rights of artists, songwriters and record companies," IFPI anti-piracy director Jeremy Banks said. "In this instance police forces on different sides of the world worked together with INTERPOL and the music industry to successfully disrupt the distribution chain for illicit digital music products," said John Newton, of INTERPOL.

In light of the latest developments, many Demonoid users have grown concerned about whether they'll be targeted. Given the magnitude of such an undertaking, TorrentFreak believes it's unlikely that authorities will seek a large quantity of users and if anything, they might make an example out of a few heavy uploaders. The IFPI declined to comment on whether members are being investigated.

Unsurprisingly, Anonymous has vowed revenge against those involved in the takedown, or in its own words, the "usual cabal of lobbyists, SOPA/ACTA supporters and their bribed politicians." The group claims it's already on the offense, launching DDoS attacks against various sites operated by the Ukrainian government. The hackers also promise to restore Demonoid by "any means necessary," which could include a series of mirror sites operated by several Anonymous members.

Permalink to story.

this just proves anon is full of *****s. Demonoid WAS illegal, and theres no argument against that...regardless of whether or not your glad its gone.

Yeah they might take a webste down for two hours....whooooooo.
Anon are a ****ing joke.

I used to be on the fence with anon.. now all I can say, " rain hell", make the greedy buggers feel it.

this just proves anon is full of *****s. Demonoid WAS illegal, and theres no argument against that...regardless of whether or not your glad its gone.
Yeah, but they don't care what's actually legal, they care about what they view as oppression. They're not *****s, they're more like society's outcasts who use hacking as a means to empowerment. More like a passive-aggresive child vowing 'I'll show them' to the other kids at school because they were picked last at dodge ball.

more power to them. we live in a free world and I believe sharing is caring ;) so screw monopolies and corrupt politicians who keep preaching about how much we share with our friends. While the Politicians keep destroying our sites and criminalizing sharing, they hold shares in the very company that takes a stand against us. the only thing that the politician receives is a fat wallet while someone sits in jail.

I dont understand the people that support these kind of people. Would you work for free? There are some people that do work for free, but most people work and release music with the intention of getting PAID. You shouldn't get something for free ONLY because you feel you should. If you want something, buy it. If you don't, then don't. No one forces you to pirate, its your choice based on YOU wanting something for FREE. And when someone STOPS you from stealing from them, you get mad and strike back? Retards...

I suppose you think letting a friend borrow a movie or game is illegal to.
Matter of fact Microsoft might make the next Xbox unable to play used games.
My point is piracy in reality, no company is hurt by hit it.

more power to them. we live in a free world and I believe sharing is caring ;) so screw monopolies and corrupt politicians who keep preaching about how much we share with our friends. While the Politicians keep destroying our sites and criminalizing sharing, they hold shares in the very company that takes a stand against us. the only thing that the politician receives is a fat wallet while someone sits in jail.
I don't know what's scarier... that you are probably old enough to vote, or that soon I'll have to pay for your healthcare.

Sharing is caring.. hooray, internet communism! Spend millions making a movie, developing an app or creating a game? YOU DIDNT BUILD THAT! Share it all for free!

Do some people know how dumb they sound?

And a passive-aggressive child saying "I'll show them" is one thing, particularly if he, say, goes on to college and makes more money then all those that picked on him. This is more like the passive aggressive child taking a machine gun to services innocent people use because of vague connections to people the retarded child doesn't like.

Anonymous please do do your worst we are all so proud oif your support for demoniod.

Lawyers still argue about whether a BitTorrent site is illegal or not, but I doubt that fight can be won. It depends on the status of the files being shared.
The history of the Internet is full of examples of the value of "stolen" files being wildly exaggerated. Organisations such as the MPAA seem to have never understood that a million illicit copies is not a million lost sales.
Meanwhile the "stolen" files are still out there, multiple copies, waiting for somebody to download them again, Could Demonoid return? Each time a recovery gets harder, but it isn't impossible.

I kind of treat piracy as a Try-Before-Buy. There I admitted I do pirate (Occasionally), but with the amount of shear crap that lots of corporations from numerous industries make you cant not expect people to pirate. When it comes to movies and video games for example, I don't want to have to spend lots of money for a crap product hence why lots of people pirate.

BitTorrent is used for legal means aswell, so they wouldn't take it down.

I know what you mean, I often pirate, but I usually by the music anyway once I have the money, the only times when I technically haven't bought it after is when I needed the same song in a different format.

This reminds me of a book called 1984 that I've read and studied. Orwell didn't mean it to be a how-to handbook, but it looks like it's happening faster with each passing hour. Up yours, Big Brother!

Look here first of all we have to come to the conclusion that we live in a world were super cooperation?s, rich, and certain industries are raping our countries recourses and pushing a corporate dictatorship on all of us, buying off are governments so they can impose their will on us. I say steel it all and ftw why should we play by the rules all the time?. They would gladly steel from us and now they have the nerve to arrest us for downloading a mp3?. These lil fat cat basters have lost their minds to all those who feel bad get over it and I hope anonymous gets them even worse than before.

I have two reason why I almost never buy films:
The first reason, I don't want to buy a dvd or blu-ray, where you need to wait 20 minutes before you can start to look because of the stupid trailers and copyright notice.

The second reason, it isn't fair that there is region protection, if I want buy a dvd in America I need to have dvd player that can bypass it or the film is only available in other continent and can't buy in my continent

The last reason, I only look them once maybe twice not worth buying it, I like things like hulu but there are to late and there are blocking people that aren't from America.(still don't know why people out other countries not may see those series.

I buy dvd's but only if they are worth it and know that I go to look them more then 10 times in my life.

Encase of music, yes I download music, but lately I'm using more and spotify.

Oooh. Anon is getting angry.

If they were really serious about making change, as I've said ad nauseum, they would actually hack something of value. Break into some lobbyists computers and show proof of bribery. Hack into bank accounts of politicians and show ill gotten gains.

Instead they hack obscure sheriff's departments, and of course gaming forums.

Once they do something that actually has some serious social impact, other than making PS3 owners upset, then I'll cheer their cause. But they really are all talk.

Even hackers these days are lazy. Back in the day they'd do some serious ****. Now they just do lazy DDoS attacks and go after easy targets. No different than kids who think Liking a FB page is actually going to deliver food to starving children in Africa.

Wishing that Anonymous could release all the dirty laundry of the MAFIAA.
I do not buy one thing that they put out nor do I care about downloading their products.
I do spend my money on INDIE & Local Art.

Most of us don't mind paying for our products. What I mind is the artist getting pennies while the record companies get dollars. Why should I enrich the corporations?

I feel the same about all products. Levi's cost a buck or so to make? And Levi wants $40 for them? Come on. A CD is made for pennies, the artist is paid in nickles, and the record company keeps $10 on every sale? Tell me that's fair.

What we want is a fair price, and fair renumeration for the artist. You'll note that some artists have gone web only for distribution and cut the robber record companies out all together.

I've seen touring artists locally selling their self pressed CD's for $10, which I gladly pay, because I know the ARTIST gets the proceeds.

I'm not sure whats scarier the fact that good websites are being shutdown.,.MLB and NFL blackout all my fav team games....PS3 rips you off....PC sharing was 1 place we had something....now its going....going .....gone......soon.......but what scares me is the closed minded sheep /voters that are supporting the prosecution and oppression ......the vast majority of voters are brainwashed media sheep....baaa ......

At least anom are doing what they do because they believe in it. As opposed to the forces on the other side of the coin who were given lobbyist dollars(legal bribes) to create and enforce these laws.

But I agree Demoniod blatantly and purposely shared copyrighted material and if ever there was a reason for enforcement of these laws this would be it.

I have pirated but I know its wrong. This isn't like TBH or megaupload where users can share whatever they want and law makers try to target the entire site for what SOME users upload.

Everything iv(no I do not have extensive knowledge on there uploads) seen demonoid present is copyrighted.

p.s. Yes I have tried to justify pirating by saying how much they over charge us, but you know the old saying if you don't like it don't buy it. This is entertainment not a necessity like gasoline, food or water. There is no reason to steal entertainment because you do not like the price.

p.s.s. Yes we can vote with our wallet buy not going to the movie theaters and yes it is a shame that other people over paying will result in MY movie cost to be way to high. But that is democracy. Part of its imperfection. Like when slavery existed because the majority wanted it and yes it really sucked for the few, but high movie prices are far from a human indignity like slavery.

Then again those smuggling slaves to the north were considered thieves by the south. However as said before they were not stealing for the sake of entertainment. They stole for a necessity, freedom and to stop the oppression of there fellow man.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE RANT

Sharing is caring.. hooray, internet communism! Spend millions making a movie, developing an app or creating a game? YOU DIDNT BUILD THAT! Share it all for free!
Do some people know how dumb they sound?
And a passive-aggressive child saying "I'll show them" is one thing, particularly if he, say, goes on to college and makes more money then all those that picked on him. This is more like the passive aggressive child taking a machine gun to services innocent people use because of vague connections to people the retarded child doesn't like.

How does online piracy have to do with shooting? Last time I checked no one has died because of online piracy. No one has died just because a movie was pirated. Geez MilwaukeeMike's metaphor were pretty ****ing terrible, but your addition to it takes the cake. Ideologically torrents aren't illegal it's what is the torrent contains. The only reason why the judicial system is targeting demonoid is for money.

I want everyone to picture this thought in their mind. Imagine your are building a house...you take a lot of consideration in the planning and cost in buiding the house. Then a person, whom you do not know comes up to you and says," Hello, I have noticed your building a house, may I see all aspects of what you are building?" Now you have a choice: 1) Do you let this person, whom you do not know, come in to your house and see the wonders of your imagination that has come to life, or 2) do you tell the person to bug off and mind his own business. Now, say you let this person, whom you do not know, in your house of your dreams and they look around for a bit and say a few months later you see the same person building the exact same house, just as you did. Would you be upset that your plan for your dream house has been exploited, or would you just let things be. It seems that this whole situation is biased on how people feel about it. I personally agree that some information should be public and some information should be kept away from the public's eye. For example, do you think the say the information on how to build an atomic bomb should be made public. After all we as humans are on the top of the food chain, hence the only thing that can extinct our race is ourselves.

Back