Duke Nukem Forever has been delayed, again: June 10, 2011

Emil

Staff

Duke Nukem Forever, the game that became infamous for being delayed indefinitely, has been pushed back once again. I know what you're thinking: no, this is not an early April Fools' joke. Sure, it's hilarious, but at the same time it's pretty sad.

Two months ago, the game got yet another set of release dates: it was supposed to arrive on May 3, 2011 in North America and May 6, 2011 in the rest of the world. Now, it's apparently coming on June 14 in North America, and on June 10 in the rest of the world. No, that's not a typo, unless Gearbox is just messing with us:

Gamers have waited over a decade to play the official sequel to Duke Nukem. The title was originally announced by 3D Realms in 1997. The project experienced all types of problems, however, and it was passed over to Triptych Games and Gearbox Software in 2009, with multiplayer components provided by Piranha Games.

Half a year ago, Gearbox confirmed that development on the title was being completed. Given how long the game had been in such a state (some 14 years), there were still many skeptics. Then the game was demoed live, but many would still not believe.

Millions refuse to get their hopes up until the game is in their hands. Be honest: do you really think Duke Nukem Forever will ship in three months?

Permalink to story.

This isn't that big a deal. We already know that Triptych and Gearbox have been working hard on DNF, and have been able to give actual ingame footage instead of just a load of smoke and mirrors. So for them to delay by a month to get the game polished and working properly really isn't a problem.
I'd much rather this than an on-time, buggy as hell release.

On another plus, at least they haven't been reported as cutting the game up into little bits, to sell back to us later in the form of DLC.

I'm in my 40's...
...so I'll have "shuffled off this mortal coil" by then.
But I'm telling my eight-year-old son to keep himself physically fit...
...so that one glorious September morning, in 2038...
...he can go to Gamestop and pick up his copy.
They may push it back then.
It may become a generational affair. Receipts passed from parent to child.
But someday, somewhere, someone may get the damn game.

For a game, with such a primitive/louse storyboard, and graphics that are not particularly advanced nowadays, they sure take their time. I'm one of those famous fans who waited for Duke Nukem in 1999. And now, after 12 ******* years... pffh... I've grown up :|

gwailo247 said:
I'm in my 40's...

This right here, this is why I come to techspot, to read just plain funny sh*t like this :)

Might just be a marketing ploy.

But I for sure would more than welcome their delay if it indeed is to polish the game
Unlike some other developers *cough cough*

The old fears for DNF are unfounded since there is no central, obsessive character in charge of the project. No cache will be lost between May and later this year so kudos to GB and Piranha for having the balls to polish (pun intended).

Based on what the "big companies" have being releasing, i prefer to wait for a couple of months instead of buying a cheap bug piece of crap game.

gwailo247 said:
I'm in my 40's...

Ha ha! One of the best laughs I've had all day :) If there was a post of the day/week/month award - you deserve it! :)

Even more ironic than this whole Duke Nukem fiasco, is the fact that it's named, well, "Forever".

Releasing right after E3? I have a feeling we'll be seeing a big marketing push then :) . The June 14th NA release is a bit confusing though.

Either way I'm actually revealed considering in the next couple of months both Portal 2 and Brink are coming out.

Not again....

This happened again since the last release of Mattahan Projects.

Time to kick back and play the good ol' nukem in the dos. <3

Given Gearbox's track record, I say let's cut them some slack. If any developer can bring Duke to the finish line, these guys would be on top of the list.

This game is cuerently on its 4th publisher and 3rd developer...lets not get our hopes up till its in our console or on our pc's lol.

eh, it's only a console game ported to PC anyways. Not like it has worthy MP play.

Prolly got delayed becouse of the uptight whiners not likeing something and getting it edited to make it for little children (which it never was for)

Back